Steve Trachsel Traded

RichieRich

The front office got blasted for signing Steve Trachsel to replace the injured Kris Benson on short notice. They got blasted for essentially handing Trachsel a rotation spot without giving Hayden Penn a real shot to beat him out. They got blasted for not trading him by the July deadline. And they got blasted for not simply giving him away in the last few days.

I could have a field day picking out quotes from old threads on each of these points, but I won't bother. We all know that what I just said is 100% true.

Well, for once, the front office played their hand exactly right. The didn't fool around when Benson got hurt, they went right out and got the best available veteran. When Penn got hurt, the wisdom of that move became all the more apparent. And Trachsel rewarded them with a fine, gutsy season. They didn't just give him away when he was pitching poorly, they gave him a chance to bounce back, and he did. And then they held him right to the wire and got a couple of teams interested, and actually got some useful players in return.

Beautifully played, front office, beautifully played. And best of luck to Trax with the Cubs, too. He earned a lot of respect from me the way he handled himself this season.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The front office got blasted for signing Steve Trachsel to replace the injured Kris Benson on short notice. They got blasted for essentially handing Trachsel a rotation spot without giving Hayden Penn a real shot to beat him out. They got blasted for not trading him by the July deadline. And they got blasted for not simply giving him away in the last few days.

I could have a field day picking out quotes from old threads on each of these points, but I won't bother. We all know that what I just said is 100% true.

Well, for once, the front office played their hand exactly right. The didn't fool around when Benson got hurt, they went right out and got the best available veteran. When Penn got hurt, the wisdom of that move became all the more apparent. And Trachsel rewarded them with a fine, gutsy season. They didn't just give him away when he was pitching poorly, they gave him a chance to bounce back, and he did. And then they held him right to the wire and got a couple of teams interested, and actually got some useful players in return.

Beautifully played, front office, beautifully played. And best of luck to Trax with the Cubs, too. He earned a lot of respect from me the way he handled himself this season.

I agree.. I complained as much as anyone (though not as vocally on these boards), but in the end he gave us far more than we could have hoped for. I'm also rooting hard for the Cubs to win this year, so best of luck to Steve as he helps them out down the stretch!

It's certainly worked out, and they did a very good job of getting what they got for him. However, I'm not going to praise them much for signing him in the first place. He's had an incredibly lucky season, so the FO is quite lucky that he's turned out the way he has.

OK, I'll go there. I'll say it.

SG, you were right!:eek:

I NEVER thought Trachsel would get actual, useful players back. Amazing.

This is hindsight (cuz I never posted it...) but I was frankly surprised Trax wasn't traded earlier. With the august he's had, and Wells getting picked up (a comp I would think) and Esteban frickin Loaiza getting traded ( :eek: ) I saw no reason for Trax not to be the cream of the crop. Didn't really expect this good a deal tho. :)

Truest post of the day.

Let's hope it starts becoming a habit!

Or....maybe Moore takes over at third, and Mora becomes a super utility guy. I think that may be the best. You let him start at third against tough lefties, give him a start or two a week in LF...let him DH once a week.

Mora's versatility could really be useful to this team. They need him to buy into the idea.

I think it would make more sense to make Moore move around. A day a week at third, maybe 2 a week at first, day or two in left, day at DH. Run this flag up the pole and see how it waves.

This should be required re-reading for a bunch of you guys. Hopefully, you know who you are.

Great post, the Fo does deserve a lot of credit for this one. IMO this is the kind of stuff we can start to expect from them from now on. Will they be 100% right all the time, I doubt it but the good moves will out weigh the bad, unlike it has in the past.

He earned a lot of respect from everybody... sadly, he didn't get it from many... a lot of people talked about him like he was garbage, when in fact he did exactly what he was asked to do... and he did a lot of it precisely when we needed him the most... my hat is off to Trax... good man...

Trachsel says goodbye to 'fun' clubhouse

The Orioles consulted bullpen coach Alan Dunn, who was the minor league pitching coordinator for the Cubs, before making the deal. The Orioles are hoping Cherry will buoy the beleaguered middle relief corps.

"In the past, he's been a guy that has done a good job of throwing strikes," Dunn said. "He attacks the zone. When everything is clicking, his slider is his bread and butter pitch. He'll pitch anywhere from 90 to 94."

Yeah, but his peripherals sucked ... so he sucked. Good riddance.:rolleyes:

For the time we had him, we were (mostly) better off with him than we would have been without him.

I thank him for his service, wish him well with the Cubs, and look forward to positive results from the players we got for him.

All in all, I think things turned out pretty darned well.

Archived