Sherrill Traded to Dodgers for Josh Bell & Steve Johnson

Greg Pappas

1. Is Josh Bell 2009 considered a better prospect than Scott Moore 2007? If so, why? Sickels had them both as C+ prospects and ranked in about the same spot.

God I sure hope so. If they are the same, Then we either robbed the Cubs big time by getting Moore for Traschel, or we are getting ripped off by the Cubs.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Orioles trade: Erik Bedard

Orioles receive: Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, Kam Mickolio, Tony Butler, Josh Bell & Steve Johnson

...plus: 2 half-seasons (out of 3) of all-star closing from Mr. Breezy! :clap3::clap3:

The fact that Bell has dealt with his weight issue and has improved his hitting speaks well of his character: it tells me he wants to improve and listens to his coaches and trainers.

Johnson looks more like a major-league long man or setup guy than a starter, but you never know. And if he keeps striking people out, he may enter the closer mix.

This strikes me as a solid trade, but not highway robbery.

I'm okay with that. On our side of the ledger, our two haven't hit their ceilings yet. They could both be better than Sherrill some day. I hope the Dodgers got what they wanted.

Yeah I think it's a so so trade.

Of note, Spencer Fordin said that one Baltimore official said the deal's not completed yet. Does that mean maybe we'll be getting another fringey type player? Or is he talking about physicals and such?

Here's hoping Bell is our 3B of the future.

The medical records are still being exchanged.

Both Bell and Johnson were told not to dress for their game tonight.

This strikes me as a solid trade, but not highway robbery. Two questions for the masses:

1. Is Josh Bell 2009 considered a better prospect than Scott Moore 2007? If so, why? Sickels had them both as C+ prospects and ranked in about the same spot.

2. For those who were bummed that we didn't trade Sherrill before the all star break last year, because his value declined as he did poorly in July, how do you feel now? Do you think we would have gotten more last year in June than we just got this July?

Obviously, the responses to no. 2 will be pure speculation. My personal opinion is that Sherrill's value now is higher than it was last June, and we probably would not have done any better last June than we just did.

Well Bell would get a better grade now as he's having a very good season and got his weight down.

Good trade, but as was just mentioned, Bell's defense will be key, I'd assume the O's scouts/AM feel he can stick at third, but we'll see.

Johnson also seems promising, although apparently doesn't have great potential.

Good return for a closer who is about to start making good money and despite his very good season so far, may not be best suited for closing, which is an overrated role anyway.

Archived