Matusz might be coming soon.

Gurgi

Yeah, all that is true, but what about it being a good move for the player? I mean Matusz is the central character here. I just don't think that most fans grasp the huge disparity in the caliber of play, and the abilities of the players, between AA and the ML. While some have been able to make the leap, minor league and independent league baseball fields all over the country are littered with players who couldn't.

If the Oriole's do decide to call up Matusz, I hope it doesn't prove to be a mistake. IMHO, it's not worth the risk in a meaningless season.

Scouts were already saying he was our second best starter when he was drafted.

All he did since he has come up is reinforce those thoughts.

This could be huge. Tillman, Matusz, Bergy and Hernandez all get time in the ML THIS YEAR and start to develop into good ML starters. Next year might be very very interesting.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure what his IP is at for the year but they might just shut him down after Bergy comes back or I guess they could move him to the BP just he can keep learning against MLB hitters

He pitched 123 innings for U San Diego in 2007 and 123 last year.

Between Frederick and Bowie he is now at 112. I would guess his max would be around 140.

They could give him four starts in the first three weeks of August, option him back to Bowie to stop the clock on his service time, then shut him down.

Scouts were already saying he was our second best starter when he was drafted.

All he did since he has come up is reinforce those thoughts.

This could be huge. Tillman, Matusz, Bergy and Hernandez all get time in the ML THIS YEAR and start to develop into good ML starters. Next year might be very very interesting.

Hey, I hope my concerns are dead wrong, and Matusz proves that he does belong. But what happens if he comes up and gets rocked? And instead of having a confident pitcher heading into AAA ball or the ML at the start of next year, we end up with Hayden Penn or Garrett Olsen instead? Just saying....is it worth the risk just to satisfy a disgruntled fan base?

Hey, I hope my concerns are dead wrong, and Matusz proves that he does belongs. But what happens if he comes up and gets rocked? And instead of having a confident pitcher heading into AAA ball or the ML at the start of next year, we end up with Hayden Penn or Garrett Olsen instead? Just saying....is it worth the risk just to satisfy a disgruntled fan base?

What if he comes up and dominates the majors?

Hey, I hope my concerns are dead wrong, and Matusz proves that he does belongs. But what happens if he comes up and gets rocked? And instead of having a confident pitcher heading into AAA ball or the ML at the start of next year, we end up with Hayden Penn or Garrett Olsen instead? Just saying....is it worth the risk just to satisfy a disgruntled fan base?

Oh please you act like he is 12 years old and his feelings will get hurt if he has a couple of rough outings.

He is a big boy,and I am sure it will not wreck him mentally to a point where he will never be the same again if he struggles.

Not IMO.

lettuce

I am not sure that those guys will be effected all that much just because they don't have good outings. I don't think Olson had the stuff to be a good starter to begin with, IMO. I didn't see anything from him that would tell me that he is anywhere the pitcher these two guys are.

On top of that, they have great heads on their shoulders. I think they will be able to understand the moment and what happens to them. There are a lot of young guys on the roster right now that have just been through or are going through similar things, which can only help.

At the time Penn and Olson were coming up, there weren't that many, and I think that also hurt them.

So as far as the mental aspect, I didn't think Penn was the type of player mentally that these two are, or at least from the reports. The only one that could compare is Olson, and like I said before, I didn't think he had the stuff.

Do you really think Cabrera and Penn were ever expected to be as good as Matusz is expected to be? Maybe the Orioles said so, but certainly not anyone outside of the organization. I think Penn was ranked the 94th best prospect or something by Baseball America? That's a spot normally reserved for bullpen arms.

Or what if it just motivates him to work even harder than before? I think my suggestion is a lot more probable than Matusz sitting in the corner and crying.

Guest Sailor Jerry

He's looking at what, two starts while Bergesen is out? I'd be surprised if he was kept around for the rest of the season, especially with his innings count where it is. One start won't hurt. Two either, if he goes that far.

Presuming Matusz comes up, are all these guys (Bergesen, Wieters, Reimold, Hernandez, Berken, Matusz, Tillman) going to hit free agency at the same time? That is not something I'm looking forward to.

Six years down the road. We probably shop a couple of the lesser ones a year or two out.

We cant really let a hypothetical money crunch deter our moves today.

Archived