Oscar goes to..The Padres for RP Cla Meredith

pasadena

Best of luck to Oscar. Dude paid more than his fair share of dues in the minors and I hope in the NL he can find some regular work. He has shown in his limited time the ability to be a better pinch hitter than most, and this might be an ideal situation for him.

I hope that whoever we get in return has at least some untapped upside.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best of luck to Oscar. Dude paid more than his fair share of dues in the minors and I hope in the NL he can find some regular work. He has shown in his limited time the ability to be a better pinch hitter than most, and this might be an ideal situation for him.I hope that whoever we get in return has at least some untapped upside.

Pinch hitting is probably all he'll be doing in SD with Gonzalez at 1B and no DH.

oliver said:

It could be banks, but then we would need another position player i think.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. They had an extra position player and one fewer starter after sending down Hernandez. - Roch

From Rochs blog ...Probably not a pitcher!

Your scenario delays the roster crunch by all of 10 days. I highly doubt if AM threatened to take Oscar off the trade market for 2 weeks that the Pads or some other team would panic and suddenly increase their offer. It just doesn't work that way.

AM has been fielding offers for weeks. He's taking the best offer in his opinion. There's not much point in delaying any longer. Things aren't going to change.

We'll soon see who it is and after some time has passed, we can evaluate the results.

I agree. I'm also guessing that either this deal or another one was already well on the way to being wrapped up when Cesar started his rehab -- or else the rehab date would have been pushed back. So in that sense, Andy KNEW he wouldn't be under the gun, and he wasn't. He merely delayed pulling the trigger in an effort to squeeze out whatever extra value he could from among the various alternatives on the table. All speculation on my part, admittedly -- but consistent, I believe, with all of Andy's philosophies on maxing out the value for departing players.

Archived