Spoone Interview

alexei606

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no way of listening to it, but am very interested in what eh says. Can someone give a quick summary? How hes feeling and throwing?

Basically he's feeling great, everything is going well, and he's expecting to be in Aberdeen by July 27th. He is throwing simulated games soon.

On a side note, I'm not a fan of the arm action in that picture.

I have no way of listening to it, but am very interested in what eh says. Can someone give a quick summary? How hes feeling and throwing?

Chorye indicated that he feels great throwing and that his velo, curve, CH and command are back. He's been throwing BPs and the the plan is to pitch an inning, take a day off, pitch another inning, take off and hopefully be at Aberdeen in Aug. He wasn't sure if he could pitch multiple innings - may be by Sept. You could tell that he is a competitive guy and really wants to be pitching.

Basically he's feeling great, everything is going well, and he's expecting to be in Aberdeen by July 27th. He is throwing simulated games soon.

Yeah. Looks nasty. Not sure how old or how accurate, though.

Im not a fan either, you can see the inverted W. It isnt as bad as Prioer's was, atleast not that you can tell from the picture, but there also is no telling how much higher his elbows go before he gets in his power position.

I can definately see how that could put strain on the arm though, all you gotta do is try doing it without even throwing and you see how awkward that feel on your arm....Also, the idea of him being overworked in the 07 season into the playoffs is already bad, but if he is being overworked with the inverted W, it makes matters worse....

Im not a fan either, you can see the inverted W. It isnt as bad as Prioer's was, atleast not that you can tell from the picture, but there also is no telling how much higher his elbows go before he gets in his power position.

I can definately see how that could put strain on the arm though, all you gotta do is try doing it without even throwing and you see how awkward that feel on your arm....Also, the idea of him being overworked in the 07 season into the playoffs is already bad, but if he is being overworked with the inverted W, it makes matters worse....

Well that's because it doesn't come natural for you. Most pitchers that use an inverted arm action don't try to do it. It's just how they naturally throw a baseball.

Well that's because it doesn't come natural for you. Most pitchers that use an inverted arm action don't try to do it. It's just how they naturally throw a baseball.

I disagree here. That motion was taught with claims that it increased velocity. That and an extreme scapular load was supposed to be the revolution of pitching mechanics. While it's effectiveness can be debated, the fact is that it's an unnatural motion for the arm. That when combined with throwing the ball at high speeds can increase the chance for injury.

I disagree here. That motion was taught with claims that it increased velocity. That and an extreme scapular load was supposed to be the revolution of pitching mechanics. While it's effectiveness can be debated, the fact is that it's an unnatural motion for the arm. That when combined with throwing the ball at high speeds can increase the chance for injury.

This is somthing that I find interesting. As coaching evolves different theories are developed based on anacdotal situations that in the end become proven to be completely wrong. Is this one of those situations? Was Prior's velocity because he was taught these mechanics or was it a case of he threw hard and these were the mechanics he had? Then the followup question is do the mechanics actually increase velocity? I have read Mike Marshal's view of the Prior situation and he did not think Priors velocity was a result of these mechanics and he also thought Prior's wrist position would lead to him breaking down, of course the Cubs promptly ended thier relationship with him after he suggested that Prior remain in the minors and undergo a mechanical overhaul.

This is somthing that I find interesting. As coaching evolves different theories are developed based on anacdotal situations that in the end become proven to be completely wrong. Is this one of those situations? Was Prior's velocity because he was taught these mechanics or was it a case of he threw hard and these were the mechanics he had? Then the followup question is do the mechanics actually increase velocity? I have read Mike Marshal's view of the Prior situation and he did not think Priors velocity was a result of these mechanics and he also thought Prior's wrist position would lead to him breaking down, of course the Cubs promptly ended thier relationship with him after he suggested that Prior remain in the minors and undergo a mechanical overhaul.

My issue with this arm is how it messes up your timing (arm not in high cocked position as your front foot lands). It is my belief that this timing takes the load off of your core and increases the load on your shoulders, since your arm is lagging behind. Maybe this lag behind increases the whip effect of your arm...that I wouldn't argue, but even if it does, is it worth the increased stress on your shoulder and elbow? Some bodies can handle it more than others.

As far as Prior goes, Tom House built him as "the perfect pitcher" since his days in high school.

My issue with this arm is how it messes up your timing (arm not in high cocked position as your front foot lands). It is my belief that this timing takes the load off of your core and increases the load on your shoulders, since your arm is lagging behind. Maybe this lag behind increases the whip effect of your arm...that I wouldn't argue, but even if it does, is it worth the increased stress on your shoulder and elbow? Some bodies can handle it more than others.

As far as Prior goes, Tom House built him as "the perfect pitcher" since his days in high school.

This is the real problem.

Yep with "machinelike mechanics". He was the prototypical pitcher, too bad his career went as it did, perhaps one of the most unfortunate baseball happenings. Id compare it to the Koufax situation, but atleast Koufax got enough time in there to be recognized as a HOF pitcher. Prior could have been a HOF pitcher, but we'll never know.

Freddie Garcia's downfall is sad too, but he was never the hypemachine that Prior was....

Well...that's true, but wouldn't it be better to decrease that chance of breaking down by developing a better delivery that puts less stress on the arm?

It depends, I guess. Pitching is high-stress. And obviously not all bodies are cut out to do it. If a motion is within a pitcher's physical capability and it adds value to his pitches (velocity/movement/whathaveyou) then there's no reason for a "better" delivery that puts less stress on the arm - if we're sacrificing that value unnecessarily.

The real issue is that we don't know really what the cause of arm breakdown is - individuals who have arm injuries may have high-stress mechanics. But there's no way to pin down whether or not those high stress mechanics caused the problem, or whether even lower-stress mechanics may.

Archived