8 teams after Sherrill!

bluedog

Only problem with that theory is that Sherrill in his last year with the Mariners had 3 saves and 4 blown saves.:eektf:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sherrge01-pitch.shtml

Depends on which way you look at it. There were many times in that year that he came in with guys already on base. If he gives up a hit to tie the game, that is a blown save, whether it is his run or not.

Also, GS was 13/15 in save chances in 2004 in AAA, and he was 7/8 in 2005 at AAA. He had been a closer in the past, including the Independent Leagues and college.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends on which way you look at it. There were many times in that year that he came in with guys already on base. If he gives up a hit to tie the game, that is a blown save, whether it is his run or not.

Also, GS was 13/15 in save chances in 2004 in AAA, and he was 7/8 in 2005 at AAA. He had been a closer in the past, including the Independent Leagues and college.

Well what makes you an authority on GS!!!! ****Nudge, Nudge***:scratchchinhmm::laughlol:

I jest, just trying to lighten it up a bit...

Well what makes you an authority on GS!!!! ****Nudge, Nudge***:scratchchinhmm::laughlol:

I jest, just trying to lighten it up a bit...

Well, I wasn't saying Johnson couldn't do it, hence why I mentioned it twice in my original post. I was just saying that is what some people are concerned about and listed the facts, plain and simple. But, oh well, such is life.

Remember, I go in the trade too, as just a normal throw in.

Well, I wasn't saying Johnson couldn't do it, hence why I mentioned it twice in my original post. I was just saying that is what some people are concerned about and listed the facts, plain and simple. But, oh well, such is life.

<i>Remember, I go in the trade too, as just a normal throw in.</i>

You think you could net us another player? :laughlol:

I saw your respect for JJ in the post, I was just trying to "Razz ya a lil' ". I figure these have to be hard times for you, not because GS couldn't handle him being dealt, I'm just sure its tough on family and when you put your heart into something (like the Orioles) and you want to see it come to fruition, it's got to be tough when you don't get to.

Like I said just trying to lighten it up a little.

Everyone loves Flat Breezy. One thing that Sherrill can be assured of is that if he is traded, Oriole fans will always remember him. He definitely has ingratiated himself with the fans. I doubt wherever he goes he will ever have the same relationship with the fans. Everyone loves him and wishes we could keep him, but the team needs to improve.

That being said, the high price the Orioles are asking is testament to the value the place in him. The fact that fans are not screaming to trade him says the same.

You think you could net us another player? :laughlol:

I don't know. I still have years of posting in me. What is that worth -- maybe more than Baez. :wedge:

If your bro gets traded, will you still post here at all?

Yeah, time to time. Especially, if whomever plays the O's. Won't have much reason otherwise.

I saw your respect for JJ in the post, I was just trying to "Razz ya a lil' ". I figure these have to be hard times for you, not because GS couldn't handle him being dealt, I'm just sure its tough on family and when you put your heart into something (like the Orioles) and you want to see it come to fruition, it's got to be tough when you don't get to.

Like I said just trying to lighten it up a little.

Not sure I would go that far. It has been hard for me to root for the O's the past year and a half. Never really liked the team, nor Cal for that matter. With the M's, I just had to cheer for the game to be close enough for my bro to be brough in. With the O's, I got to cheer for them to win, or he will just come in every fifth day like a one inning starter -- only to finish the game.

I don't see how he stays here either. There just has to be some discussion about these players coming back in return for Sherrill.

I too am in the belief that Sherrill will be the only one leaving (if he's even traded at all) with possibly Baez for a lesser deal.

Scott shows in the fox article as players that teams have interest that dont want to pick up a big name.

Saying you never really liked Cal is a good way to get a lot more people hopeful that your brother gets traded.

Why is that? Not everybody liked Ripken.

I hope he stays as he's got a lot of insight. I could care less what he thought about Ripken or the Orioles in general...

A good statistic for closers is WHIP, since you don't want your closer giving up walks or hits. Obviously less is more. On the Orioles, George Sherrill is the clear candidate for closer at 1.14 WHIP. Meredith and Mickolio have lower WHIPs but have considerably less innings. Technically Baez should be the closer, followed by Koji, then Johnson. After that you start getting into risky relief pitchers who like to put people on base.

We will not get a top 5 prospect for Sherill. GM's know his value is inflated, and McPhail is asking for top guys. Either his price drops and we are underwhelmed by the trade, or Sherill stays.

Look at what the Indians got back for a former Cy Young winner. Not any of the three "big" prospects the Phillies had. You think they're going to give up an outfield masher a top corner prospect for George Sherill? No way.

I presume you didn't see the HR Lidge gave up to Mark Reynold's last night.

Of course GS wouldn't close for the Phils, but there's nothing like a little panic to motivate a contender.

Archived