Trembley's tirade

Frobby

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha this is great...

"I'll tell you the honest-goodness truth. I stood behind the King County sheriff, right behind him in the dugout, and he let me watch it," Trembley said. "And every once in a while he screened it for me like a pick in basketball so nobody could see me. I didn't have my hat on or my glasses on. You laugh, you think I'm funny. You have no idea what I've gone through. No idea. I can't talk for a week now, my hat is a mess. That's OK. We won the game. We got some big hits when it counted and the guys played well."

I do not know the protest rules, but it seems to me that it would depend on the circumstances...

He hadn't reached second base putting it in the category of being a judgement call.

vs

Misapplication of the rules - i.e. if it was not in disagreement where the runner was but the umpire misapplies the rule... A misapplication of the rules would be protestable, no?

You're right. But last night, the disagreement was clearly about the ump's claim about where Reimold was at the moment that the OF'er threw the ball. That's a judgment call based on the ump's observation of the play. It is not a misapplication of the rules, as would have been the case if they were going by what Jim Hunter said when he read the rules wrong (on not one, but two different plays).

Regardless of this specific play, Trembley's tirade told us a few things.

One, he will back his players up to the end. He was upset about the call, but it wasn't until Reimold told him where he was at the time of the throw that Trembley really exploded. He was upset about the call, but he was ANGRY about the umpire lieing about his player! Good for you Dave Trembley.

Two, he lightly mentioned that regardless of what the media or fans (us? :rolleyestf:) think about how he holds people responsible, he said he does it behind closed doors and more or less said its none of our GD business how he conducts his discipline. So those who thought Trembley just lets things go and lets players off the hook appear to be dead wrong.

Three, he remembers everything and brings it up in timely ways. The Pedroia call was God-awful...perhaps one of the worst blown calls I have ever seen. Trembley knows he's gonna get fined and suspended for tossing his hat in last nights game, so he also throws in the Pedroia call knowing full well that a) the Commissioner will be watching this tirade and will thus be made fully aware of THAT blown call, and b) he is getting suspended anyway, so they won't add extra fines for calling out the umps on that play. Had he gone off last week about that call, he'd now be on his second suspenion.

Overall Great job by Dave Trembley last night. He protected his team, his players, and made the league aware that he is NOT happy at all about the awful calls going against this team lately. :clap3:

Not only the Pedroia call, but the Varitek check swing that directly cost them that game.

That one was truly awful. The home plate calls him out and because he starts walking to first the ump there calls him safe. Total BS. A complete coup for the Sox on behalf of the umps.

Whats funny is that I had a post locked and loaded yesterday about wanting to see DT throw a fit about something: a bad call, the losing, whatever...just to see a pulse from him. I didn't post it thinking I'd get flamed but I guess he got the point anyway.

Regardless of this specific play, Trembley's tirade told us a few things.

One, he will back his players up to the end. He was upset about the call, but it wasn't until Reimold told him where he was at the time of the throw that Trembley really exploded. He was upset about the call, but he was ANGRY about the umpire lieing about his player! Good for you Dave Trembley.

Two, he lightly mentioned that regardless of what the media or fans (us? :rolleyestf:) think about how he holds people responsible, he said he does it behind closed doors and more or less said its none of our GD business how he conducts his discipline. So those who thought Trembley just lets things go and lets players off the hook appear to be dead wrong.

Three, he remembers everything and brings it up in timely ways. The Pedroia call was God-awful...perhaps one of the worst blown calls I have ever seen. Trembley knows he's gonna get fined and suspended for tossing his hat in last nights game, so he also throws in the Pedroia call knowing full well that a) the Commissioner will be watching this tirade and will thus be made fully aware of THAT blown call, and b) he is getting suspended anyway, so they won't add extra fines for calling out the umps on that play. Had he gone off last week about that call, he'd now be on his second suspenion.

Overall Great job by Dave Trembley last night. He protected his team, his players, and made the league aware that he is NOT happy at all about the awful calls going against this team lately. :clap3:

Spot on post. And this was a timely explosion, both the one on the field and his pointed remarks after the game. The team needed him to do this, and he needed to do this for his own sake.

Gut feeling - you're going to see a little spring in the step of the Baltimore Orioles today.

No kidding. He frequently mentions how he sees everything that happens. How anybody could think he notices things that aren't right but then keeps quiet and doesn't address it with players is beyond me...

My respect level for Trembley has grown immensely since last's nights tirade.I'm tired of not getting any respect from major league umpires and so is Trembley. I think it will wake the team up. I was starting to doubt Trembley's immediate future with this ballclub but no more.

That one was truly awful. The home plate calls him out and because he starts walking to first the ump there calls him safe. Total BS. A complete coup for the Sox on behalf of the umps.

Well, hell, they had already let him call his own hit by pitch in the series. Why not let him call his own check swing?:rolleyes:;)

No kidding. He frequently mentions how he sees everything that happens. How anybody could think he notices things that aren't right but then keeps quiet and doesn't address it with players is beyond me...

In your opinion is it fair to wonder if he getting through to the players or are they tuning him out if whatever he is saying/doing behind closed doors does not seem to have an impact?

I was in OC when this went down and didn't get to watch MLB Network or read the Hangout. How bad was the reaction to that one?

Archived