Dominos beginning to fall in trade market

bluedog

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This BRob, VMart stuff is getting to be a pain. It's bad enough when it's our own team, but it took me ten minutes to figure out that we were talking about Victor Martinez. :o At least, I assume that's who we're talking about. I now have one more reason to hate A-Rod; for starting this abbreviated name stuff.

I think it goes way back to BRuth and TCobb and GSis.:laughlol:

Totally agree with Callis...This wasn't a good deal for Cleveland, at least right now...Things could change of course.

I remember reading that the Indians have to cut their payroll down to $50M next year. Wood, Hafner, and Westbrook take up 60% of that amount, with Lee and Martinez coming in as the 4th and 5th highest paid players on the team.

I think people need to stop this "if we don't trade Sherrill then I will be very disappointed" bellyaching. You don't make trades simply to make trades. A player is worth what other people will give up for him. If we are not going to get a prospect significantly better than say, a Turner or a Snyder, then it really is not worth trading our closer. AM is doing the right thing by holding out for something substantial, and if we don't get it, so be it. I look at what the Indians got for Lee and I would be furious if I were a Tribe fan. As a GM you have to be willing to hold onto a player if what you deem as their value does not match what people are offering. I think AM has proven himself to be worthy in this regard.

I think it goes way back to BRuth and TCobb and GSis.:laughlol:

C'mon, El Gordo! You know The Babe was The Babe but Cobb was TyCo (where do you think the company got it's name from?) and Sisler was not GSis, he was G Sizzle! :D Take that Suggs!

I think people need to stop this "if we don't trade Sherrill then I will be very disappointed" bellyaching. You don't make trades simply to make trades. A player is worth what other people will give up for him. If we are not going to get a prospect significantly better than say, a Turner or a Snyder, then it really is not worth trading our closer. AM is doing the right thing by holding out for something substantial, and if we don't get it, so be it. I look at what the Indians got for Lee and I would be furious if I were a Tribe fan. As a GM you have to be willing to hold onto a player if what you deem as their value does not match what people are offering. I think AM has proven himself to be worthy in this regard.

Good point. Good post.

I agree. DOn't think anything is going to happen. There is no market out there for Huff or Scott, it seems. And Sherrill market is so-so, apparently. I think I'd like an Eric Gagne type return, but I don't think anyone is going to do that.

Doesn't look that way...I think Toronto wants too much for Halladay personally.

Agreed. Theo values his young "chips" and the Sox long term future too much to do this deal, unless the Jays reduce their apparent requests significantly.

Matt Stairs is my first thought.

If they want to move an infielder it's between Dobbs and Brunlett.

I kind of doubt the release Matt Stairs, Hasn't he crushed the ball off the bench for them this season. I know his average isn't high (somewhere around .250), but I thought he had some bigtime PH homeruns for them this year.

I kind of doubt the release Matt Stairs, Hasn't he crushed the ball off the bench for them this season. I know his average isn't high (somewhere around .250), but I thought he had some bigtime PH homeruns for them this year.

Well, Ibanez, Victorino and Werth are their starters. Mayberry is young and did well during the Ibanez DL time.

Stairs has 4 HR's in 69 AB's, not really that special. And he is 41 yo.

I agree. DOn't think anything is going to happen. There is no market out there for Huff or Scott, it seems. And Sherrill market is so-so, apparently. I think I'd like an Eric Gagne type return, but I don't think anyone is going to do that.

So-so? Everyone is saying he is the hottest reliever on the market...

I honestly think it all depends if Philly wants to use Sherrill as a closer. If they consider him their closer, they might be willing to part with Taylor. If not, I don't see it happening.

I definitely think Taylor is wishful thinking as well. However, I think the way Lidge has been pitching, Philly is the most likely team to use Sherill as a closer.

Archived