Sherrill Traded to Dodgers for Josh Bell & Steve Johnson

Greg Pappas

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a good point. Johnson will be the 6th starter in Bowie, so someone must move up.

I would assume Liz moves up, though it would be nice to see Matusz go up, though it would be hard to justify having him finish the year in AAA, and if he does so on a tear, having him go back to Norfolk to start 2010.

Forgot about Liz that would work too (please please please Matusz :clap3:)

According to Roch it's Bell's first year in AA after only 51 games in A last year. My guess is Bowie.

Bell doesn't have weight issues anymore...He lost 30 lbs before last year.

The Orioles did good here....For the sake of DNoz, I hope they protect Sherrill in the second half and don't send him out there to much because GS has a history of having poor second halves.

Agreed. AM recognized that GS value was as high as it will probably ever get right now. I'm sure he considered all the offers and acccepted the best, which took into consideration how players fit into our needs (i.e., CI). IMO, AM absolutely did the right thing here. Whether it works out, we will see, but he made the right move.

The Orioles trade the best reliever and closer on the market for a AA 3B prospect with weight issues and a run of the mill minor league pitcher. I know that moving George Sherrill made sense, but I was hoping that Steve Johnson would have been the third best player in the deal. I really thought a third player or a higher upside second player would have been in the deal. It will be interesting to see what the Cubs give up for Grabow.

We're talking about a left handed reliever here. . .

The earliest I'd think we'll see Bell is middle of next year assuming he handles Bowie this year and tears up AAA to begin next year.

Far more likely that the O's use Wiggy at 3b all of next year and Bell makes his debut late in 2010 or early in 2011.

Can't wait to see him in action. Lovely trade for a guy who was is being viewed as a LOOGY by the receiving team.

Agreed. AM recognized that GS value was as high as it will probably ever get right now. I'm sure he considered all the offers and acccepted the best, which took into consideration how players fit into our needs (i.e., CI). IMO, AM absolutely did the right thing here. Whether it works out, we will see, but he made the right move.

Some people are simply never going to be happy with anything AM does. Just about every trade he's made has improved the O's organization and still some people think he's doing a poor job.

Getting the two prospects of this caliber for a relief pitcher is just outstanding.

This strikes me as a solid trade, but not highway robbery. Two questions for the masses:

1. Is Josh Bell 2009 considered a better prospect than Scott Moore 2007? If so, why? Sickels had them both as C+ prospects and ranked in about the same spot.

2. For those who were bummed that we didn't trade Sherrill before the all star break last year, because his value declined as he did poorly in July, how do you feel now? Do you think we would have gotten more last year in June than we just got this July?

Obviously, the responses to no. 2 will be pure speculation. My personal opinion is that Sherrill's value now is higher than it was last June, and we probably would not have done any better last June than we just did.

Obviously, the responses to no. 2 will be pure speculation. My personal opinion is that Sherrill's value now is higher than it was last June, and we probably would not have done any better last June than we just did.

I agree with this... I was bummed that we didn't trade him last July but his value had indeed taken a hit. This season his value is MUCH higher than last midseason.

The only question I have is whether or not we got full value for him... but in Andy I trust :D

This strikes me as a solid trade, but not highway robbery. Two questions for the masses:

1. Is Josh Bell 2009 considered a better prospect than Scott Moore 2007? If so, why? Sickels had them both as C+ prospects and ranked in about the same spot.

2. For those who were bummed that we didn't trade Sherrill before the all star break last year, because his value declined as he did poorly in July, how do you feel now? Do you think we would have gotten more last year in June than we just got this July?

I think GS' value is higher this year than last.

As to Sickel's rankings, is that current as of now or before the season started? It seems that Bell has made some nice gains this year that have increased his value.

This is a very good question.

At age 23, Moore hit in AAA at .265/.373/.526/.899.

At age 22, Bell is hitting in AA at .296/.386/.497/.883.

What has been mentioned in this thread though is that the Southern League is full of pitcher's parks and a lot of those doubles would be home runs in major league parks, especially in the AL East.

When Moore was in the Southern League, he hit .276/.360/.479/.839, so Bell has him beat by nearly .040 points in OPS.

Archived