Marlins, Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs and Angels in on Sherrill - Per Rosenthal

phattybeers

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm...the difference between 7 and 12 can be pretty big depending on the system.

I'd really have to see who the prospect is...Scott Moore-type doesn't interest me. I'd rather take my chances on arbitration and bank on the picks or Huff turning in a better 1st half next season then get some avg role players.

Plus, again, would you not be able to get a similar package for him next year? I mean, chances are he won't play much worse...seems like a good gamble.

Maybe...But why not do it now and not spend the money on him the rest of this year and the first half of next year?

Of course losing Sherrill hurts the pen. He's a good pitcher.

The point is this team is not in the position to worry about that yet...we still have major holes at both CI spots for 2010, multi-rotation spots up for grabs, and a SS-hole for 2011--if not 2010.

If moving Sherrill helps with any of those situations, it's a lot more valuable to us then having him be our "closer."

Agreed. Like I said I'm not opposed to moving Sherrill for the right deal. I'm just making the point, like you have here, that he's only going to be moved for the right deal. And if he is delt, the team could be facing another long end to the season, which is contrary to what AM has said is one of his top priorities for this season.

Maybe...But why not do it now and not spend the money on him the rest of this year and the first half of next year?

Well...if he performs better, you could get much better than a 7-12 and Scott Moore.

Plus it gives you more time to wait on Snyder...

With so much cash coming off the books, I don't think Huff would be an expenditure that would slow anything else down.

Agreed. Like I said I'm not opposed to moving Sherrill for the right deal. I'm just making the point, like you have here, that he's only going to be moved for the right deal. And if he is delt, the team could be facing another long end to the season, which is contrary to what AM has said is one of his top priorities for this season.

I'd be very surprised to Sherrill's departure lead to any kind of implosion--and I don't think McPhail sees it that way either.

This actually isn't true...The only stupidity at work here would be Huff's...Will he think that he can do better on the open market vs taking a one year deal with us?

If Huff were a type B FA, this would be easier because a team could sign him before we even offer arbitration and we end up with a comp pick..But as a type A guy, teams will wait to see if we offer arbitration first.

I was thinking about this too. It would be interesting if they could something like football with restricted FA's. (Sign a player to a certain contract and another team signing that player gives up a certain pick). It would be nice to designate Huff as a B, if teams wouldn't bite on signing him at A prices.

Well...if he performs better, you could get much better than a 7-12 and Scott Moore.

Plus it gives you more time to wait on Snyder...

With so much cash coming off the books, I don't think Huff would be an expenditure that would slow anything else down.

And what if he performs worse or gets hurt?

Then you get nothing but a big pay check.

And what if he performs worse or gets hurt?

Then you get nothing but a big pay check.

Yea...it's a risk.

That's part of the game right? Not every move is going to stick.

If my options are offering Huff arbitration or picking up someone's #11 prospect...I'm prob going arbitration.

Yea...it's a risk.

That's part of the game right? Not every move is going to stick.

If my options are offering Huff arbitration or picking up someone's #11 prospect...I'm prob going arbitration.

It would depend on the system.

Would I trade Aubrey Huff for David Hernandez? In a second.

I like Scott Barnes from SF...he came into the season ranked #9 in their system, according to BA...I would make that deal in a second as well.

It would depend on the system.

Would I trade Aubrey Huff for David Hernandez? In a second.

I like Scott Barnes from SF...he came into the season ranked #9 in their system, according to BA...I would make that deal in a second as well.

Yea...I'm really not that learned in the other systems.

I clicked on that Barnes link...good numbers.

I'd prob do a Hernandez trade, but I have to say that's about the cusp for me. I wouldn't go too far below Hernandez.

EDIT: I would add that I'd prob want someone playing higher than A+ in return.

Archived