Dominos beginning to fall in trade market

bluedog

From the Jim Callis Chat:

Glen (Philadelphia)

Ken Rosenthal is reporting the Phillies acquired Cliff Lee and Ben Francisco for Knapp, Donald, Marson, and Carasco. Thoughts on this deal?

Jim Callis (2:09 PM)

Stunned, frankly. From everything we've read about the Phillies, it seems the four pieces they value the most right now are in some order, Kyle Drabek, Dominic Brown, J.A. Happ and Michael Taylor. The Indians didn't get any of them. They got one high-upside guy (Knapp), and he's in low Class A and has some shoulder fatigue. The rest of the guys are solid regulars at best--they're not stars. Lee is very affordable for next season, and the AL Central is a very winnable division. I don't like this trade at all for the Indians. From the Phillies' standpoint, this is a great deal, to hold on to the young guys you want and get a frontline starter. I'd rather have Halladay than Lee, but I'd rather give up this package for Lee than meet J.P. Ricciardi's reported demands for Halladay.

OK, OK, I'm also taking into account the V-mart trade that is about to happen... They also got Marson for a reason.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any precedent where a reliever/closer was dealt for a stud MiL?

Who was the last really good closer to be traded? Of course, I don't know that you could call Sherrill really good. I personally think he is, but I don't believe that is the general perception.

Guest BrettMeister86

Halladay

Beckett

Lester

Sickest 1,2,3 in baseball. I won't even be able to watch those games.

This BRob, VMart stuff is getting to be a pain. It's bad enough when it's our own team, but it took me ten minutes to figure out that we were talking about Victor Martinez. :o At least, I assume that's who we're talking about. I now have one more reason to hate A-Rod; for starting this abbreviated name stuff.

I'm still hoping for the Phillies, I'm sticking to their is a reason they wanted an outfielder in that Lee deal.
Francisco would fill the Phillies' longstanding need for a right-handed hitter off the bench. Lee would give the Phillies four left-handed starters, along with Cole Hamels, J.A. Happ and Jamie Moyer. But Happ or Moyer could go to the bullpen once right-hander Pedro Martinez is ready to pitch in the majors.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9866900/Sources:-Phils-reach-agreement-for-Indians'-Lee

Archived