Dominos beginning to fall in trade market

bluedog

Shocking. El Gordo attacks you for something you didn't say, never suggested and wouldn't even consider.

Yea I know...He is the biggest troll...Way worse than JTrea, Old Fan or any of the other guys that get called trolls. It really is pathetic.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if we want to talk dominos, then what is the effect on the O's of the deals being made?

1) Glad to see the Lee trade happen with a couple of days to go to the deadline. It gives MacPhail more time to talk to the other GMs with the field of tradable pitchers decreased a little.

2) For Lee the return was 4 of the Phillies top 10 prospects according to BA and three of those players were top 100 prospect between slots 50 and 80. Good to see that kind of prospect base traded when the O's are trying to trade veterans.

3) The team with the second best record in the NL added a former Cy Young winner. That may make the team with the best record, the Dodgers, feel like they have to make a move too. Not to make the playoffs but to win in the playoffs.

4) Meanwhile the Giants acquisition of Sanchez probably does not bother the Dodgers as much as it may make the Rockies and Marlins feel like they need to make move to stay in the wildcard. Might affect Hendrickson and Sherrill.

5) The biggest stumbling block remaining is that the Jays could still move Halladay, Downs or League. All could affect the O's trade of Sherrill depending on where they go, if they go. I know there are reports that these guys are not moving because the Jays are asking for too much but that can change in a minute.

There are my 5 biggest effect on the O's. What do you see?

So if we want to talk dominos, then what is the effect on the O's of the deals being made?

1) Glad to see the Lee trade happen with a couple of days to go to the deadline. It gives MacPhail more time to talk to the other GMs with the field of tradable pitchers decreased a little.

2) For Lee the return was 4 of the Phillies top 10 prospects according to BA and three of those players were top 100 prospect between slots 50 and 80. Good to see that kind of prospect base traded when the O's are trying to trade veterans.

3) The team with the second best record in the NL added a former Cy Young winner. That may make the team with the best record, the Dodgers, feel like they have to make a move too. Not to make the playoffs but to win in the playoffs.

4) Meanwhile the Giants acquisition of Sanchez probably does not bother the Dodgers as much as it may make the Rockies and Marlins feel like they need to make move to stay in the wildcard. Might affect Hendrickson and Sherrill.

5) The biggest stumbling block remaining is that the Jays could still move Halladay, Downs or League. All could affect the O's trade of Sherrill depending on where they go, if they go. I know there are reports that these guys are not moving because the Jays are asking for too much but that can change in a minute.

There are my 5 biggest effect on the O's. What do you see?

Phillies Lidge is having a really bad year. they are trying to win the world series again. Sherrill would offer the a reliable closer for the stretch & the playoffs. Taylor & 1 would get it done:D

Taylor is an outfielder, isn't he? Why would the O's trade their best bargaining chip for an outfielder when they need corner infielders so much?

The thought is he will wind up at first...He is 6'6" and 250lbs..although he looks to be in great shape.

The thought is he will wind up at first...He is 6'6" and 250lbs..although he looks to be in great shape.

Say here that he has never played anything but the outfield.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=taylor010mic

MacPhail said the other night in any interview on MASN that he wanted depth at third base and first base. He said he was not looking for any more outfielders.

So are you saying that you would like to trade Sherrill for Taylor so you could trade Taylor for Wood or Bell????

Taylor could be used to pry away Forsythe or Darnell from SD, or put in a package to get AGon from SD.

Either way, SD is where I'd look to deal him. They don't have a use for Sherrill really but Taylor is somebody they could really want.

Meaningless...He can go to first...Big, athletic guy.

Right, meaningless. Develop a guy for years, all the way through the minors in the outfield and then switch him to first baseman as he gets to AAA where he has to learn basically everything about fielding first like positioning, foot work, toss to pitchers, scooping throws, pitchoff throws, etc.

Makes no sense to me. Sounds like what we have been talking about with Scott. Probably not that easy and takes a lot of time to get good at it.

If the O's want a corner infielder, they should trade for a corner infielder.

In the last hour or so, the Mariners and Pirates and now the Phils and Indians have completed 6 - 7 player trades.

Hopefully these two deals, both of which have taken a bunch of players off the table that were being considered by a number of teams, will get other teams off the fence and making moves of their own.

I don't know about anyone else, but if the trade deadline passes and AM doesn't do anything I'll be very disappointed.

I will be disappointed if we make a bad trade, which I do not think AM will do. One other thing, I will be very happy to not match what the Pirates are doing. They are giving good players away for players who may be good in 2 to 3 years. I know they have gotten a couple of nice prospects but their deals so far remind me a lot of the Syd Thrift purge of Orioles years ago.

Archived