This is Progress

helloharv

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody should fault O's fans for impatience. However, progress is being made. The fact that it is not translating to wins yet is masking the gradual progress in advancing players through the organization.

Bergesen has been excellent. Reimold has been terrific. Wieters is in the majors and learning on the job. Hernandez has been excellent. Jones has advanced into an all-star in his second full season. Tillman joins the rotation in two days. Matusz has been fantastic. Arrieta is in AAA. The youth movement is right on track. The vets are the ones disappointing. But the people we NEED to succeed, are succeeding.

I'm no less excited about our future than earlier this year. We're going to be very good. You can't expect to break in so many rookies in one season, on a team with struggling vets, and expect to win. AM will really be tested this winter.

Exactly how many people predicted we would be improving our record this year? I know I didn't.

I also know that the record is completely and utterly meaningless.

1. Scouting & Drafting: Improved.

2. International presence: Improved.

3. Minor league talent and depth: Improved.

4. Marketing & Promotion: Improved.

5. Young players: Talented and signed long-term or under control long term.

6. Baltimore: Back on the jerseys.

7. MASN: Improving every year.

8. New Spring Training Facility: Check.

9. Andy MacPhail: Given full reign of baseball operations.

10. Young pitching: Much better than we've seen of other past young pitchers. Some of the best pitching prospects in the big leagues coming up through the system, unrushed, and having mostly success.

11. Video system for the players: Upgraded.

12. Minor league teaching methods: Unified.

Losing to Bruce Chen and the Royals and starting a whiny thread about it means that you do not understand just how much this entire organization has improved in two short years. Plenty to be happy about.

Dude, I understand what you're trying to point out.. but at the end of the day is the big league team showing improvement??? That's where progress is measured. Right now, it's not there.. so all this glass half full talk is 14 years old.

Well, in previous years, we have seen the Orioles play well until Mid to late July and then collapse...Maybe this year, things will be different.

BTW, at least Flanny isn't making decisions anymore. :)

Maybe we should list Flanny not making decisions on the dan-o progression list for this team. :scratchchinhmm:

Look, i'm not saying the O's should be in 2nd place in the division..but I do expect the O's to beat the piss out of the Kansas City Royals when they come into town.

I know it's going to be tough watching this team, but I do expect them to beat washed up pitchers and a team that is last in almost every offensive category in the AL. That to me is progression, beating teams you're supposed to beat. Not ****ting the bed when Bruce Chen and his 88 mph fastball comes to town.

Dude, I understand what you're trying to point out.. but at the end of the day is the big league team showing improvement??? That's where progress is measured. Right now, it's not there.. so all this glass half full talk is 14 years old.

YES, THEY ARE!!!!!!! People who think the big league team has shown no improvement must only be looking at the wins and losses. We have 2 ROY candidates in Reimold and Bergy, Wieters is making solid contact, Markakis, while not putting up the same stellar numbers from years past, is coming out of a slump and doing solidly nonetheless, and Adam Jones is simply a different player than he was last year. Once all the pieces from the minors are in place, plus some other additions, we should have something special.

YES, THEY ARE!!!!!!! People who think the big league team has shown no improvement must only be looking at the wins and losses. We have 2 ROY candidates in Reimold and Bergy, Wieters is making solid contact, Markakis, while not putting up the same stellar numbers from years past, is coming out of a slump and doing solidly nonetheless, and Adam Jones is simply a different player than he was last year. Once all the pieces from the minors are in place, plus some other additions, we should have something special.

Last time I checked wins and losses is the only thing that mattered in professional sports. It's great to have all these feel good stories, but at some point those stories need to translate into victories and not us sitting here *****ing and moaning every night cause the O's just got dusted off by the sorry ass KC Royals.

Last time I checked wins and losses is the only thing that mattered in professional sports. It's great to have all these feel good stories, but at some point those stories need to translate into victories and not us sitting here *****ing and moaning every night cause the O's just got dusted off by the sorry ass KC Royals.

And these victories aren't going to come overnight. I think most of us were well aware of the fact that we would not be contending for a couple years after McPhail came, possibly 5 even, because that's what happens when you rebuild. At this stage in the game, you can't measure success in W's and L's, but in player progression, which is most definitely happening.

The Orioles are headed in the right direction long-term and Baltimore fans need to be patient.

This is the Worst record we have had in the last 14 YEARS after this exact number of games played.

The current 42-56 record matches the 2001 club for the worst mark after 96 games in the past 18 seasons.

It's not being impatient... It's showing progress while being patient. Don't talk to me about being patient.. have been patient for 13 damn years, just show some progress for a change! Add pieces to your team that are going to be here and help this team move forward.. sorry, Luke Scott and Aubrey Huff aren't it.... show me progress instead of just sitting here pissing in the ocean for another year. Make a move that will better this team for 2010... Cause that's the year the O's are supposed to be a team to be dealt with according to "The Plan".

Don't talk to me about being patient for thirteen damn years.

You don't want progress, you want now. You don't want to have any perspective, you want to wake up tomorrow and have us in the playoff race.

Well, I hate to break it to you but that ain't gonna happen.

Either you think this team is moving in the right direction by building through the minors and taking the time to do things right, or you think it's a failure and want to see major changes and another rebuild.

Choose your side.

The guy is obviously emotional and angry right now. As I learned with my ex-wife, there's no point in having this discussion right now. Wait until the morning when you see harv standing in his robe in the kitchen making coffee. Put your hand on his back and if he doesn't move away, then try talking to him.

Don't talk to me about being patient for thirteen damn years.

You don't want progress, you want now. You don't want to have any perspective, you want to wake up tomorrow and have us in the playoff race.

Well, I hate to break it to you but that ain't gonna happen.

Either you think this team is moving in the right direction by building through the minors and taking the time to do things right, or you think it's a failure and want to see major changes and another rebuild.

Choose your side.

You misunderstood my post.. I don't want instant results now.. I know this isn't the New York Yankees and Red Sox's where the fans expect every year to be a contender.. I want progression, I want moves made to better the future.. I want the O's to beat teams they should beat. I'm not asking for miracles, I'm asking for PROGRESSION!

Spare me with we have this player and that player doing this and that... Progression is winning more games than the previous year regardless of individual efforts.

As someone said, you are the one B-&-M-ing about the losing.

Either you believe the way the team is moving will translate into wins as the talent improves, or you don't. It won't happen overnight, but the two defining features of a fan are belief and hope. Do you believe the team is moving the right direction?

Archived