O's Select NEW Spring Training Home

ScottieBaseball

Can Jtrea be happy now? :P
Slightly... :D

Glad to see the parties finally hash things out. Sarasota was the best fit and I'm happy to see the Orioles realized that...

I will be happy when it is February 2010, the major league and minor league teams are actually in Sarasota, and it is reported that the fields are in excellent condition up to the standards of a major league spring training site. Until then, it's words.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a yearly visitor of Boca Raton, (free place to stay, don't ask), I too couldn't be more disappointed.

I was looking forward to years of taking my son to Ft. Lauderdale for spring training.

Now . . . Port St. Lucie is the closest thing and it's 2 hours away!

:vader:

As a yearly visitor of Boca Raton, (free place to stay, don't ask), I too couldn't be more disappointed.

I was looking forward to years of taking my son to Ft. Lauderdale for spring training.

Now . . . Port St. Lucie is the closest thing and it's 2 hours away!

:vader:

Sarasota has as many old people as Boca. Can't you convince your parents (total guess on my part here) to move there? ;):D

Quiet. Definitely not Ft. Lauderdale. Sarasota is the oldest county in the the country. Lawn Bowling is a very popular sport there.

But like any place...its what you make of it.

Well, that's one way to keep the guys on the reservation. I hope. (Ugh...bad image).

Wish they could of worked it out in Lauderdale but they had to move on. You can check this off of MacPhail's to-do list. Good job Andy! As far as pics, try GoogleEarth to look at the new O's facility.:clap3:

Just checked it out! The place looks awesome!

EDIT: link did not work

Gulf coast beaches are great. Bar scene . . . umm, it's no Ft. Lauderdale.

It is about an hour from Ybor tho, if you are feeling brave...

This move puts them about two hours south of me, so I will have to try and make a trip at some point next spring. I am hoping this means some games against the Phillies and Blue Jays will be added since they are closer to an hour away.

The O's played some "home" games there in '91 when they didn't have a Spring home. It was there that Glenn Davis first felt the "twinge" in his neck after flying out. :cussing:

While this is a major improvement, if the minor leaguers train at Twin Lakes, they're still 12 miles away, according to Google maps. While a HUGE improvement, it's still not optimal.

Archived