Phillies are scouting Sherrill. What would we want in return?

My O's Face

- No, it couldnt have been done mid-season--especially sponsorship pieces which are hammered out far in advance. This I know. And I believe most premium seating/suites packages are also sold in advance. Regardless...as I said, it would be minimal impact...there nonetheless.

- Yes, that's easy to say in hindsight...if he was having a monster year (actually all he would need is a first half)...he could have easily said I'll just go to FA

- I don't know if that much better than 2 picks. Either way, not a return that really would have helped us all that much.

- And the rest of it is once again, you using hindsight to retro-fit a point. There was ample reason to sign Roberts this off-season. To sit back and brow-beat it now is just ridiculous. Perhaps he could have waited...it's still much ado about nothing. You GREATLY exaggerate the impact of waiting.

And it's pretty insulting to sit there and tell me I'm not considering all the angles...considering that NEITHER of us have access to any of the behind-the-scenes angles. Roberts and his agent coud have easily been saying they would refuse to negotiate in season...or other like threats that needed to be taken seriously.

LOL...How am I exaggerating it?

True or false...Had BRob not been signed to an extension, AM would be more likely to shop him?

That's my only point.

As far as him not negotiating during the season...Fine...While I don't buy that, let's say that is true...So what? You can still sign him after the season.

Hell, you could have traded him and still signed him anyway!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True or false...Had BRob not been signed to an extension, AM would be more likely to shop him?

That's my only point.

As far as him not negotiating during the season...Fine...While I don't buy that, let's say that is true...So what? You can still sign him after the season.

How did a thread about the Phillies get on the subject of Roberts!

How did a thread about the Phillies get on the subject of Roberts!

Well, the Phillies are the World Champions of Baseball and they are willing to make moves to win. We on the other hand refused to spend Trillions of dollars for Tex and instead gave Brian Roberts money and now are all of a sudden one of the worst teams in baseball. We were that close...so, in looking at what Philly might give us for GS, it naturally caused a close comparison of the two teams, and well, that's how it happend.:rolleyes:

......speaking from the other side of the fence......

We'll give you Taylor and and any other "non-pitcher" prospect for Sherrill and the new kid "Cla Meredith"......

......don't be too quick to say "no"....you'll regret it when Taylor turns out to be a better power hitter than anyone the O's have on the ML or MiL rosters for the next 10 years......

So you would give Taylor and Donald for Sherrill and Meredith?

Can you please be the Phil's GM.:pray:

;)

So you would give Taylor and Donald for Sherrill and Meredith?

Can you please be the Phil's GM.:pray:

;)

Not to sound smug.....but the Phils are in position (if they play this trade deadline right) to possibly win one, maybe two more championships.....

and the talk up here is, if the minors sole purpose is to help the big club win championships.....and, if you can make trades without subtracting from the ML roster ......then make the trades.....

The Phils have something like 38 sell outs in 43 home games and are making money like they are printing it in the basement at CBP.....

If RA doesn't clear the cupboard getting Roy from the Bluejays...watch for the Phils to make multiple trades.....

...just heard on the radio up here that the Phils are interested in Sherrill and some O's prospects for Taylor or Brown and some other Phils' prospects......

Ahh.....it's good to be a Phils fan (after 15+ years of lousy baseball)!

.....it should be an interesting next few days......

Go Phils!.....Go O's (my second favorite team)!

That's my only point.

Or he could have walked after the season because the O's didn't try to extend him....taking a similar or slightly less valuable deal with a bigger club and then made up the money lost thru incentives/bonuses outside endorsement deals....and McPhail didn't think it was worth risking that for both personnel and PR reasons.

You do understand that the baseball world is a business right? You do understand there are egos and there are backdoor deals and handshake agreements, right? That agents pit GMs against GMs, that agents explore other sources of revenue for players like sponsorships and endorsements, right? That it is perfectly conceivable for someone to match the O's offer, right?

Because you seem to operate in this world where all a GM needs to do is hop on gchat with his copy of baseball prospectus, a link to fangraphs and list of updated rosters and just start throwing out ideas.

Perhaps he could have waited...perhaps Roberts would have taken this deal no matter...perhaps the value in a trade would still be high.

The fact is he locked up a good player to a deal that will--in all likelihood--be lived up to. To sit here and call the man foolish...to imply that he is short-sighted is--in my book--a TREMENDOUS exaggeration.

If you want to sit here and believe that no variable would have changed and Roberts would have signed the same deal in January, July or this coming November no matter what, fine. But call it what it is...conjecture. I'm not going to sit here and say Andy McPhail was foolish for offering a good, popular player a fair deal--without knowing anything about what was happening behind-the-scenes.

It's hilarious the authority and validation you give yourself. It's pretty damn easy calling the shots from the cheap seats...doubt you'd be able to get half the crap done you suggest in the real baseball reality.

It was a fair deal...one we likely won't regret. I'm not gonna sit around and call a man foolish for that.

...just heard on the radio up here that the Phils are interested in Sherrill and some O's prospects for Taylor or Brown and some other Phils' prospects......

I'd love to get Taylor, but if we can get Donald as well... I'd go nuts. Donald is having a down season, but has great potential (whether it's at SS or 3B).

Or he could have walked after the season because the O's didn't try to extend him....taking a similar or slightly less valuable deal with a bigger club and then made up the money lost thru incentives/bonuses outside endorsement deals....and McPhail didn't think it was worth risking that for both personnel and PR reasons.

And if he did leave, so be it...I would have preferred that option anyway.

You do understand that the baseball world is a business right? You do understand there are egos and there are backdoor deals and handshake agreements, right? That agents pit GMs against GMs, that agents explore other sources of revenue for players like sponsorships and endorsements, right? That it is perfectly conceivable for someone to match the O's offer, right?
Highly unlikely...BRob is worth more to us than any other team.
I'm not gonna sit around and call a man foolish for that

Good for you...What kind of cookie would you like? Oatmeal raisin? Chocolate Chip? Something else perhaps?

Not to sound smug.....but the Phils are in position (if they play this trade deadline right) to possibly win one, maybe two more championships.....

and the talk up here is, if the minors sole purpose is to help the big club win championships.....and, if you can make trades without subtracting from the ML roster ......then make the trades.....

The Phils have something like 38 sell outs in 43 home games and are making money like they are printing it in the basement at CBP.....

If RA doesn't clear the cupboard getting Roy from the Bluejays...watch for the Phils to make multiple trades.....

Ahh.....it's good to be a Phils fan (after 15+ years of lousy baseball)!

.....it should be an interesting next few days......

Go Phils!.....Go O's (my second favorite team)!

Was it a legit sports writer .... or talk radio & a caller?

Archived