Melvin's Tipping Point

jamessemaj

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sailor Jerry

I'm a huge Mora guy, and have been since the O's got him. But this isn't little league where everyone gets to play. If you're hitting, you'll play. When Mora hits he plays, and has for all these years. Now, he isn't hitting, and surprise, he isn't playing.

The more he "demands" respect, the less I feel like giving it. Just shut up and hit MelMo...

Have to agree here. The guy has done a lot of good things over the years for the Orioles, but he's been terrible all year with the bat for a third baseman and Trembley has gone out of the way to "give him respect" by telling him when he was going to sit, keeping higher in the lineup than he should have, etc.

You want more playing time? Produce. Trembley wants to put the best team out there to avoid a collapse and if that means Mora sits, then he sits.

Earl Weaver sat Brook Robinson, and me thinks Brooks did a little more than Mora over the years.

He goes the respect crap again. Not, "how can I help the team" or " I've enjoyed my time here", it's all about Melvin and his foolish belief he is still a starter. Release him and mail the checks to his house. The clubhouse doesn't need this bull.

You'd have to assume that the words were directed at DT. That's pretty ironic considering that DT has given him more respect than he probably deserves. Talk about taking a knife in the back. Thanks Melvin.

Have to agree here. Trembly has gone out of his way to respect Mora, much to the chagrin of many around here. I think all along Mora was not a Trembley kind of guy because of his selfishness and penchant for making some bone headed running plays.

At some point you have to take a stand and it comes down to the fact that Mora is one of the worse offensive starting third baseman in baseball.

As much as I like Melmo and appreciate what he's done for this team, this is just a really selfish way he's going about it.

He's gotta realize he's producing. It's DT's job to put a winning team on the field and with all the late collapses and the articles here and there talking about DT might not be back next year I'd think even moreso DT would want to put the team on the field that gives him the best chance to win. Unfortunately, for MelMo to him that means he's being disrespected.

C'mon Melmo, this is the Oriole team. Not the MelMo team. DT's been very respectful about how he's gone about telling you when you get you're not playing and whatnot. Do you really think he had to do this?

I was wondering when this was going to come up. Would hate for MelMo to leave on bad terms. But at this point he needs to just realize he's a PT player at best.

Wow. I think that Trembley has been incredibly patient, and without actually being in the dugout or clubhouse I find it hard to imagine DT being anything but tactful.

This is really the kind of attitude that the O's need to put behind them.

As in running like hell the other direction.

This makes you appreciate Gregg Zaun. He might not have a batting title and an all-star appearance, but he's played in the majors for 14 years and does have a ring. And yet, when he was displaced by a kid with only one year of professional service, you didn't hear squat from him--rather, he relishes the role of mentor and veteran, and comes to the park ready to play once a week. And because of that, we'll [gladly] see him return next season.

It sounds like a case of displaced frustration to me. If Trembley understands that, he doesn't need to respond defensively. As a matter of fact, MelMo will eventually see that Trembley is treating him with respect if he doesn't respond defensively. If Trembley understands that this is displaced frustration, he doesn't need to worry about MelMo tearing apart the team. The other players, while probably and hopefully respecting what Mora has done, know what the deal is here.

Let him pout. DT needs to do what's best for the team period. Frankly, I'm not sure how many ears Melmo will have these days. There's no Miggy around. I assume that most of team would consider his demands/rants as nothing more than a little background noise. If his "belly aching" continues and AM believes it's hurting the team's morale/performance, then I would consider a release, as Trea suggests. Why can't Melmo see what the O's gave him, a great check and unlimited playing time for nine years.

Archived