Marlins, Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs and Angels in on Sherrill - Per Rosenthal

phattybeers

We have heard this before, but to re-iterate the teams interested in Sherrill...

From Ken Rosenthal http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9827802

The Orioles' acquisition of Padres right-hander Cla Meredith on Sunday is not necessarily a precursor to a trade of left-handed closer George Sherrill.

The team already is deep in right-handed relievers, and Meredith, whose ERA since June 2 is 6.06, does not exactly qualify as late-inning "insurance."

While a trade of Sherrill looks inevitable — "They will move him; they know he's the best available closer out there," one rival executive says — it is not yet imminent.

One general manager interested in Sherrill says the Orioles are "playing the 'don't-have-to-move-him-so-make-us' card" — a characterization the O's do not dispute.

"If it's something meaningful coming back, something we don't have, a building block for the future, we would have to consider it," says Andy MacPhail, the team's president of baseball operations.

The Marlins, Dodgers, Brewers and Angels are among the clubs pursuing Sherrill, major-league sources say. The Cubs, MacPhail's former team and one of his frequent trading partners, also have interest.

The market, however, continues to evolve in the final days before the July 31 non-waiver deadline.

George Sherrill is the O's most attractive piece. (Otto Greule Jr / Getty Images)

The Marlins, according to one source, have gone from "buying to holding" after losing three games to the Phillies and falling below .500 this weekend.

The Brewers, who traded for Diamondbacks infielder Felipe Lopez on Sunday, also are trying to add a starting pitcher.

The Orioles specifically want to find a long-term replacement for third baseman Melvin Mora, who is a free agent after this season. They also would like to add to their developing core of young pitching.

Sherrill is their most attractive piece.

Right-hander Danys Baez, a potential free agent, has posted a 6.20 ERA since May 26 and pitched in back-to-back games only once after undergoing Tommy John surgery and missing all of last season.

The Orioles, meanwhile, are not terribly enthused about trading a veteran left-handed hitter, either first baseman Aubrey Huff or outfielder Luke Scott, sources say.

The O's effectively hold a one-year option on Huff, who is earning $8 million this season. They can try to retain him by offering him salary arbitration or receive two high draft picks if he departs as a Type A free agent.

Scott, on the other hand, is under club control through 2012. He is hitting left-handed pitching even better than right-handed pitching this season and showing increased versatility by playing first base as well as left field.

Still, Sunday's trade does not figure to be the Orioles' last.

To get Meredith, the O's only had to part with utility man Oscar Salazar, who became expendable after shortstop Cesar Izturis returned from his bout with appendicitis.

Salazar, 31, is out of minor-league options, and the Orioles felt that he would not clear waivers if they tried to send him to the minors.

The Padres, needing infield help because of injuries to David Eckstein and Edgar Gonzalez, showed the most interest.

Didn't see a good thread to put this is, so if you wanna merge?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have heard this before, but to re-iterate the teams interested in Sherrill...

From Ken Rosenthal http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9827802

Didn't see a good thread to put this is, so if you wanna merge?

The most important thing to take out of that is that Sherrill is being valued as a closer on the trade market, which means the return should be significant, if not substantial.

My guess is the Orioles are telling teams that they want 1 ML ready(or at least close to ML ready) CIer(with third base being the preference) or SS and perhaps a solid pitching prospect in return for Sherrill.

A legit ML-ready CIer and a young (A or A+) starting pitching prospect would probably be enough for me.

Sounds like a good situation for the O's, with multiple teams interested in Sherrill. And, it's true, we don't have to move him. Just the way Andy likes it. My guess is he'll be traded, and we'll be happy with the return.

A legit ML-ready CIer and a young (A or A+) starting pitching prospect would probably be enough for me.

Yep...If we can get a more ML ready pitching prospect, that would be great but I would guess if a team is going to surrender a ML position player, they don't also want to surrender a ML ready pitching prospect either..unless they are a BP arm, then maybe.

Yep...If we can get a more ML ready pitching prospect, that would be great but I would guess if a team is going to surrender a ML position player, they don't also want to surrender a ML ready pitching prospect either..unless they are a BP arm, then maybe.

Exactly my thinking. And I think I'd prefer the lower-level SP over a more developed RP simply because I think we have a good chance of filling our BP with in-house guys (Erbe, Hernandez, Berken, and especially Mickolio - who I've long been saying is going to be exciting - etc.)

Agree with McPhail on his evaluations at this point...

Not sure trading Huff will do us much good at this point, I doubt the return value will match the picks. If he had a good year, done deal. But not now, might as well hold on unless someone can deliver a return better than the picks.

Sherrill looks like he can get great return, sounds like AM is holding out for it...I think we'll be pleased.

Baez is done, nobody is sending anything our way--I'd take anything just to get his money off the books...maybe that can be used for Sano/draftees.

Also, at this point, Guthrie seems to be in the Huff boat--it would be selling too low. Keep him and see if he can be packaged in the off-season.

Scott's the wildcard...I like him, want to keep him. Don't want to blow an opportunity to add major pieces tho....wonder if maybe you let him and Guthrie playout the year and try and see if they can go together for a legit difference maker. Of course, this banks on them continuing to perform.

So to wrap up**:

Trade Sherrill

Hold on Huff

Trade Baez or cut

Hold on Guthrie

Wavering on Scott

**anyone can be traded at the right price...not trying to argue semantics.

Agree with McPhail on his evaluations at this point...

Not sure trading Huff will do us much good at this point, I doubt the return value will match the picks. If he had a good year, done deal. But not now, might as well hold on unless someone can deliver a return better than the picks.

Sherrill looks like he can get great return, sounds like AM is holding out for it...I think we'll be pleased.

Baez is done, nobody is sending anything our way--I'd take anything just to get his money off the books...maybe that can be used for Sano/draftees.

Also, at this point, Guthrie seems to be in the Huff boat--it would be selling too low. Keep him and see if he can be packaged in the off-season.

Scott's the wildcard...I like him, want to keep him. Don't want to blow an opportunity to add major pieces tho....wonder if maybe you let him and Guthrie playout the year and try and see if they can go together for a legit difference maker. Of course, this banks on them continuing to perform.

So to wrap up**:

Trade Sherrill

Hold on Huff

Trade Baez or cut

Hold on Guthrie

Wavering on Scott

**anyone can be traded at the right price...not trying to argue semantics.

Are you fine with Huff next year at 8-10 million?

At this point, no chance he is declining arbitration and us end up with picks.

We have to hope that he shows signs of heating up the next 10 days or so and teams, knowing that he is a big second half hitter in his career, trade for him because of that idea.

Yeah this is a vintage MacPhail scenario. A piece that we don't have to move but could easily afford to and not be hurt to bad, that a lot of teams want.

I have every confidence that if he does move Sherrill, we'll really like the return. The only potential disappointment is if he doesn't move him, we'll have to speculate as to what we could've gotten. But if he does move him, I think its almost guaranteed to be a trade the 85% of the board likes.

Archived