Does Trembley really believe this?

Frobby

What I don't get is why these guys don't look for help when running on contact.

That's why they pay Juan Samuel, isn't it? My first instinct would be to immediately look at the third base coach.

Meh, whatever. They're just not a very intelligent baseball team, especially on the bases.

That's sugarcoating it. This team is horrible on the bases. High school teams run bases better than the Orioles and I'm not kidding.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's something that should be instilled in players as soon as they show up to Baltimore. Do you think Mark Teixeira showed up to Yankees stadium and said, "I'm making 180 million dollars now so I can do what I want"? He's scoring on dropped pop-ups from first base. Maybe we've been signing the wrong kind of players.

Izturis, for sure, could've scored on the play. He rounded second, three times, one of which was back toward first. Stuck at third, Samuel gives him the green light, and a certain first baseman shows why he's a gold glover, and Izturis is dead to rights at home.

ETA: I don't know who Dave thought he was fooling with that remark. When Izturis made it into third, Dave was incredulous, shouting "what? what?" as if he couldn't believe what had just happened.

Of course he doesn't.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm a full believer that Trembley PC's like Billick. He intentionally says or does things to make people talk about him, and not the players (the majority of the time anyway), and then in private, he talks (in whatever way he chooses) to the players about what happened.

It was quite clear by body language that the Izturis play really grinded his gears, so no, no I don't believe he for one second actually believes that. He's simply playing the role.

Regardless of what he said, DT was obviously mad at Itzuris. You could see it in his facial expression when he didn't score on the Roberts double and you could really see it after Itzuris was thrown out at the plate. When Itzuris was headed into the dugout you could see a closeup of DT not even acknowledging his presence. I think the presser is just coach-speak and bending over backwards to not call Cesar out.

To me, this is where you cross the line between not throwing your player under the bus (good) and covering up for your player (bad). I mean, that play was just too obvious, and Trembley's reaction immediately after the play was too obvious, for Trembley to cover up the mistake or pretend that it didn't really have a consequence in the post-game interview. That's precisely when he should be saying, "Izturis really made a mistake there, and it's the kind of mistake we need to stop making if we want to win these close games." Because everyone knows that's the truth, and he loses credibility when he says otherwise. Especially after he just said a few days ago that sitting in the owner's box, he had gotten a chance to see what the fans see, and certain things were unacceptable and would change.

To me, this is where you cross the line between not throwing your player under the bus (good) and covering up for your player (bad). I mean, that play was just too obvious, and Trembley's reaction immediately after the play was too obvious, for Trembley to cover up the mistake or pretend that it didn't really have a consequence in the post-game interview. That's precisely when he should be saying, "Izturis really made a mistake there, and it's the kind of mistake we need to stop making if we want to win these close games." Because everyone knows that's the truth, and he loses credibility when he says otherwise. Especially after he just said a few days ago that sitting in the owner's box, he had gotten a chance to see what the fans see, and certain things were unacceptable and would change.

I agree with this. If Trembley wants to talk about being accountable and playing sound baseball, he needs to be consistent. I don't understand how he can come to a press conference and cover for players when the mistakes were glaring and obvious. I understand covering for your players but if he doesn't develop a more consistent approach, he will lose the club house anyway because he preaches one thing and says another.

That's a good point, and this is where I'd actually criticize Trembley. He doesn't seem to know when to take the gloves off. Since he's already started pulling at them, you figure he would now, but he goes back to the deflection. I honestly think he has a problem with calling players out. Which doesn't mean he won't, since he obviously has, but I don't think he wants to, conflicting him, and giving us this sense of wishy-washy-ism that drives a lot of us crazy. I still think he's trying to get through to the players, though. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would let stuff like this slide. I'm simply not sure that he's the kind of guy who will say whatever comes to him a la Guillen.

Having not seen either play, I would think that Izturis probably had a much better shot to score from 1st than Reimold did. He's much faster, and I doubt BRob's ball was hit quite as hard as Wieters' was. That said, I didn't see either so this is just useless speculation, not sure why I'm even posting it.

That's a good point, and this is where I'd actually criticize Trembley. He doesn't seem to know when to take the gloves off. Since he's already started pulling at them, you figure he would now, but he goes back to the deflection. I honestly think he has a problem with calling players out. Which doesn't mean he won't, since he obviously has, but I don't think he wants to, conflicting him, and giving us this sense of wishy-washy-ism that drives a lot of us crazy. I still think he's trying to get through to the players, though. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would let stuff like this slide. I'm simply not sure that he's the kind of guy who will say whatever comes to him a la Guillen.

I think Trembley actually has gotten softer on his players in public in the 2+ years he has been here. Back in 2007, when he saw a really bad fundamental play, he wouldn't hesitate to say so in his pressers. And frankly, it is not too hard to acknowledge honestly that a player made a bad, costly mistake, without "calling the player out." I thought he did a good job of it in 2007, but now he seems reluctant to do so.

I don't think Trembley needs to be the kind of guy who is always criticizing his players, like Piniella and to some extent Guillen. He doesn't need to be a guy who dwells on negative stuff in his post game interviews. That's not who he is, and he shouldn't be trying to change who he is. But he does need to be honest.

Having not seen either play, I would think that Izturis probably had a much better shot to score from 1st than Reimold did. He's much faster, and I doubt BRob's ball was hit quite as hard as Wieters' was. That said, I didn't see either so this is just useless speculation, not sure why I'm even posting it.

You are, nevertheless, correct. The Izturis play was worse. But the Reimold play was pretty mystifying, too.

You are, nevertheless, correct. The Izturis play was worse. But the Reimold play was pretty mystifying, too.

I know what happened with Izturis and Roberts, but what was the Reimold play? You mean, there was another screw-up on the basepaths last night too? And I'd thought that maybe the Yankees had almost forgotten the Jack Cust belly flop and crawl down the third-base line a few years back. Now they can laugh at the good ol' idiot O's again.

I know what happened with Izturis and Roberts, but what was the Reimold play? You mean, there was another screw-up on the basepaths last night too? And I'd thought that maybe the Yankees had almost forgotten the Jack Cust belly flop and crawl down the third-base line a few years back. Now they can laugh at the good ol' idiot O's again.

Pretty much the same as Izturis, though Reimold probably wouldn't have scored either way.

Reimold was similar to the Izturis play, in the sense that he lost sight of the ball, and could have advanced farther had he been more aware.

I think Trembley actually has gotten softer on his players in public in the 2+ years he has been here. Back in 2007, when he saw a really bad fundamental play, he wouldn't hesitate to say so in his pressers. And frankly, it is not too hard to acknowledge honestly that a player made a bad, costly mistake, without "calling the player out." I thought he did a good job of it in 2007, but now he seems reluctant to do so.

I don't think Trembley needs to be the kind of guy who is always criticizing his players, like Piniella and to some extent Guillen. He doesn't need to be a guy who dwells on negative stuff in his post game interviews. That's not who he is, and he shouldn't be trying to change who he is. But he does need to be honest.

This is absolutely correct, and I have pointed this out at other times this year.

To me, that's a very bad sign.

What I don't get is why these guys don't look for help when running on contact.

That's why they pay Juan Samuel, isn't it? My first instinct would be to immediately look at the third base coach.

Meh, whatever. They're just not a very intelligent baseball team, especially on the bases.

THis is 100% right. Neither Izturis or Reimold had to locate the ball...both just needed to look at Samuel, and he should have just been wavingthem around....how hard is that? That's pretty much the only reason you have a 3b coach, to see plays BEHIND the runner and tell them what to do!

Archived