Rox Trade For Unknown Right-handed Bullpen Help

Greg Pappas

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is he finished, or just having a bad year? I'd like to see what he's got as Mora's replacement next year. If he returns to form, he'd be a steal for Baez. If not, well he can't have too long left on his contract, right? Look at Lowell, we thought he was a salary dump throw in in the Burnett deal a few years back, and instead he was reborn in Boston. Stranger things have happened!
What? 3B Garrett Atkins with the .225 batting average, 6 HR, and a .630 OPS? Pass.

See above what I wrote about this in the other thread! For Baez, its worth the risk...to me anyway!

See above what I wrote about this in the other thread! For Baez, its worth the risk...to me anyway!
For the record, Atkins has 1 year of arbitration left. He'll probably get about $7.5-8M next year. Very, very small raise at best due to his poor season.

I'd take a gamble on him, although for some reason I really doubt Baez is the guy the Rockies have just traded for.

I'll say this much, I'm going to be disappointed if it's not Baez.

If Colorado was interested in him (as reported last night), he should be a Rockie already. There's absolutely no reason for him to remain an Oriole, IMO. Heck, I'd probably accept the proverbial "bag of balls" for him.

I would honestly give them Baez. I would not want anything back. I would be happy to just get him off of the roster and let a younger guy take his spot. I expect it to be Baez for some Class A 30 year old reliever that will never make it. The sad part is that I will be ecstatic with that guy for Baez.

If Colorado was interested in him (as reported last night), he should be a Rockie already. There's absolutely no reason for him to remain an Oriole, IMO. Heck, I'd probably accept the proverbial "bag of balls" for him.

The Rox may have been interested in several RH bullpen arms with Baez being one of them. They could easily have settled on someone else that they had more interest in and it would have had nothing to do with the Orioles or AM's demands.

No reason at all to be "disappointed" in O's management, which seems to be what you're implying, if it isn't Baez.

Yep, you would think that if AM really had someone interested in Baez, he wouldn't be driving a particularly hard bargain at this point. While the velocity has been high, so have the drives off hitter's bats.

I don't expect any kind of return for Baez, so I'm not too concerned whether we trade him or not. The only upside to trading Baez is that it would clear space for Sarfate or Mickolio. Come to think of it, that's a good enough reason for me!

With the roster crunch coming with Koji, Ray, Sarfate we need to clear some space. Other GMs know this aslo, so I am guessing we will pay at least 75% of his salary and get a prospect in the 15 best of organization type of guy. If he is traded at all. Would be great to clear him off the roster. He makes me cringe lately. Chris

Atkins has an .816 OPS ML career ave. Unless you think he is done at 29, I think Atkins is good return for Baez.

And a .736 career OPS away from Coors. He hit .259/.310/.407 after the break last year, so coupled with the craptastic year he's been having it's reasonable to think he might be cooked and was never actually that good to begin with.

Archived