Team USA vs Guatemala

I disagree. A deep draft means you're getting good talent later in the first round, anyway. With what I've observed in Jordan's drafting style, I think he could do very well in the mid- to late-round picks. I think Baltimore's stated desire not to spend more than I guy is worth can somewhat handcuff you if there isn't someone like Matusz (talented and willing to sign) or Wieters (uber-talented enough to warrant a big over-slot bonus) available. I think the Orioles will have a good group to choose from next year, particularly if they improve a bit and are drafting in the 8-15 range.

You're right in that there will be plenty of talent, but that doesn't stop me from being greedy and wanting one of the top 5 talents instead of the 8-15th best.

Stotle, what are your thoughts on lefty Cody Wheeler from Coastal Carolina, he'll be a Junior next year...just wondering if you had any info or thoughts on how he projects at the next level. Thanks

Stotle, what are your thoughts on lefty Cody Wheeler from Coastal Carolina, he'll be a Junior next year...just wondering if you had any info or thoughts on how he projects at the next level. Thanks

I like Wheeler -- but have only see him pitch on film (was hoping he'd start on Saturday, but they bumped Gray up). From what I remember (correct me if I'm wrong) he's an upper-80s FB touching low-90s with a big curve and workable change-up. Good command. A little on the small side. Stuff could play as a mid-rotation ceiling, but durability concerns. I also think he made it through two regular seasons (FR and SO) without taking a loss, no? UNC was his first in regionals?

I like Wheeler -- but have only see him pitch on film (was hoping he'd start on Saturday, but they bumped Gray up). From what I remember (correct me if I'm wrong) he's an upper-80s FB touching low-90s with a big curve and workable change-up. Good command. A little on the small side. Stuff could play as a mid-rotation ceiling, but durability concerns. I also think he made it through two regular seasons (FR and SO) without taking a loss, no? UNC was his first in regionals?

Everything you said sounds about right, his first collegiate loss was in the regionals against UNC this year. He also threw a no-hitter against a pretty good Hawaii team in Hawaii this year, I think he had about ten strikeouts that game. He did seem to wear down towards the end of both this season and last season though. If you do get a chance to see him pitch live, I'd like to hear what you have to say about him. Thanks!

Everything you said sounds about right, his first collegiate loss was in the regionals against UNC this year. He also threw a no-hitter against a pretty good Hawaii team in Hawaii this year, I think he had about ten strikeouts that game. He did seem to wear down towards the end of both this season and last season though. If you do get a chance to see him pitch live, I'd like to hear what you have to say about him. Thanks!

Kolton Wong is a Hawai'i kid, and one of Wheeler's teammates on Team USA. I like his bat, but can't for the life of me figure out where he plays as a pro (small, thick build). I think it will be LF, but he'll need to show corner power -- might profile along the lines of a Travis Snider.

I will definitely see Wheeler, this upcoming spring -- not sure if it will be live or not.

Archived