O's Select NEW Spring Training Home

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090722/ARTICLE/907221032/2050/SPORTS?Title=The-10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-Orioles

Guess it's for real when the local paper prints an article letting them know who we are.

We actually have one of the highest Cy Young totals for any team.

Unlike more popular teams like the Cubs we actually have won 3 World Series.

We aint chumps.

The Orioles are moving to Sarasota!!!!

The MOU vote passes 4-1!

Commissioner Thaxton even though he was the opposing vote on all counts, pleaded with the Orioles to keep the name "Ed Smith Stadium" citing the name of OPACY.

The Orioles are moving to Sarasota!!!!

The MOU vote passes 4-1!

Commissioner Thaxton even though he was the opposing vote on all counts, pleaded with the Orioles to keep the name "Ed Smith Stadium" citing the name of OPACY.

Well it's official. The new name is ESSACTSP.

Ed Smith Stadium at Commissioner Thaxton Sucks Park...

More from the Herald Tribune:

Both the city and county commissions approved a deal. Now the team and local officials have 150 days to reach a final agreement. The team is scheduled to start training in Sarasota next spring in the stadium as-is.

Another impact for tourism could come from a marketing package which includes radio and television air time advertising Sarasota as a vacation destination during games. Virginia Haley, president of the Sarasota County Convention & Visitors Bureau estimates that the package is a $1 million value every year.

Included in the deal are a Sarasota Night at Camden Yards, the Orioles’ home field in Baltimore. Also a kiosk at Camden advertising Sarasota and promotional ads on Orioles' television and radio networks. Sarasota will be featured at the January luncheon of the Greater Baltimore Committee, a group of 1,000 organizations.

Sarasota officials get not only use once a year of the Orioles' luxury suite at Camden to woo meeting planners and make economic development contacts, but also the use of the Orioles' suite at the Washington Nationals' park in nearby Washington, D.C.

Orioles’ lawyer Rifkin noted that the team would act as a conduit to introduce Sarasota officials to high-wage industries in the Baltimore-Washington area, such as biotech firms or the medical community through Baltimore’s Johns Hopkins University.

And even some from our old friend Joel the Barista...

“I’m so grateful to see the Orioles steping in to save baseball that I vow to get season tickets for spring training,” said Joel Parisi, a manager at Pastry Art downtown and a huge Red Sox fan.

Parisi says he will root for the home team — except when they play the Red Sox. Parisi also takes back all the bad things he said about the team when he compared the Orioles to actor David Hasselhoff and compared the Red Sox to Brad Pitt.

Beggars can't be choosers :laughlol:

1) The first three things have nothing to do with the Baltimore Orioles as a present franchise.

2) I count two pretty big factual errors: Moe DrabowskY, and the capacity of Oriole Park (either 48,440 seats, as the tour says, or 48,876 including standing room from the team website AND Wikipedia).

Not a great article. Thanks for finding it, though :)

1) The first three things have nothing to do with the Baltimore Orioles as a present franchise.

2) I count two pretty big factual errors: Moe DrabowskY, and the capacity of Oriole Park (either 48,440 seats, as the tour says, or 48,876 including standing room from the team website AND Wikipedia).

I was bored. I thought it kinda of interesting.

If we are really gonna be there for thirty years they will get to know us just fine.:laughlol:

I don't think the point of the article was to address the "present"...good finds on the factual errors, though.

Archived