What young pitching would you deal?

bigbird

His value has gotta be sky high right now for a contending team. Its a win now move and its a win for the future. We all would love to see him perfomr this well, especially after seeing a similar "just throws strikes" guy throw a perfect game today. The thing is there's also a chance he starts to get hit a lot over the years. Our best chance at capitalizing on his value would be to trade now for a seriously good prospect and then some.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None. Pitching comes first. If they put together a solid rotation and have a surplus in a couple of years then you can trade from that surplus for position players but not at this point.

Let's say we targeted a third baseman and the team submitted us a list of 3pitchers to obtain that player.

The 3 pitchers are Bergesen, Hernandez and Arrieta...Out of those 3, who would you trade?

The choice would be between Bergesen and Hernandez. Now which one, that's difficult. They both have strong qualities, but some drawbacks. Bergesen isn't going to wow anyone, he doesn't walk many guys but also doesn't strikeout many, he's all about command and inducing hitters into hitting ground ball outs, but if he keeps his stuff up in the zone he gets hit. Some games he'll go 6 or 7 innings but give up 10 hits. Hernandez has got the strikeout numbers in the minors, although it hasn't translated yet to the big leagues. I worry about his command, just based on what I have seen, which admittedly isn't that much, and I think we're all tired of guys with command issues.

The deciding vote comes down to this for me. If Hernandez stuff doesn't translate and he can't stick as a starter, I trade him, because I think despite the strong qualities we have and can draft and develop other guys to pitch out of the pen. But, if he does stick as a starter, I'd probably deal Bergesen because he's got less room for error in his repetoire.

Regardless, I hope both will stick around for years to come and it would be tough to deal either of them.

So, despite Bergesen's impressive numbers this year, most people still think Hernandez will have the more successful major league career?

No, but from the beginning Hernandez has always had the more intriguing stats. Hes a strikeout guy with other pitches besides a heater. Bergesen may have the same ceiling, but hes more of an enigma. Something I can't really point to for his potential becuase he has seemingly surpassed or met his potential.

I think Bergesen could potentially be the best of the bunch, but much of baseball logic says he doesnt have the tools to be better. Hernandez has the makeup/stuff of many, many successful pitchers.

Its probably beneficial to hold on to a guy like Bergesen because you won't get much in a trade, but he has a very intriguing future. I guess what im saying is if he does turn out to be special, you don't want to say you gave him away for nothing.

You have a bit more statistical proof/track record to point towards in saying that Hernandez could be the better pitcher. Everythign more we get from Bergesen feels like extra.

The big 3 should be untouchable in my opinion. Offense isn't our problem. Bergesen, as an innings eater type would be a nice 4 in the league. We just don't have enough pitching

Like they say, for every pitcher you THINK you have, 1 will be good, 1 will get injured, and 1 will bomb. If I am optimistic, and 2 of those pan out, then we still have a really long way to go before catching up with the teams in the top half of the division.

We fold like a house of cards when we play Bos and NYY.

That being said, I really dont get the hype for Erbe. I'd trade him despite being a home town boy.

From COTS

Potential Free Agents for 2010

First Basemen

Russell Branyan SEA

Carlos Delgado NYM

Jason Giambi * OAK

Ross Gload * FLA

Aubrey Huff BAL

Nick Johnson WAS

Adam LaRoche PIT

Robb Quinlan LAA

Matt Stairs PHI

Mike Sweeney SEA

Jim Thome CHW

Chad Tracy ARZ

Third Basemen

Adrian Beltre SEA

Hank Blalock TEX

Geoff Blum HOU

Joe Crede MIN

Pedro Feliz * PHI

Chone Figgins LAA

Troy Glaus STL

Mike Lamb MIL

Melvin Mora * BAL

Potential Free Agents for 2011

First Basemen

Lance Berkman HOU *

Wes Helms FLA

Jason Giambi OAK

Ross Gload FLA

Paul Konerko CWS

Derrek Lee CHC

David Ortiz BOS *

Lyle Overbay TOR

Carlos Pena TB

Albert Pujols STL *

Third Basemen

Garrett Atkins COL

Wilson Betemit CWS

Jorge Cantu FLA

Eric Chavez OAK *

Pedro Feliz PHI

Bill Hall MIL *

Brandon Inge DET

Maicer Izturis LAA

Mike Lowell BOS

Melvin Mora BAL

Nick Punto MIN *

Scott Rolen TOR

Ty Wigginton BAL

I'd have to think if you're getting more than you're giving up it would be wise to let any or all of them go. I love the way it is as it seems as though we will be in contention in 2 or 3 years but if you load up enough Votto's and Longoria's to win a championship I'll fly back there just to drive them to the airport.

So, despite Bergesen's impressive numbers this year, most people still think Hernandez will have the more successful major league career?

Yeah, I do think there's a good chance, even if Bergesen continues as he has done so far.

Bergesen would have a lot of value this winter if he keeps this up. In service time, money, and value, he would be what every team wants. I wouldn't fire-sale him by any means, but I would be open to a top notch offer that would add to the core group of players at a position of need.

I've seen enough lousy pitching to make me pretty selfish. I'm not dealing away any of my prospects. As far as I'm concerned, not all of them are going to hit... so why lower the odds of getting some production out of the arms by getting rid of some. I can take 2-1 losses a whole lot better than 15-9. If the season is filled with the 2-1, 3-2 type games... it means our bullpen probably isn't worn out at the all star break. If a lineup isn't producing, I feel a whole heck of a lot more comfortable with that breaking out due to the fact that the hitter gets 3 or 4 chances a night compared to once every 5 days for a pitcher.

Archived