Matusz start tonight...Game delayed?

Sports Guy

that ground ball inducing machine Britton guy might be ahead of one of the other two of the Big-3. We'll have to see how this season plays out but he's in the mix.

Awesome...keep em coming. This pitching staff is going to be very dangerous at the major league level. Something Baltimore has not had in a long time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, that ground ball inducing machine Britton guy might be ahead of one of the other two of the Big-3. We'll have to see how this season plays out but he's in the mix.

I'm looking forward to seeing your write-up of Britton after attending last night's game. As I posted elsewhere, Britton at age 21 is posting a better ERA and more IP/start at Frederick than Arrieta did last year at age 22. So yeah, he may deserve to be ranked ahead of Arrieta. That's not a knock on Jake, it's a high compliment to Zach.

At the same time, I've been wondering if Arrieta's destiny is to be our Jonathan Papelbon. He seems to have a little trouble getting deep into games, but I think he'd be absolutely dominant coming out of the pen. I'm not suggesting that we move him to the pen before giving him a shot at the rotation, but this is something to keep in mind as an option. His 0.00 ERA in 14 appearances in the AFL out of the bullpen has never left my mind.

I'm looking forward to seeing your write-up of Britton after attending last night's game. As I posted elsewhere, Britton at age 21 is posting a better ERA and more IP/start at Frederick than Arrieta did last year at age 22. So yeah, he may deserve to be ranked ahead of Arrieta. That's not a knock on Jake, it's a high compliment to Zach.

At the same time, I've been wondering if Arrieta's destiny is to be our Jonathan Papelbon. He seems to have a little trouble getting deep into games, but I think he'd be absolutely dominant coming out of the pen. I'm not suggesting that we move him to the pen before giving him a shot at the rotation, but this is something to keep in mind as an option. His 0.00 ERA in 14 appearances in the AFL out of the bullpen has never left my mind.

All I will say to this is that you are not alone in this line of thinking. I've heard scouts who have believed all along that Arrieta will end up in the back end of a bullpen because of his injury history. I'm still open to him remaining a starter and realistically would need to see him fail as a major leaue starter before making the switch.

Still, would a pitching staff in 2011 of Matusz, Tillman, Bergesen, Britton, and Hernandez in the rotation and a bullpen that included Arrieta as closer along with Johnson, Berken, Mickolio, Albers, Meredith and Zagone as a LOOGY (look at his #'s against lefties) be a pretty wicked staff???

All I will say to this is that you are not alone in this line of thinking. I've heard scouts who have believed all along that Arrieta will end up in the back end of a bullpen because of his injury history. I'm still open to him remaining a starter and realistically would need to see him fail as a major leaue starter before making the switch.

Still, would a pitching staff in 2011 of Matusz, Tillman, Bergesen, Britton, and Hernandez in the rotation and a bullpen that included Arrieta as closer along with Johnson, Berken, Mickolio, Albers, Meredith and Zagone as a LOOGY (look at his #'s against lefties) be a pretty wicked staff???

He does have both the stuff and the exact temperament to be the next big name closer. I could easily see either him or DH making the switch pretty seamlessly.

He does have both the stuff and the exact temperament to be the next big name closer. I could easily see either him or DH making the switch pretty seamlessly.

I can't really say why, but I think Arrieta has a little more of the closer mentality than Hernandez. He's confident right to the point of being cocky, but not over the line. I think Hernandez could be very good in the bullpen, but I think Arrieta might be the kind of "lights out" guy that very few teams have.

I can't really say why, but I think Arrieta has a little more of the closer mentality than Hernandez. He's confident right to the point of being cocky, but not over the line. I think Hernandez could be very good in the bullpen, but I think Arrieta might be the kind of "lights out" guy that very few teams have.

They are both like that, Jake has just gotten more written about. I think Dave is a little more of the calm, collected confident like Matusz is, and Jake is just flat out "I'm better than you and will get you out". Either way I wouldn't be disappointed, but I do agree with you that I think Jake could be another Rivera or Papelbon.

To me, he's a top of the rotation guy even though he doesn't have the blazing mid-90 fastball. BTW, that ground ball inducing machine Britton guy might be ahead of one of the other two of the Big-3. We'll have to see how this season plays out but he's in the mix.

Tony, is there any concern in the increase in walks this year with Britton? Looking at his numbers right now (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/Zachary-Britton.shtml) I see that he is walking 3.6 batters a game up from 3.0 at Delmarva. Is this something that could get higher as he moves further up in the system?

Tony, is there any concern in the increase in walks this year with Britton? Looking at his numbers right now (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/Zachary-Britton.shtml) I see that he is walking 3.6 batters a game up from 3.0 at Delmarva. Is this something that could get higher as he moves further up in the system?

It could, we won't know til he gets there, but with a sinker-ball pitcher, you will usually see some extra walks because that's the pitch he is most successful with and guys know it is, so they will be watching for it and trying to lay off it in certain situations. Most sinkers won't end up in the zone, so it's just the kinda risk you run. Ideally you will get contact from most of them and not walks, but it can happen.

His ERA is now down to 1.59. His k/bb rate is over 3. His WHIP (for those who take interest in that stat) is at .88, and he's only allowed 2 HRs in is his 45.1 innings spanning 7 starts (averaging about 6.2 innings per start).

We heard that Matusz might not be challenged at all in the low minors due to his excellent secondary pitches and pin-point control. He was very, very good in A+ despite some reports that he was intentionally not resorting to his offspeed stuff as much. He has now gotten even better in AA over the span of 7 great starts.

I understand the idea of letting him experience sustained success, but really Matusz has known nothing but success in his college and pro career. Let him try out his fastball command at AAA against older competition with more experience. Let's really see what we've got here.

I remember when Matusz started off the year not pitching so dominantly in A+ ball. I remember contantly defending Matusz saying that he is going to hit his groove and take off, wait until he finds his groove. So many people were saying that we shoulda drafted Smoak or Beckham. Now, months later, Smoak hasnt even been brought up on the baord in a Matusz thread in quite a while, not even in jokes anymore....Matusz is IMO the better prospect and will be ranked higher at the end of the season top 100 list. He realistically may end up in the top 4...

Dont be concered with the walks. Britton hiked up his velo this year slightly, and had been working on perfecting his slider and change up, so obviously, when trying to work on stuff you are not perfect at, your gonna make mistakes. Regardless though, he has been qutie lights out this year and hils BB rate has been coming down. It was over 4 earlier this year, and frankly, 3.6 BB/9 cvompared to 3.0 BB/9 really isnt even a large enough margin to even worry about. Maybe if it was still a whole walk higher, but not over a half of a BB/9.......

And yes, Matusz is in his own class and IMO the best LHSP in the milb. He is the kind of guy who could be your #1. You can hand him the ball any day and expect him to post 0's. I cannot wait to see him in the MLs. Arrieta really hasnt hit as much of a brick wall as he is spoken of here. He wasnt doing bad in the beginning, just lately he has been getting knocked around a bit. Dont worry, he'll get back to normal, just give him a bit of time. Id have him begin 2010 in Norfolk and Matusz leapfrog him in pecking order allowing Matusz to start OD on the staff. He probably could be a dominant starter, but Id rather have his value out of a starter's role instead if he can maintain it.

Some people questioned me when I put Matusz ahead of Tillman and Arrieta on last year's top prospect list. Admittedly, that was based off my reports from the scouts who had seen him in college and in the AFL, but after seeing him this year, there's no doubt in my mind he's at a different level.

To me, he's a top of the rotation guy even though he doesn't have the blazing mid-90 fastball. BTW, that ground ball inducing machine Britton guy might be ahead of one of the other two of the Big-3. We'll have to see how this season plays out but he's in the mix.

And this, I am beginning to agree with. Atleast as a starter, Britton has posted similar numbers, and even better numbers than Spoone did. What I like most about Britton is that you can see the improvement in his peripherals in each level he climbs to. Hes having a true break out season this year and if he can get his control down, has the ceiling IMO similar to what Trevor Cahill's is. Right this second, I dont have Britton ahead of Arrieta, but I have them equally rated, I am more curious to see where Britton will rank among the top 100 prospect list this year...Will he finally get some love?

And also, Erbe is still posting some pretty nice numbers in Bowie despite being one of the youngest players in the league and despite dealing with shoulder fatigue in the middle of his own break out season. If he continues to pitch well and seems back on track, he could also jet up those prospect lists.....Hes always hovered right around the 100+ range, all it takes for him is a breakout season since he is so much on the prospect radar, unlike Britton.....

From what I saw last night, I wouldn't be too concerned. He did get out of whack occasionally but was able to make good pitches when he had to. He's not a tremendous command guy like Matusz, especially with the changeup, so he's going to walk some guys, but he's not wild and just by going off of memory here, I believe he's improved his walk rate over the last month or so.

I remember when Matusz started off the year not pitching so dominantly in A+ ball. I remember contantly defending Matusz saying that he is going to hit his groove and take off, wait until he finds his groove. So many people were saying that we shoulda drafted Smoak or Beckham. Now, months later, Smoak hasnt even been brought up on the baord in a Matusz thread in quite a while, not even in jokes anymore....Matusz is IMO the better prospect and will be ranked higher at the end of the season top 100 list. He realistically may end up in the top 4

To be fair, I can only think of two posters who had this opinion: JTrea81 and Wayne25. And I don't think either has changed their opinion, they just don't have a lot of ammunition right now so they are being quiet.

I was surprised when Matusz got off to a slow start at Frederick, and I think a lot of other people were, too. But I was never really concerned, and I don't think many people were. Impatient, yes.

In any event, Matusz has answered any doubters.

To be fair, I can only think of two posters who had this opinion: JTrea81 and Wayne25. And I don't think either has changed their opinion, they just don't have a lot of ammunition right now so they are being quiet.

I was surprised when Matusz got off to a slow start at Frederick, and I think a lot of other people were, too. But I was never really concerned, and I don't think many people were. Impatient, yes.

In any event, Matusz has answered any doubters.

There were a few more who followed both Trea and Wayne25. But regardless yes, Matusz has proven the doubters wrong, which I am glad for. If you look at the #'s Matusz is pitching better than the top pitcher in the minors at the same level(MadBum). The difference of course is Madbum is a bit younger, but I think Matusz's prospect status is compentated with the fact that Matusz has such a refined arsenal and has such good stuff, compared to Bumgarner who just has a fastball with awesome command of it. I like Matusz's chances of becoming a #1 a lot more than Bumgarner's...This IMO is why he has to be in the running for #1 pitcher in the minors.....Tillman is just a few slots behind Matusz, have we ever had 2 pitchers ranked this highly before at the same time? McDonald and Mussina maybe?

There were a few more who followed both Trea and Wayne25. But regardless yes, Matusz has proven the doubters wrong, which I am glad for. If you look at the #'s Matusz is pitching better than the top pitcher in the minors at the same level(MadBum). The difference of course is Madbum is a bit younger, but I think Matusz's prospect status is compentated with the fact that Matusz has such a refined arsenal and has such good stuff, compared to Bumgarner who just has a fastball with awesome command of it. I like Matusz's chances of becoming a #1 a lot more than Bumgarner's...This IMO is why he has to be in the running for #1 pitcher in the minors.....Tillman is just a few slots behind Matusz, have we ever had 2 pitchers ranked this highly before at the same time? McDonald and Mussina maybe?

Just think, we JUST missed having a matchup of Matusz v Bumgarner last night.

Archived