If Trembley is gone after this year ...

TonySoprano

That's exactly what I was thinking. Even the canadates, Hoiles is already a head coach for a semi-pro league, and Acta should be given a chance with a team that is somewhat close to breaking out. (It feels good to say that :clap3:)

But, indeed I think we could give Jauss a chance for right now.

First, that you think that York plays in a semi-pro league is amusing. More amusing is the fact that you seem to think coaching in a semi-pro league is appropriate experience for an MLB manager.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First, that you think that York plays in a semi-pro league is amusing. More amusing is the fact that you seem to think coaching in a semi-pro league is appropriate experience for an MLB manager.

I'm not saying it's appropiate experience, all I'm saying is that it's some experience.

Are they not in a Semi-pro league? I recall someone on here saying they were.

I'm not saying it's appropiate experience, all I'm saying is that it's some experience.

Are they not in a Semi-pro league? I recall someone on here saying they were.

I'm just yanking your chain.

It's an independent league. I'm not sure that's "semi-pro." Maybe it is. LOL.

Who realistically would you like to see as manager in 2010? It's easy for some to kick him to the curb. Let's see how easy it would be to get someone to take his place.

Same answer I've given in the past:

1) Bobby Valentine, if it works out that he can't stay in Japan (his contract is up and his team says they can't afford to pay him; the fans love him and have been signing petitions and bringing signs to the games asking that he be brought back).

2) Bob Melvin -- I think he's a good manager that got a bad deal in Arizona. He is a smart player who played for the Orioles and knows how to play the game the right way. He is a guy who had some independent wealth outside of baseball and he never played the game for financial need but for the love of the game. He played for Sparky Anderson, Frank Robinson, and Johnny Oates, among others.

Last night on the Red Sox telecast the color guy made mention of this team's approach to the game, called it "laid back." Then he went on to say that most of the players here have never beenon a winning team, and that they play like it. Either way, it was a criticism of their approach.

That kind of thing doesn't get talked about in a vacuum. If it's talked about in a broadcasting booth, it's being talked about elsewhere in the game. Unless this team really catches fire from here in, I think Trembley will be replaced, and I think the replacement will be more a Dick Williams type than an Acta type or Acta himself. That may be unfair, maybe not, but if a change is made it will be more than a new face. It will be an attempt at a new approach.

I think they'll look for a hardnosed guy with a record of success. Not sure who fits that description*, but that'll be the specs. He may also be big enough to demand a multiyear contract. This will be a good thing. Trembley sometimes manages like a guy who could be out of a job at any time. Not unreasonable because, guess what, he could.

*Davey Johnson? What a hoot that would be.

I'd say Davey if the hatchet is truly buried and he has the stamina to go out and manage a team for 162 games a year. Johnson is not as young as he once was, but I still think he has one of the best minds for the game in the business.

After all, he emulated the greatest manager of all time: Weaver.

Then again, the Cito experiment in Toronto has not exactly gone as expected this year.

Last night on the Red Sox telecast the color guy made mention of this team's approach to the game, called it "laid back." Then he went on to say that most of the players here have never beenon a winning team, and that they play like it. Either way, it was a criticism of their approach.

That kind of thing doesn't get talked about in a vacuum. If it's talked about in a broadcasting booth, it's being talked about elsewhere in the game. Unless this team really catches fire from here in, I think Trembley will be replaced, and I think the replacement will be more a Dick Williams type than an Acta type or Acta himself. That may be unfair, maybe not, but if a change is made it will be more than a new face. It will be an attempt at a new approach.

I think they'll look for a hardnosed guy with a record of success. Not sure who fits that description*, but that'll be the specs. He may also be big enough to demand a multiyear contract. This will be a good thing. Trembley sometimes manages like a guy who could be out of a job at any time. Not unreasonable because, guess what, he could.

*Davey Johnson? What a hoot that would be.

Really, really need to read this.

Baseball has countless jobs and specialties besides managing, many of which would suit the less-spicy version of Johnson. "Baseball is a whole life. Every day. Most can't adjust to anything outside that," he said. "You can't give it up."

Really, really need to read this.

Thanks for posting the link. Great article that I missed the first time around.

I saw nothing in there that makes me think that he wouldn't be a great choice, and despite his demurral I wonder if he still couldn't be persuaded.

Sometimes smart guys can't resist a chance to have the last word.

Thanks for posting the link. Great article that I missed the first time around.

I saw nothing in there that makes me think that he wouldn't be a great choice, and despite his demurral I wonder if he still couldn't be persuaded.

Sometimes smart guys can't resist a chance to have the last word.

I don't know, I wasn't that impressed with his job with Team USA. I think the game might have passed DJ by. Even the good ones can get long in the tooth. We'd be better off with a younger manager that has some new, fresh ideas...

I don't know, I wasn't that impressed with his job with Team USA. I think the game might have passed DJ by. Even the good ones can get long in the tooth. We'd be better off with a younger manager that has some new, fresh ideas...

That could be a good idea too. A younger manager may be able to connect with players better.

Bobby Valentine will be coming back state side in 2010:

I came to feel that for me to leave the team at the end of the 2009 season is best for the Shigemitsu family and for the Chiba Lotte Marines, and so I wanted to make this announcement about the decision as soon as possible.

Archived