Sherrill Traded to Dodgers for Josh Bell & Steve Johnson

Greg Pappas

This is a very good question.

At age 23, Moore hit in AAA at .265/.373/.526/.899.

At age 22, Bell is hitting in AA at .296/.386/.497/.883.

What has been mentioned in this thread though is that the Southern League is full of pitcher's parks and a lot of those doubles would be home runs in major league parks, especially in the AL East.

When Moore was in the Southern League, he hit .276/.360/.479/.839, so Bell has him beat by nearly .040 points in OPS.

Scott Moore had a lot of potential. The guy was drafted 8th overall in 2002, he just didn't pan out. In 2007 he had already had one run at the major leagues and did okay. I don't know how comparable the two really are though. Oh and the Sickels projections were done December 28th, 2008. So I believe that's before the weight loss and obviously he's had a great year thus far.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles did good here....For the sake of DNoz, I hope they protect Sherrill in the second half and don't send him out there to much because GS has a history of having poor second halves.

Oh man, that makes me feel sooo much better. :P

Well, this is Joe Torre we're talking about -- the guy who single-handedly ended Scott Proctor's career and is responsible for Wade and Bellisario for being on the DL right now.

I don't think the Dodgers got him to be a LOOGY, so I'm sure Sherrill will have his fair share of innings. Here's hoping the rest of the pen can keep it up and the starters can pitch just a little deeper into the game.

Hardball Times says O's Win!

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_article/dodgers-strike-for-top-lefty-reliever/

Bell, 22, has a .296/.386/.497 line at Double-A, cranking 11 home runs. Since being drafted in the fourth round in 2005, he has done nothing but hit.

He's also done nothing but boot balls in the field, as his career .897 fielding percentage at third would suggest. Boy, that's ugly. He's at .929 this year, but that's still not even close to acceptable. That would rank second-to-last in the bigs, just ahead of Chipper Jones' current .919 fielding percentage.

Considering Melvin Mora is set to be a free agent after the year unless the team picks up his club option, the Orioles figure to give him every shot possible at sticking at third. Given Bell's only other competition at first base would be Brandon Snyder, however, and he moves to a league with a designated hitter, he has no shortage of options in front of him. I am personally very impressed with what Bell has done in his career so far. He's handle every level thrown at him offensively, and I would project him as the Orioles' starting third baseman in 2011.

Johnson, 21, just received a promotion to Double-A after posting a 3.82 ERA in 96.2 innings for High-A Inland Empire. For Chattanooga, he's posted a sterling 1.29 ERA in 10.2 innings, whiffing 15 and walking just three. It's another blue-chip arm to add to the Orioles' arsenal.

A very good move by AM. As I've been saying I just wish he would do more. I'm not sold on Bell at 3B nor switchhitting but the kid is still very young. An important part of the trade that is being overlooked is the fact LAD is picking up the remaining $1 million of GS contract. Hopefully we'll use it to sign some of those prospects. The bad part is I'm not sure I can stomach Dave Johnson now.... just kidding.

The Orioles trade the best reliever and closer on the market for a AA 3B prospect with weight issues and a run of the mill minor league pitcher. I know that moving George Sherrill made sense, but I was hoping that Steve Johnson would have been the third best player in the deal. I really thought a third player or a higher upside second player would have been in the deal. It will be interesting to see what the Cubs give up for Grabow.

Got a feeling AM visited that house well before dealings GS to LAD.

I was just listening to Steve Melewski on the radio...He listened in on the conference call with AM and these 2.

He said the Orioles have scouted for 1-2 years...That he has been an under the radar type guy..Like his arm and long term potential.

When talking about Bell, AM said they definitely view him as a third baseman...That since he lost his weight last year, that his lateral movement is better and it is something that he continues to improve on...He said the Orioles have been scouting Bell for a few months...that they targeted teams with depth at third base.

At this point, there is no thought of him going to first.

Said his power rated 70 on the 20-80 scale.

A very good move by AM. As I've been saying I just wish he would do more. I'm not sold on Bell at 3B nor switchhitting but the kid is still very young. An important part of the trade that is being overlooked is the fact LAD is picking up the remaining $1 million of GS contract. Hopefully we'll use it to sign some of those prospects. The bad part is I'm not sure I can stomach Dave Johnson now.... just kidding.

Any chance saving that million makes a big difference in us getting Sano or not?

Yes, it's good we're saving that money. But no, it doesn't work that way! Do you really think that absent this trade, we would not sign some of "those prospects" (not really sure whom you're referring to here -- but it's not all that important), and that simply because of this trade, we will now sign them? A million dollars is pocket change in making these kinds of calculations. If we had signed Tex, that would have been a budgetary game-changer. But not this kind of a trade.

Yes, it's good we're saving that money. But no, it doesn't work that way! Do you really think that absent this trade, we would not sign some of "those prospects" (not really sure whom you're referring to here -- but it's not all that important), and that simply because of this trade, we will now sign them? A million dollars is pocket change in making these kinds of calculations. If we had signed Tex, that would have been a budgetary game-changer. But not this kind of a trade.

Well, that seems to be why they got rid of Bradford.

That was 1 million dollars that was already spent..Hopefully that is put towards Sano or draft picks or something like that.

Its not a huge part of the deal but BB is right in mentioning it.

I've got to believe the $1M the Dodgers are picking up has to be going toward signing Sano or some of the draft picks such as Givens.

I was just listening to Steve Melewski on the radio...He listened in on the conference call with AM and these 2.

He said the Orioles have scouted for 1-2 years...That he has been an under the radar type guy..Like his arm and long term potential.

When talking about Bell, AM said they definitely view him as a third baseman...That since he lost his weight last year, that his lateral movement is better and it is something that he continues to improve on...He said the Orioles have been scouting Bell for a few months...that they targeted teams with depth at third base.

At this point, there is no thought of him going to first.

Said his power rated 70 on the 20-80 scale.

I like the sound approach to MacPhail's trade here. It sounds like both of these players the Orioles are very familiar with.

That is a ton of power too. And pretty solid plate discipline.

This was a great trade for the Orioles, as they pry away Bell, who is at worst our future 1B man, and get a back of the rotation starter in Johnson who could allow them to move more pitching to get another bat to fill in the other corner IF spot.

MacPhail has always been good at making trades for the Orioles, and it looks like he didn't disappoint here...

Archived