Someone else's summation of the 09 draft

I like reading other people's opinions on our draft, and this is just that, a few of my favorites were....

4. Randy Henry, RHP, South Mountain CC (AZ), #116 overall, 6’3’’/198: This is probably one of the more intriguing names in the entire draft. Henry was supposed to be a solid 2008 draft prospect before he blew out his elbow and missed his senior year of high school. He ended up at South Mountain as a result, and he was held back a lot during the season. He only threw 11 innings, but as the year went along, his stuff got stronger and stronger. Now he’s considered a 19 year old kid without much mileage on his arm, and he’s got the pure stuff of a high-upside starter. I thought he might last a round or two later, but he’s got the pure talent to be a round or two higher. He still hasn’t signed, and he’s got another year at South Mountain, so he might command a little more money than slot, but he’s going to sign, and it will probably be before the deadline. DOB: 5/10/90. Commitment: None.

15. Garrett Bush, RHP, Stanton College Prep HS (FL), #446 overall, 6’4’’/190: This marks the transition to the unsignable or organizational player territory for the Orioles. Bush has a great combination of pro body with pro arm, and he has the added plus that he lacks significant mileage on his arm, as he served as a reliever for the most part in high school. However, he lacks the polish of most highly-touted prep pitchers, as he focused on catching before realizing his pitching potential during the last couple of years. I thought he might be signable in the top ten rounds, but it’s more difficult this far down. Great pick for talent and draft position, but I fear he may end up at Auburn without $250K heading in his direction. DOB: 10/11/90. Commitment: Auburn.

We apparently drafted a few guys toward the end that this guy said we will not sign due to a strong commitment which happens a lot, but itd be nice to nab one or 2. He isnt as high on Tolliver, Cowan or Wirsh as I am, but still like to hear his opinion on the situation....

Who wrote this stuff?

Reads like Andy Seiler.

He is well read in his sources (though he never mentions that he collects info and provides a summary . . . he acts like he came up with the result himself), but I doubt he is a first hand evaluator. He seems to graft a lot of different sources together. He was writing for First Inning, but I don't see this there.

I got it from sickels site and yes, it is Andy Seiler...He was down on a few guys that I dont necessarily know why he was down on. He did confirm that Hobgood can touch 96 with his fastball which is what I have been fishing for lately.

I got it from sickels site and yes, it is Andy Seiler...He was down on a few guys that I dont necessarily know why he was down on. He did confirm that Hobgood can touch 96 with his fastball which is what I have been fishing for lately.

I'm curious -- how did he confirm this?

Yeah. That old saying don't believe everything you read thing really applies with amateur scouting.

Give it a couple weeks and we'll know exactly what he throws.

I mean, I think Seiler does okay with his writing. What I find as a failing is that he nevers lets anyone know if he is looking at things himself (which is impossible because there are too many guys). The thing I find amusing is that he was providing commentary on picks in the 30s and 40s and acting like he knows a great deal about the guys. Either he is the next big thing or he is grafting without attributing . . . while also making it look like he formulated the ideas himself.

I was under the impression that Bush would be demanding much more than 250K. I really hope that we're able to sign him though.

I like the upside of Henry, Cowan, Bush, and Cameron Coffey. I'd really like to take a chance by getting all four guys signed, and then I'd take a long look at Jarrett Martin and Matt Nadolski. We really have a chance to bolster our lower minors with solid pitching talent.

I'm curious -- how did he confirm this?

Well, in the draft report he said that Hobgood is not overpowering and tops out at 92, and I mentioned to him that I had heard he throws a bit harder than that, and he replied on Sickels site saying that he tops out at 95-96. So I dunno where he gets his info, but he gave 2 different answers for where Hobgood tops out at....

I mean, I think Seiler does okay with his writing. What I find as a failing is that he nevers lets anyone know if he is looking at things himself (which is impossible because there are too many guys). The thing I find amusing is that he was providing commentary on picks in the 30s and 40s and acting like he knows a great deal about the guys. Either he is the next big thing or he is grafting without attributing . . . while also making it look like he formulated the ideas himself.

Yeah, that wouldnt be right to do... How could a person honestly and actually know that much about these guys, its impossible to see them all on 1st hand experience, physically imposible, so he must be getting the info from other sources. In order to see every player in the draft play, you would have to go to see something like 5 different players a day play for a year, which means that there is no such things as a job, wife, kids or a life in general...

4. Randy Henry, RHP, South Mountain CC (AZ), #116 overall, 6’3’’/198: This is probably one of the more intriguing names in the entire draft. Henry was supposed to be a solid 2008 draft prospect before he blew out his elbow and missed his senior year of high school. He ended up at South Mountain as a result, and he was held back a lot during the season. He only threw 11 innings, but as the year went along, his stuff got stronger and stronger. Now he’s considered a 19 year old kid without much mileage on his arm, and he’s got the pure stuff of a high-upside starter. I thought he might last a round or two later, but he’s got the pure talent to be a round or two higher. He still hasn’t signed, and he’s got another year at South Mountain, so he might command a little more money than slot, but he’s going to sign, and it will probably be before the deadline. DOB: 5/10/90. Commitment: None.

This was my favorite line, good to know he thinks we'll get him.

I also laughed a little at the line as well. Of course it will be before the deadline, we can't sign him after :laughlol: (I realize he probably meant it won't be at the deadline, but still sounded a bit funny).

Maybe he actually talked to area scouts who saw him reach 96 on their radar guns.

Maybe. It's difficult to tell because he isn't really transparrent as far as where he gets his info. He has links to various sites that cover draft prospects, so I assume he reads all of those. But I can't tell how much, if any, is first hand info.

I think it's an impressive collection of info (I assume since this is your first post you are either Andy, a fan or someone otherwise associated) but I'd appreciate knowing more about where the info comes from. If he/you are speaking with cross-checkers and scouts, it would add more to the reports to say so. Just my opinion...

Archived