Marlins, Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs and Angels in on Sherrill - Per Rosenthal

phattybeers

Are you fine with Huff next year at 8-10 million?

At this point, no chance he is declining arbitration and us end up with picks.

We have to hope that he shows signs of heating up the next 10 days or so and teams, knowing that he is a big second half hitter in his career, trade for him because of that idea.

I think it's a question of which stupidity you'd rather bank on:

1) A team over-valuing Huff in the off-season and giving him a deal...

2) A team thinking he'll turn things around this year and dealing him...

I'd prob take my chances with #1.

Plus, what if Huff takes the arb and comes back...I think you could prob trade him at this time next year for almost an identical return as now (if not better, depending on how he is playing).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's a question of which stupidity you'd rather bank on:

1) A team over-valuing Huff in the off-season and giving him a deal...

2) A team thinking he'll turn things around this year and dealing him...

I'd prob take my chances with #1.

Plus, what if Huff takes the arb and comes back...I think you could prob trade him at this time next year for almost an identical return as now (if not better, depending on how he is playing).

This actually isn't true...The only stupidity at work here would be Huff's...Will he think that he can do better on the open market vs taking a one year deal with us?

If Huff were a type B FA, this would be easier because a team could sign him before we even offer arbitration and we end up with a comp pick..But as a type A guy, teams will wait to see if we offer arbitration first.

I'm fine with keeping Huff for an additional year.

I also wouldn't mind moving Guthrie to the pen as a potential closer, ESPECIALLY if Sherrill leaves. Has that been addressed anywhere?

WAAAAAY too many HRs....

So, of the metioned teams, who will most likely be the players coming back for Sherrill?

I would think we'd be interested in 3B guys like Josh Bell (LAD), Matt Dominguez (FL), Brandon Wood (LAA), Taylor Green (MIL) as the main piece. I don't know if the Cubs really have anyone we would like. Vitters is too good to get for Sherrill.

This actually isn't true...The only stupidity at work here would be Huff's...Will he think that he can do better on the open market vs taking a one year deal with us?

If Huff were a type B FA, this would be easier because a team could sign him before we even offer arbitration and we end up with a comp pick..But as a type A guy, teams will wait to see if we offer arbitration first.

Well, regardless...the point is you're banking on someone overplaying their hand this off-season.

And I think it's more likely to happen then someone giving us anything of value for Huff now...

I'd prefer to take the risk.

Marlins - Could Uggla be a possibility?

Dodgers - I know SG likes Bell. Any chance we could land McDonald?

Brewers - Love to get Gamel but that's a pipedream. Anyone got some ideas?

Angels - Wood and a decent pitching prospect?

Cubs - Love to get Vitters but that's a pipedream as well. Doubtful that Samardzija would waive his no trade clause. Anyone got some ideas?

WAAAAAY too many HRs....

Agreed. I have a feeling that this time next year, this board will be chalking his 1st half 2009 season to the WBC effect. But, at the same time, say "I knew he'd only be a number three pitcher" because Tillman and Matusz are tearing it up.

Very good point. He needs to prove that he can hold up through a season, and a few bad outings may look bad to potential suitors.
Its July 20th already. A bad week isn't going to scare anyone off, really. He'd have to have some devastatingly bad outings to hurt his overall numbers much.

Why wouldn't Huff accept a deal with another team? He's pretty young in free agency, can hit for a solid average with some power, plays both corners, type A free agent... are we really that down on the Orioles to the point where we don't think anyone will sign our Type A's? I mean, did anyone honestly think a team would trade us for Steve Trachsel two years ago? At least Huff still has a lot of gas left in his tank!

I'd offer him arbitration and I don't think he'll accept it.

Archived