HORRIBLE call Blue!

Mooreisbetter27

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This wasn't a bad call by the ump, but the official scorer was mighty generous giving Troy Tulowitzki a cycle. On his triple, not only did Soriano bobble the ball in left field, but the throw to third should've beaten Tulo to the bag by 10 feet, but it bounced away. Someone deserved an error on that play.

Here's the kicker -- five pitches later LA's Casey Blake hit a 3 run HR to plate both runners who shouldn't have been on in the first place.

I'd fire that ump in heartbeat.

The umpire's hand motion looks like he was calling a strike, but he likely was just pointing towards first base.

I think its insane to assume that the umpire called strike three and then either a) changed his mind or b) forgot about it. I think he called it a ball the whole way, made a stupid hand gesture, McCann threw through to 2nd before hearing the call, and the ump at 2nd made the call not realizing it was ball 4.

It wasn't a blown call by anybody, it was just a poor job of managing the call by the home plate umpire. You don't point to 1st with your right hand after a ball. Call it a ball and stay in the crouch for a second.

If he had actually called it a strike then changed it, he should be fired or at least suspended, but I think the Orioles making the playoffs this year is more likely than that being the case.

Ah I looked for it and didn't see it..... how about this then? Kind of weird, I haven't seen video of it though.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/chipper-rips-umpire-over-104780.html

That seems like an Atlanta based report.

But if it's true that he fist bumped another teams player... I think there's gotta be some repercussions behind that.

• 9 months later...

What are these umpires watching? (June 1st, 2010) With the Nationals up 7-6 in the bottom of the 9th; Lance Berkman tried to check his swing on a 1-2 pitch by Matt Capps but failed miserably to do so as his bat already went way past home plate. Game over right? Nope; it was so blatant I thought the home plate umpire would call it himself but instead he went to check with Bill Hohn at third and he said it wasn’t a swing either. Of course, Berkman laced a 2 run single on the very next pitch to give Houston the win.

Bill Hohn is already in trouble for his confrontation with Roy Oswalt on Memorial Day. It’s not just this game or Orioles games. I watch a lot of baseball as I’m sure a lot of people here do and I have never seen such awful umpiring across the Majors as I have seen this year.

Whether it’s the strike zone, a home run that’s called a double (they have replay for this and don’t use it half the time!), calling balks where there isn’t one, ejecting pitchers and managers too quickly; umpires have been plain awful this year.

Hasn’t MLB discussed adding an umpire in a booth and expanding replay? They better start soon or other managers not named Ozzie Guillen are going to start speaking out. It’s just a matter of time a player or manager puts an umpire on full blast in front of the media.

Bobby Valentine was talking about this the other day on XM and stated that we'd eventually see an automated system calling the balls and strikes that would replace the home plate umpire's calls. He said that the human eye can only see a baseball traveling 90 MPH 10 feet before home plate before it hits the catcher's mitt and that the pitchers would have to be throwing 50 MPH to call balls and strikes accurately without as much human error.

The umpire's hand motion looks like he was calling a strike, but he likely was just pointing towards first base.

I think its insane to assume that the umpire called strike three and then either a) changed his mind or b) forgot about it. I think he called it a ball the whole way, made a stupid hand gesture, McCann threw through to 2nd before hearing the call, and the ump at 2nd made the call not realizing it was ball 4.

It wasn't a blown call by anybody, it was just a poor job of managing the call by the home plate umpire. You don't point to 1st with your right hand after a ball. Call it a ball and stay in the crouch for a second.

If he had actually called it a strike then changed it, he should be fired or at least suspended, but I think the Orioles making the playoffs this year is more likely than that being the case.

I think that ump usually does that stupid little hand move whenever he calls a strike. I think the ump royally screwed that call up.

If there ever was a time for this thread....

Jim Joyce just ROBBED Armando Galarraga of a perfect game.

Absolutely horrible. There is no excuse for such a huge mistake in such a big spot.

Only worst calls I have ever seen were Denkinger and Garcia.

Archived