What young pitching would you deal?

bigbird

Should we have signed BRob?

Should we trade Scott, Guthrie and Sherrill now?

I wasn't for re-signing Roberts, but understand why they did. We've got to live w/ the consequences and hope Roberts bounces back next year.

We should be looking at value for Scott and considering all offers on Guthrie and Sherrill.

We've agreed on those fronts for almost a year now, I think, SG. I remember, because it's one of those few things on which we do. ;)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It does if you're giving up those 3 players for one guy who won't equal their collective production.

I'm curious what do you think of Gonzalez? What would you give up for him?

I would probably be open to a package similar to the one Jtrea is saying.

There is enough doubt about Snyder...Reimold can be replaced and, as AM keeps saying, you build inventory because not every prospect is going to become what you hope.

The problem is, this team has to build up more talent.

So many people on here are so afraid to deal players when they are doing good...They only want to trade guys that are sucking(like Huff now)...Those people then complain we don't have talent on the team...Well duh!..you can't trade scraps and hope to get back a ton of talent..It just doesn;t happen that way.

Scott, Sherrill, Guthrie...they all need to be traded...Then, you have a larger talent base to trade from and it makes it much easier to move younger players.

The plan now is basically to hope that our system produces everything all at once...that's a terrible plan.

I would probably be open to a package similar to the one Jtrea is saying.

There is enough doubt about Snyder...Reimold can be replaced and, as AM keeps saying, you build inventory because not every prospect is going to become what you hope.

The problem is, this team has to build up more talent.

So many people on here are so afraid to deal players when they are doing good...They only want to trade guys that are sucking(like Huff now)...Those people then complain we don't have talent on the team...Well duh!..you can't trade scraps and hope to get back a ton of talent..It just doesn;t happen that way.

Scott, Sherrill, Guthrie...they all need to be traded...Then, you have a larger talent base to trade from and it makes it much easier to move younger players.

The plan now is basically to hope that our system produces everything all at once...that's a terrible plan.

I agree that Scott, Sherrill and Guthrie should all be traded. But couldn't we get a first baseman back for one of those?

That's a much better plan, IMO. We should be getting multiple players back for one of our guys, not the other way around.

I agree that Scott, Sherrill and Guthrie should all be traded. But couldn't we get a first baseman back for one of those?

That's a much better plan, IMO. We should be getting multiple players back for one of our guys, not the other way around.

Sure, you try to get a younger option...That's always preferred...But if the option isn't there, then you build up more pitching or OF help if needed and then you have more depth to get a guy like AGon.

Sure, you try to get a younger option...That's always preferred...But if the option isn't there, then you build up more pitching or OF help if needed and then you have more depth to get a guy like AGon.
The pipe dream here is that AGon is a lock to extend. Plus his numbers won't get us that much closer to contention unless the pitching improves greatly, and it won't if you trade some of it away.

Luke Scott- .863 career OPS, 122 OPS+

Adrian Gonzalez- .852 OPS, 128 OPS+

Now, I think Gonzalez is a better option considering his defense. But is that small difference worth Arrieta, Reimold, Britton and Snyder?

The answer to that question is obvious, IMO.

OPS+ between leagues is a sham. Gonzalez gets compared to pitchers and generally inferior talent than Scott gets compared to.

That said, I do think Gonzalez is a much better player. But I don't know how much better.

Trading for Gonzalez makes absolute sense if BAL decides to go all out to compete in 2010 and 2011. That means signing a 3B/SS and front end starter. You can even argue that, after extending Roberts, it's the best way to take advantage of having BRob while he's still fairly productive. Trading for Gonzalez without making the other moves is a waste of resources -- both talent via trade and money. My guess is that BAL is not going to spend big in FA, so I don't think trading for AGon makes much sense at this point.

The pipe dream here is that AGon is a lock to extend
I agree..That's far from a lock but it is more likely if you trade for him vs not trading for him.
Plus his numbers won't get us that much closer to contention unless the pitching improves greatly, and it won't if you trade some of it away.

Well this is kind of bs...It just depends on who you trade, what depth you have leftover and what that depth does.

We could certainly deal Arrieta, Tillman or Matusz and still be able to pitch well.

Trading for Gonzalez makes absolute sense if BAL decides to go all out to compete in 2010 and 2011. That means signing a 3B/SS and front end starter. You can even argue that, after extending Roberts, it's the best way to take advantage of having BRob while he's still fairly productive. Trading for Gonzalez without making the other moves is a waste of resources -- both talent via trade and money. My guess is that BAL is not going to spend big in FA, so I don't think trading for AGon makes much sense at this point.
I agree with this.

Trade Guthrie for Hardy....Sign Lackey or Bedard...Trade for AGon.

Lackey or Bedard, Matusz, BB, Tillman/Arrieta, DH.

That makes things much more interesting...Also maybe use Sherrill or Scott to get a third baseman.

Look at the Gonzalez stuff from a different angle.

Since guys like BB, JJ and Hernandez are young, cheap and have had ML success, is there any chance those guys are looked at in a way that makes them as likely to be in a trade vs Arrieta for example?

Say we offer BB or DH, JJ, Snyder and Erbe or Britton....That likely doesn't work but young players(especially pitchers) that have established themselves have a lot of value as well as the younger, top prospect guys.

Archived