This is Progress

helloharv

I'm not going to knock you for believing this, but what proof do you have of it. He's not going to "buy the bats" until we're ready to compete. When we are close I believe he will buy the bats, but not until then. Also, he made an attempt in the offseason to buy a bat (which he said was a wise deviation from the plan) but it didn't work out. Unless you just think that the Tex offer was a token offer, I don't see how you can think that he won't try to bring in a big time bat when we are ready to compete.

What bat out there in the upcoming FA class do you think he's actually going to buy that will make a difference?

Look at the upcoming classes, the talent keeps getting older and worse. And the good talent we will have no shot at because nobody under 35 wants to play in Baltimore when there are better teams out there that win.

And we can buy bats to help out our pitchers so they don't feel they need to throw a CGSO every time out. We don't have to wait until we are "close" to buy a bat. We can and will need to buy a bat to get "close" IMO.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not going to knock you for believing this, but what proof do you have of it. He's not going to "buy the bats" until we're ready to compete. When we are close I believe he will buy the bats, but not until then. Also, he made an attempt in the offseason to buy a bat (which he said was a wise deviation from the plan) but it didn't work out. Unless you just think that the Tex offer was a token offer, I don't see how you can think that he won't try to bring in a big time bat when we are ready to compete.

What proof do you have that he will?

What bat out there in the upcoming FA class do you think he's actually going to buy that will make a difference?

Look at the upcoming classes, the talent keeps getting older and worse. And the good talent we will have no shot at because nobody under 35 wants to play in Baltimore when there are better teams out there that win.

And we can buy bats to help out our pitchers so they don't feel they need to throw a CGSO every time out. We don't have to wait until we are "close" to buy a bat. We can and will need to buy a bat to get "close" IMO.

Branyan could be a possibility. Not advocating it, but it is an option.

It is not how much but how you spend.

Look at the mets and yes I will say it until they win something, the idiotic yankees.

Well with only a $67 million dollar payroll, you'd think we'd be making some significant investments in the draft and in the international area.

But we haven't...

Excellent question. I'll be very disappointed if the O's go into next season with Wigginton or Mora as the starting 3B, unless the O's have traded for a highly touted 3B who is at Norfolk.

I'll be disappointed if the O's do not move Sherrill at the deadline this year as I think this is going to be the high point of his trade value.

I'll be disappointed if the O's sign more Wigginton types to take over 1B or other spots next year.

I can only judge trades on a case by case basis. The thing is, is that I think we might still be a year away from adding that big FA bat or that big FA pitcher. I don't think I'll have a final answer on AM even by the end of next season. He has built up a fair amount of credit with me. He'd have to make some disastrous moves for me to want him gone by next September.

Most if not all of this seems to be more player management, who comes, who goes, who stays.. etc. That would be on AM.

How would you evaluate the manager? Or do you believe that function has little bearing on whether a team of players are reaching, exceeding their potential/expectations?

Branyan could be a possibility. Not advocating it, but it is an option.

Branyan is not a good example of premium talent. He's having a career year at age 33. But this year is clearly an outlier.

Look and see what the Yankees, Rays and Red Sox have in their offense.

Branyan while an upgrade just isn't enough.

We need that Pujols, Teixeira, Longoria type, that is a superstar. That's the talent that we need to compete in the AL East IMO.

Wieters or Jones may develop into it, but it sure would be nice to give them some help...

I think you are wrong. I think they were serious about Tex. Unfortunately the two biggest spenders in baseball were involved in that one. I think Angelos agrees with AM's buy the bats philosophy. I think the O's will spend on the right guy.

I have said that if a Tejada or Vlad type bargain comes around, then I believes AM could and would get it done...However, i am not sure that player will exist over the next several years..It will either be the Huff type guys or 100+ million dollar contracts....The one guy that may be different would be Hardy...I could see AM signing him.

What proof do you have that he will?

I don't have any proof that he will, but there are past instances that indicate he will. First, he tried to sign Tex. It's debatable about how much he tried to sign him, and whether Tex was ever interested, but he did make a substantial offer. Second, in MIN he brought in Jack Morris and Chili Davis when the Twins won the WS in '91. Third, I would just rather believe that he will. Neither of us knows what he is going to do, so I would rather take the position that he will as that eases my mind more. You might mock this reasoning, but since we don't know I'm not going to try to make myself more upset about this since everything else he has done indicates that he is thoughtful and knows how to build a team.

I agree with the bolded part. The FA classes are becoming less impressive. However, if this is the case, then doesn't it stand to reason that teams like the MFY's who spend alot in FA and are not very deep in their farm systems will regress.

I have no beef against you, but I hate when you say this. I know this was true maybe a few years ago, but is there proof of this now? So many people are taking notice of what we are doing. GS wants to stay, Huff wants to stay>> both under 35.

Brian Cashman earlier in the year said that we look like the new Rays with the talent we are acquiring. You have a guy like Tex that would have come here if we were the highest bidder, because for him it was all about the money. I just feel like you have no proof that in a year or two we are going to have to "overpay" to have somebody come to Baltimore.

I don't have any proof that he will, but there are past instances that indicate he will. First, he tried to sign Tex. It's debatable about how much he tried to sign him, and whether Tex was ever interested, but he did make a substantial offer. Second, in MIN he brought in Jack Morris and Chili Davis when the Twins won the WS in '91. Third, I would just rather believe that he will. Neither of us knows what he is going to do, so I would rather take the position that he will as that eases my mind more. You might mock this reasoning, but since we don't know I'm not going to try to make myself more upset about this since everything else he has done indicates that he is thoughtful and knows how to build a team.

And for me, I will believe it when I see it.

You want to rely on hope..That's fine.

I want something more tangible.

Until he shows the ability to bring in upper echelon FAs, then I will have my doubts about him doing that.

Now, for the most part, I stay away from a lot of free agents as well but that has to change some when you are in contention.

Branyan is not a good example of premium talent. He's having a career year at age 33. But this year is clearly an outlier.

Look and see what the Yankees, Rays and Red Sox have in their offense.

Branyan while an upgrade just isn't enough.

We need that Pujols, Teixeira, Longoria type, that is a superstar. That's the talent that we need to compete IMO.

Wieters or Jones may develop into it, but it sure would be nice to give them some help...

Are Markakis, Jones and Reimold not help? I can see all of them projecting to be 20-30 HR guys.

I agree we need another bat, but I don't see why it has to be Albert Pujols.

Tex was a misopportunity IMO...but if we grow 3 top shelf arms...do we really need to augment with a Pujols?

Our help for Wieters is could easily be on par with the Rays help for Longoria last year with a few shrewd moves and the expected player development.

I think you are wrong. I think they were serious about Tex. Unfortunately the two biggest spenders in baseball were involved in that one. I think Angelos agrees with AM's buy the bats philosophy. I think the O's will spend on the right guy.

What about the Angels and Nationals that offered more than the Orioles did to start? You can't be serious if you don't want to play...

If Teixeira isn't the right guy, I'm not sure who is...

Pujols will be a FA after 2011, but I don't see us going after him at all. I expect the Cardinals to retain him or the Cubs to land him.

Adrian Gonzalez will be with the Red Sox when he's elligible as they've coveted him for some time.

Ryan Howard and Prince Fielder may be possibilities...

And for me, I will believe it when I see it.

You want to rely on hope..That's fine.

I want something more tangible.

Until he shows the ability to bring in upper echelon FAs, then I will have my doubts about him doing that.

Now, for the most part, I stay away from a lot of free agents as well but that has to change some when you are in contention.

Well, I'm relying on more than hope if you read the first two arguments. With the ability that he showed in rebuilding our farm system, it stands to reason that he will be able to complete the project when the time comes.

Archived