Trembley Suspended

Sanfran327

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trembley suspended

By Roch Kubatko on July 10, 2009 11:49 AM | Permalink | Comments (6)

Bench coach Dave Jauss will serve as acting manager tonight and tomorrow while Dave Trembley serves a two-game suspension for his actions Tuesday night in Seattle.

Trembley was ejected by plate umpire Tom Hallion while arguing the decision to halt Nolan Reimold at third base on an overthrow from the outfield, though the rookie appeared to have rounded second.

The suspension and undisclosed fine stems in part from Trembley's admission that he continued to manage from the dugout tunnel at Safeco Field.

I'll quote George Costanza here: "Is that wrong?"

Yes, it is, according to Rule 4.07, which states that, following a manager's ejection, he must take no further part in that game.

Next time, purchase a fake mustache and sit on the bench. Or borrow Aubrey Huff's.

Trembley is allowed to participate in pre- and post-game interviews, but that's about it.

By the way, Trembley's suspension doesn't count as a roster move to create room for shortstop Cesar Izturis. Nice try, though...Go O's!!!

On wired Wednesday, he was so hoarse from screaming the night before, that he could barely do the interview. Wow, I thought the veins in his neck were going to pop. :eek:

At least, he didn't seem to be spitting all over the ump, as some managers have been known to do. :D

Personally, I love it when managers lose it. It shows spunk and passion. I'm betting most of the team loved every second of his tirade.

Dude, not only did he lay in to that nights crew, he laid in to the Sox series crew AND he flat out admitted to standing in the tunnel!

That's what did it.

Managing from the tunnel happens. The problem is that he admitted it out loud. That's flaunting a rule violation that everybody looks the other way about if you just keep your mouth shut. The minute he said that, they were gonna suspend him, the only question was for how long.

Of course, the alternate view is that admitting what you did is a sign of integrity. It's not like he was pretending to do one thing while he really did something else...

All hail The Switch-Hitting Jesus! :notworthy:

Fixed. ;) :laughlol:

We all know if Francona or Gira-whosis did this, nothing would happen. It's a case of MLB allowing the so-called "premier, large-market teams" to start at the 50-yard point of a 100-yard dash. The problem for them is that once Baltimore's cavalry arrives and hits its stride, those once-mighty teams will start running like eight year-old girls. :laughlol:

Sort of ironic that Trembley gets suspended for managing the game from the tunnel when it's against the rules, but the umpires who don't even seem to know the rules of the game continue to go unpunished.

Maybe they had, maybe they hadn't. MLB doesn't air out their dirty laundry in public as far as umpires goes.

Fixed. ;) :laughlol:

We all know if Francona or Gira-whosis did this, nothing would happen. It's a case of MLB allowing the so-called "premier, large-market teams" to start at the 50-yard point of a 100-yard dash. The problem for them is that once Baltimore's cavalry arrives and hits its stride, those once-mighty teams will start running like eight year-old girls. :laughlol:

I see this and similar similies used a lot here. Really what is wrong with 8 year old girls that they should be used as a symbol for derision? some of them are better ballplayers than 8 year old boys. In my experience the only people who have problems with 8 year old girls, are 8 year old boys and maybe that answers my own question.:rolleyestf:

The Trembley suspension is so absurd I felt the need to weigh-in.

The umpire clearly made the wrong call in this case. Of course, this is not subject to video review so the umpire gets a free pass. From my understanding of the situation, the umpire actually LIED to Trembley in order to get play to resume. Naturally, Trembley consulted with his player and found out the truth, that Reimold had rounded second. Trembley had every right to be upset with this series of events as umpires owe the fans, players, coaches, etc much more than a lie to cover his incompetence.

It was a mistake for Trembley to admit he continued managing from the tunnel, however, it's common knowledge this is S.O.P. for the situation. Two games is far too harsh a penalty for such a common infraction.

If MLB would pull their head out of their behind they might see a terrible umpire who deserves a reprimand for acting in an unprofessional manner, unbecoming of a Major League Umpire. That call and his actions amount to a stain on the profession. Hopefully, this has already happened, behind closed doors.

It was a mistake for Trembley to admit he continued managing from the tunnel, however, it's common knowledge this is S.O.P. for the situation. Two games is far too harsh a penalty for such a common infraction.

Admitting he did it is not a common infraction. It wasn't the being-in-the-tunnel part, it was the saying-it-out-loud part. Once he said that, they pretty much had to suspend him.

Maybe they had, maybe they hadn't. MLB doesn't air out their dirty laundry in public as far as umpires goes.

Well I hope so. It'd be nice if we could hear something about it, even if it doesn't specify which umpires. Maybe a report at the end of the year citing how many times the umpires were reprimanded and the plan to ensure that sort of thing doesn't continue to happen. The free pass that umpires get (whether real or perceived) is unacceptable.

Archived