Oscar goes to..The Padres for RP Cla Meredith

pasadena

He's an extreme ground ball pitcher who's playing in front of a poor defense. The Padres' infield UZR is -14.3. Their defense at second and short has been particularly awful.

I'd guess that Mora, Izturis and Roberts will have more of an effect on his numbers than the distant fences at PETCO. His career home/road splits aren't very pronounced, and prior to this year were pretty equal. He's still a generic reliever, but not someone I'd expect to blow up just because he had a pedestrian ERA in a pitcher's park.

I agree with this.

Perhaps we got a diamond in the rough? A lot of Pads fans seemed to think Meredith would be traded to a contender and were a little disappointed that all they got in return was Salazar.

Why do these moves have to be either deplorable or diamond in the rough fleecings?

This was a trade of a journey-man utility infielder with a pretty good bat off the bench and no real position, from a team with a roster crunch, for a decent bullpen arm. A solid trade, that's all.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Kranny can find some kind of mechanical flaw and get his command back to where it was a few years ago.

The reason I like this trade is because it may make it a lot easier on AM to make other moves...Plus, I feel Meredith has a better chance to play a role on our team in the future than Salazar does.

Maybe Kranny can find some kind of mechanical flaw and get his command back to where it was a few years ago.

The reason I like this trade is because it may make it a lot easier on AM to make other moves...Plus, I feel Meredith has a better chance to play a role on our team in the future than Salazar does.

In what ways? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that Salazar was traded, I just don't see how there would be difficulties making other trades if this one didn't go through.

What I don't like about this trade is that Kam goes back to the minors. I'd like to see him stay up here.

One thing not mentioned about him is his durability.

In his career, he has average 1 inning per appearance....2 years ago, he appeared in 80 games..Last year he was in 73 games...This year is in on a 62 game pace...The guy gets into a lot of games, which is good...Rubber arm type thing..Throws a good amount of innings out of the pen.

Now, the declining peripherals aren't a good thing obviously...but he is only 26 and has recently been very good. He appears to have been unlucky this year as well.

Certainly would like to see him get his K rate back above 6 and his walk rate back below 2.5.

Chad Bradford has had a pretty solid career for a reliever. As you can see by the link, his peripherals fluctuated a lot as well and the early parts of their careers had a lot of similarities.

Well this isn't true. Some stadiums have faster infield grass than others. Some are turf. Some stadiums have visual atmospheres more conducive to hitting, some have distractions in the outfield. Some parks have weather that makes movement on pitches more or less effective, changing a pitcher's sinker and breaking pitches.

Park factors are more than just the size and shape of a park. They affect groundballs just as they affect walk rates and strike out rates.

Fair enough. Thanks for the correction.

Some are upset over a backup being traded. I liek the trade. Oscar has now goen to a team that may have a chance to be in the playoffs. As for Meredith, well maybe as you say Kranny can find out was has gone wrong for him.

In what ways? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that Salazar was traded, I just don't see how there would be difficulties making other trades if this one didn't go through.

What I don't like about this trade is that Kam goes back to the minors. I'd like to see him stay up here.

Did we need to get Meredith for AM to trade Baez and/or Sherrill? No, of course not.

However, when AM let Bradford go for nothing, he was bashed for it and he admitted that he felt he made a mistake..mainly because, I assume, he had no one to step in and do Bradford's job.

Well, this year if he trades some of his BP pieces, he has gotten someone that should keep the ball in the ballpark and should be as good or better than what Baez has been for us this year....Yes, he isn't anything special but he has shown that he can be very effective at this level over an extended period of time.

Some are upset over a backup being traded. I liek the trade. Oscar has now goen to a team that may have a chance to be in the playoffs. As for Meredith, well maybe as you say Kranny can find out was has gone wrong for him.

The Padres are 21 games out.

Quick question: Why would the Pads want Oscar? I really like him and want him to have an opportunity to show his stuff, but that is an organization seemingly loaded at 1B and 3B for many years to come.

Because he's not a full time player and they just envision him as a PH?

Kouzmanoff is not a good 3B, so maybe they resting him some. Kind of odd, since Padres are out of it. Not sure what they envision him.

Quick question: Why would the Pads want Oscar? I really like him and want him to have an opportunity to show his stuff, but that is an organization seemingly loaded at 1B and 3B for many years to come.

Well maybe so but better for Oscar. At least he is on a better team. Closer to the playoffs than the O's are.

Archived