Tillman starting the Futures Game

charliec107

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not real impressive but it was only one inning. His fastball looked to top out at about 92. His curve looked good but he only dropped one in there while I was watching and he got behind most of the hitters. He did show good poise no matter what he was feeling inside. I'll go by what he's done all season over this one inning but I was hoping to see a more impressive outing.
Pitch FX had him sitting at 93-95. Nice.
PitchFX had him topping out at 96.

This goes to show you how the stadium gun can be off. Pitch FX is a very good source. I still dont understand how Thorne can be so bad at messing up what pitch is thrown. He called a fastball from Tillman a slider. Tillman doesnt even through a slider! Regardless, His change up is an above average pitch when thrown for a strike and his fastball was thrown hard with good life and the hook is beautiful. Though the #'s he put up arent pretty, you could see the hitters off balance, the fielding let him down IMO on 2 plays, Heyward was playing a bit deep, and he got a bad jump. If this was a major league tem and Tillman was pitching, IMO he would have made it through withoutallowing a run....If there was no throwing error, that grounder to the right side would have atleast cut the lead runner.

Regardless, I am very impressed with the outing, especially after eharing what pitch FX data read....

And I remember about a week ago, many folks came down on me for saying that Tillman can touch 97. I guess he throws a bit harder than many here gave him credit for. 3 above average to plus pitches with good command, deception, movement and poise; I really like him as our top 1 or 2 prospect....

That's good to know. I was watching ESPN. Maybe their gun was off because at first it was saying 88 mph and I was like, "what?". Later on to Montero it was showing 92. Then they stopped showing the readings.

Yeah they had an 88 MPH 3-0 pitch that was way wrong. I really did like his changeup though, it really does seem to have come a very very long way....

The ESPN broadcast gun was useless. They had a fastball of his clocked at 84 and a changeup clocked at 88. Going by nothing more than my eyes it looked like he was in the 91-94 range.

First time seeing him throw outside of an inning in spring training that was on tv. His mechanics looked very good and smooth. Fastball had good life though it's pretty straight. The curve looked as good as advertised and the change looked solid though he had trouble getting it over.

The ESPN broadcast gun was useless. They had a fastball of his clocked at 84 and a changeup clocked at 88. Going by nothing more than my eyes it looked like he was in the 91-94 range.

First time seeing him throw outside of an inning in spring training that was on tv. His mechanics looked very good and smooth. Fastball had good life though it's pretty straight. The curve looked as good as advertised and the change looked solid though he had trouble getting it over.

His fastball generally has good movement on it, it seems explosive to me. Its kinda hard to tell certain movement from our camera angle.

I think he was expecting to get the calls on the outside corner and the Ump wasn't giving that pitch to him at all. I saw four or five pitches on or near the outside black and the Ump called everyone a ball. The defense also did not do him any favors. He was however working higher in, and out of, the strike zone then he should be.

His fastball generally has good movement on it, it seems explosive to me. Its kinda hard to tell certain movement from our camera angle.

The explosiveness I saw today, the movement not so much. But like I said, I've only seen him pitch 2 innings total. If the scouting reports say his fastball has good movement I'm not going to argue after watching 1 inning today.

I think he was expecting to get the calls on the outside corner and the Ump wasn't giving that pitch to him at all. I saw four or five pitches on or near the outside black and the Ump called everyone a ball. The defense also did not do him any favors. He was however working higher in, and out of, the strike zone then he should be.

Good observation. He was getting squeezed on the outside.

I was impressed, stat line notwithstanding. Very effective FB, the curve is a genuine 12-6 hammer. I would like to see a little more speed differential on the change, but that's all.

Good observation. He was getting squeezed on the outside.

I was impressed, stat line notwithstanding. Very effective FB, the curve is a genuine 12-6 hammer. I would like to see a little more speed differential on the change, but that's all.

Well, its hard to guage with that messed up gun they were using, but the 1st few changes I saw were in the 82-84 range which is a good differential. Its also good because all 3 of his pitches are different speeds, break to different planes and are all very effective.

Archived