Baseball Book?

terporiolefan

I'm trying to find a book on the game and business of baseball from a fan's perspective for my friend as a birthday gift. In doing an Amazon search, I found a few such as Baseball for Dummiesthat teach you how to play the game, but I'm really looking for one that teaches how the game is played and offers explanation into the business done behind the scenes (roster decisions et al.)

Two years ago, my friend wouldn't have been able to tell you who the Orioles are, but is now a growing fan. I would love to find a book that would help increase her baseball knowledge and answer her many questions!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

It might not be exactly what you're looking for but its still a great book.

http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Between-Numbers-Everything-About/dp/0465005470/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247209468&sr=8-1

I read it a year or so ago, but if I remember correctly there are articles about both the game and the business aspect.

It's stat oriented, which may be a turn off to some, but I learned more about baseball from this single book then I did from any other. Unlike other "statty" baseball books (like Baseball Prospectus) its quite readable and well written (even though its written by the same guys if I recall). Not to say that I don't like the BP annual, but this book is much more then just numbers and a little paragraph.

As a side note, if you fail to find what you want yet still want to give her a good baseball book, pick up Three Nights in August.

Edit: I just reread your post and realized that it seems like your friend is a quite recent fan who's still learning about the game. Three Nights in August pretty much is just a running diary of what is going through Tony Larussa's mind during three games against the Cubs. It teaches a lot of basic baseball facts such as when to hit and run, when to bunt, pinch hitting etc. It's a fantastic way to illustrate baseball strategy.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Nights-August-Strategy-Heartbreak/dp/B002CMLRAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247209977&sr=1-1

I'm trying to find a book on the game and business of baseball from a fan's perspective for my friend as a birthday gift. In doing an Amazon search, I found a few such as Baseball for Dummiesthat teach you how to play the game, but I'm really looking for one that teaches how the game is played and offers explanation into the business done behind the scenes (roster decisions et al.)

Two years ago, my friend wouldn't have been able to tell you who the Orioles are, but is now a growing fan. I would love to find a book that would help increase her baseball knowledge and answer her many questions!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Was just about to recommend Three Nights in August myself. Just finished reading it. WONDERFUL book, absolutely pleasurable from cover to cover. The author goes inside Tony LaRussa's head for literally every decision before, during, and after a baseball game. Perfect for casual fans who want to know more about the ins and outs of a baseball game... it's not only "hit and run" type stuff, but LaRussa also explains why he has to sit JD Drew, why he risked Pujols' career by putting him on the field instead of the DL, why he simply HAD to leave Matt Morris in the game on a busted ankle... etc.

Archived