I'm ready for new leadership, you?

Fan4Life

Ready for new Leadership?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Ready for new Leadership?

• Yes
    • Not yet

Why let Jones, Wieters etc, keep learning under a lame duck manager?

If Trembley isn't the answer, it's time to stop pretending he is and move on. Make the break now and show the players that the results under DT are not acceptable.

Why let Jones and Wieters learn how NOT to play the game by veterans who should know better? Has anyone one time this season ever heard a postgame clip where any player was ticked off about losing and how we play the game? What does it say about them, they are the ones playing. I am sick and tired of the manager being blamed for veteran players who fairly or not seem to play the game with a complacent who cares if we win because we are not suppose to attitude. None of the veterans seem bothered by how we are playing at all. They are the ones who should be putting a stop to it.

Our second baseman signs a 4 year $40 million contract and at times plays the game with the enthusiasm of a funeral director. It not the rookies playing the game the wrong way it is the veterans who should know better. These guys should police themselves and not need a babysitter for a manager.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why let Jones, Wieters etc, keep learning under a lame duck manager?

If Trembley isn't the answer, it's time to stop pretending he is and move on. Make the break now and show the players that the results under DT are not acceptable.

Your way is what the nationals did, and it was the wrong move

Did we watch the same game???

This game was a step forward

Can you not see that??

Why let Jones and Wieters learn how NOT to play the game by veterans who should know better? Has anyone one time this season ever heard a postgame clip where any player was ticked off about losing and how we play the game? What does it say about them, they are the ones playing. I am sick and tired of the manager being blamed for veteran players who fairly or not seem to play the game with a complacent who cares if we win because we are not suppose to attitude. None of the veterans seem bothered by how we are playing at all. They are the ones who should be putting a stop to it.

Our second baseman signs a 4 year $40 million contract and at times plays the game with the enthusiam of a funeral director. It not the rookies playing the game the wrong way it is the veterans who should know better. These guys should police themselves and not need a babysitter for a manager.

I agree with this. These are grown men, major leaguers. Going over remedial crap isn't something that should have to be done. If that's the case, these players need to go back to the freakin instructional league and learn how to run the bases properly.

A big league manager should be concentrating on strategy, bullpen management and pushing buttons ala Earl Weaver.

I really don't care if the players feel warm and fuzzy about the clubhouse attitude. These men are being paid a ton of money to get it right. At some point everyone is accountable. If you don't hold them accountable then the same stupid plays will continue to be made and nothing will improve. And I was always taught that improving was the goal.
I didn't say they should feel warm and fuzzy. I'm saying I find it a bit silly that you or anyone else (myself included) thinks they have the slightest idea about what is the best way or even any way to go about running a major league clubhouse.

Its unlike any work environment any of us can relate to. What expertise do we have to make any evaluation of a manager's abilities to get his clubhouse playing the way they should be playing. If MacPhail and the other people in the organization are happy with the job Trembley is doing given the assets he has at his disposal, that's enough for me. If they are unhappy, then that's also enough for me. I lack the skills to make a fair judgement on his clubhouse management. I think I have the skills to judge his in-game moves, as do most people on this site yourself included, but not his control of the clubhouse.

Hey Big Mac,

Patience hasn't won us anything in over a decade. If the little things are being carried out then someone is responsible. Who runs the ship?? The players or the coaching staff??

HAve you ever coached?? Coaches ARE responsible to make certain the little things get done and done right!! OR IT IS THEIR JOB TO LOSE!!!

No I have never coached, but anyone on here who thinks they know what it's like to coach a bunch of grown men making millions of dollars is full of it.

If he's stressing fundamentals and the players still make those mistakes, that's on them, not the manager.

There was nothing wrong with this game that a timely hit wouldn't have cured. We had opportunities to score, but for the want of a hit we didn't.

It could be argued....and I did during the game....that it was again sloppy base running that did us in. But if we had gotten that one timely hit.....

How could you possibly blame Trembley for that failure?

The team lacks dicipline. It lacks accountability. They've accepted losing. You tell these guys over and over that they're not going to compete this year and certain things happen. I'd be interested hearing how many players show up early, are on time for stretching, take 50-100 ground balls before every game, do their running the way it's supposed to be done in between starts, take a ton of fly balls during batting practice at a new stadium to learn the outfield, etc. There are a ton of little things that instill a winning attitude and fundamental play in players. I don't see any evidence that this is happening teamwide. And when you start seeing veteran guys cutting corners and they're multimillionaires, it has an effect on the young guys.

More so than Trembley or Mcphail, I cannot understand to this day why Juan Samuel is still our 3rd base coach... The baserunning errors have been horrendous, and I understand the sentiment of not wanting to get rid of the manager for those types of errors... but something has to be fixed. Juan Samuel is the base running coach, and the team isn't even average in that regard.

I understand this isn't about wins and losses, I get it. I can take losing to Andy Pettite, or Josh Beckett -- sometimes the opponent is just better (most of the time with this team). What I can't tolerate is the mistakes that beat yourself. If the Orioles lose, whether its with a team full of rookies or 10 year veterans, I want it to be because the other team beat us. If we're taking runs off the board, thats in our control.

No amount of fining benching or remedial drills is going to make a stupid ballplayer into a smaat one nor can you teach instincts, especially at the ML level. If a player reaches the ML and hasn't been instilled with the "fundamentals" he's not likely to learn them once he gets there. You either get rid of these players or find ways to compensate for their shortcomings. In the base runnig situation involving Izzy, I don't know why he didn't pick up the ball. He is one of our better baserunners. But if failing to look toward home upon runing toward 2B on a steal, is a habit he has aquired in his years as a MLer, it's not likely any manager is going to change that now. Look at AJ e.g. Remember when he dropped that can of corn early in the year because he one handed it. He used two hands the rest of the game. How many hands does he use now? It's fundamental to catch a fly ball with 2 hands, there is no advantage to using one, and many possible disadvantages. Yet that is a habit he and many MLers have developed and benching and fining him for it would be a fools errand on any mamagers part.

Let me get this straight...the Orioles just lost a 2-1 pitchers duel to the MF Yankee$ (and longtime Orioles killer Andy Pettite) because two of their LH hitters launched balls into the Albert Speer ATM/Airport Lobby jet-stream in right center while only one of ours did, and (some of) you guys see that as a reason to fire Trembley and/or MacPhail? Seriously? I mean...seriously??? :scratchchinhmm:

Let me get this straight...the Orioles just lost a 2-1 pitchers duel to the MF Yankee$ (and longtime Orioles killer Andy Pettite) because two of their LH hitters launched balls into the Albert Speer ATM/Airport Lobby jet-stream in right center while only one of ours did, and (some of) you guys see that as a reason to fire Trembley and/or MacPhail? Seriously? I mean...seriously??? :scratchchinhmm:

No. That's not the reason.

More so than Trembley or Mcphail, I cannot understand to this day why Juan Samuel is still our 3rd base coach... The baserunning errors have been horrendous, and I understand the sentiment of not wanting to get rid of the manager for those types of errors... but something has to be fixed. Juan Samuel is the base running coach, and the team isn't even average in that regard.

I understand this isn't about wins and losses, I get it. I can take losing to Andy Pettite, or Josh Beckett -- sometimes the opponent is just better (most of the time with this team). What I can't tolerate is the mistakes that beat yourself. If the Orioles lose, whether its with a team full of rookies or 10 year veterans, I want it to be because the other team beat us. If we're taking runs off the board, thats in our control.

Dude, how can you blame Juan Samuel for this team's overall lack of talent? And isn't that really what we're talking about? You can only "coach" a player up so much, and I agree with the other posters that you can't start at the MLB level. So just let Juan Samuel enjoy getting paid for standing in the third base box.

As to the poor fundamentals: they are learned at the MiL level not the ML level. Of our position players, only Markakis, BRob, Wieters and Reimold were trained in the O's MiL system. For the most part I wouldn't fault them for their fundamentals. The rest of our players were trained in other systems and for the most part it is too late to corect their bad habits IMO.

Archived