Oscar goes to..The Padres for RP Cla Meredith

pasadena

Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I thought the reason for trading Salazar was to clear roster space for Hernandez.

Well, if it's a RP, then we can option Mickolio or Berken to AAA and create room for DH.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate the idea of losing Salazar, as he and Sweet Lou have become the not-playing-as-much-as I-want personal faves of mine. However, I think it's a bit premature to condemn a trade on which the return is unknown. As much as I'm in the tank for Oscar, I'm excited to learn what we got for him. (Now if it turns out that we didn't get much, then I'll whip out the Kleenex.)

Agreed that we have to wait and see what the return is, but the timing is suspicious. Do we really believe that the O's got the best possible return on Salazar when we're clearly up against a roster crunch?

Just by ordering the rotation differently, we could have avoided that. If we get something more valuable than Salazar in return, I'm all on board. But if not...

Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I thought the reason for trading Salazar was to clear roster space for Hernandez.

If it is Banks then they send down Mickolio when Banks gets here. It makes sense. They may not want Kam being the 12th man.

i'm gonna be pissed if this move means Kam is sent down. He's pitched well every time he's been in this year. He is still young and has a ton of potential, why would we not let him stay up this year to gain experience. While we still are wasting room in our bullpen with Biaz and Hendrickson.

The point is, there was no need to use a spot start. Most teams order their rotation coming out of the break with their best pitchers going first. That would mean Berge, Guts then Hill / Berken take your pick. The fact that doing it that way is not only the customary (and smart way) it would have given the O's a way to completely avoid the need for a roster move until the 28th.

You are correct that we could have used a spot start instead - but we shouldn't have had to do that.

Now if we get something from San Diego that is worth losing a guy hitting well over .350 in his last full year in professional ball, that's great. But if we dumped him for nothing, I'm gonna be very sad.

I agree with what you are saying in regards to setting the rotation after the break, but I have a hard time believing that is what's driving this move. I thought Bergesen should have made Friday's start (it would have been his normal turn). I guess they wanted to give him more of a breather.

Now this guy coming back would have to be a pitcher. I'd be really confused if it is not (because Roch says he's going on the 25 man roster).

Yeah, having just looked at Banks it very well could be him. O's should be familiar with him since he pitched with the Jays last year.

If this is the deal we certainly got the short end. a guy who is having success at the bigs for a guy who hasnt in three or four tries

Agreed that we have to wait and see what the return is, but the timing is suspicious. Do we really believe that the O's got the best possible return on Salazar when we're clearly up against a roster crunch?

Just by ordering the rotation differently, we could have avoided that. If we get something more valuable than Salazar in return, I'm all on board. But if not...

I love what Oscar did here, but how much value do you think a 31 year old defensive liability has. Give the Orioles credit for rescuing him from the scrap heap that is Mexican league baseball. God Speed Oscar, I hope you do well, but come on people this is not a part of the LT future that we have lost.

Because the Padres are currently playing (9th inning), I'm guessing its someone currently on their roster, not Banks. They probably want/need the game to finish before announcing; Roch knows who it is, he just has to keep silent. Look for something more concrete when their game is completed.

I agree with what you are saying in regards to setting the rotation after the break, but I have a hard time believing that is what's driving this move. I thought Bergesen should have made Friday's start (it would have been his normal turn). I guess they wanted to give him more of a breather.

Now this guy coming back would have to be a pitcher. I'd be really confused if it is not (because Roch says he's going on the 25 man roster).

If so, you'd think it has to be setting up another trade (Baez? Sherrill? Guthrie?). Makes very little sense to add another pitcher AND have Sarfate due back any day unless something else was cooking.

As mentioned if it's someone staying on the 25 man rosters it's probably going to be a pitcher who is most likely out of options(though it could be someone with option). Figure out which pitchers on the Padres 40 man are out of options and narrow the list.

Your scenario delays the roster crunch by all of 10 days. I highly doubt if AM threatened to take Oscar off the trade market for 2 weeks that the Pads or some other team would panic and suddenly increase their offer. It just doesn't work that way.

AM has been fielding offers for weeks. He's taking the best offer in his opinion. There's not much point in delaying any longer. Things aren't going to change.

We'll soon see who it is and after some time has passed, we can evaluate the results.

Archived