Tillman 7/23 Start

Birds08

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I expect Tillman to get hammered in his first start. He showed nerves in the futures game and the results were sub par. Its got to be huge to be 21 and pitch in the big leagues, its going to take some time to adjust. They're gonna feast on his 90 MPH fastball too, just wait.

I think he'll be successful, but early on the growing pains will be obvious.

He doesn't have a "90 MPH fastball". He sits at 91-93, touches 95.

I expect Tillman to get hammered in his first start. He showed nerves in the futures game and the results were sub par. Its got to be huge to be 21 and pitch in the big leagues, its going to take some time to adjust. They're gonna feast on his 90 MPH fastball too, just wait.

If you go look at the pitch FX data youd see he throws harder than 90.....His stuff is similar to Hernandez's but better and apparently has excellent poise and better control than Hernandez. I am not expecting the growing pains to be too evident.

Maybe he knew he was getting called up and that was on his mind?

Or maybe he just didn't have his best stuff tonight, as happens with pitchers all the time?

Either way, if you were going to call him before todays start, then you should still call him up after todays start.

Seeing as he is ready to be here and has nothing left to prove in the minors, I see no reason for him to make another minor league start.

It's time to bring him up. A home game with Kansas City is as easy a debut as he reasonably could expect to ever have. Let him go for it.

According to the Gwinnett broadcast, Tillman is around 90 mph with his fastball.

Tillman gets out of it, but has thrown 46 pitches after 2 innings of work.

He doesn't have a "90 MPH fastball". He sits at 91-93, touches 95.

I was listening to the Gwinnett radio broadcast too. Also, I don't know if this had been mentioned in the thread or not, but there was a major rainstorm down there an hour before gametime. I'm sure it didn't affect him, but I'm all for excuses. :o

I was listening to the Gwinnett radio broadcast too. Also, I don't know if this had been mentioned in the thread or not, but there was a major rainstorm down there an hour before gametime. I'm sure it didn't affect him, but I'm all for excuses. :o

Just because the Gwinett gun says 90 MPH doesnt mean its accurate. The gun during the futures game was way off, the pitch FX gun read the accurate readings...

Archived