Melvin's Tipping Point

jamessemaj

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roch quoting Trembley now:

"It's too bad that people's feelings are hurt or feel disrespected and all that. That has never been my intent," Trembley said. "I'm going to do the best I can for the team. I've never taken that stance to be personal toward anybody, and I think everybody understands that."

Good for you, Dave.

http://masnsports.com/2009/08/trembleys-response-to-mora.html

Young players need object lessons about how to gracefully conduct themselves in public and also how not to. I looks like they're getting both in a nice tidy package today.

A tip of the hat goes to DT here.

I'm not making a federal case out of it, but I think you're underselling it too. This shows a complete lack of control and ability to understand reality on his part. He shouldn't be excused from this behavior simply because he is irrational. Words have meaning.

Right, words do have meaning. Which is why Mora shouldn't use any while he's upset.

I agree that this reflects a bit of lag-time in Melvin's Reality Testing. Not sure how unusual it is for that to happen. I bet lots of guys felt the same thing as they were reaching the end of the road. I bet there was a day near the end when Brooks had a perfectly OK game, and found himself thinking "WTF?" when he was on the bench the next day. I bet that happens a lot. It's just that most of guys in that situation don't talk about it to the press. So, there's 2 failures of Reality Testing going on: one about his PT, the other about whether the press are his pals.

Mora needs to go. I have considered him a "cancer" for the last few years. His attitude and even his body language is not something I want the young guys to have to be around. He is totally acting like a "insider" with all of his whinning. :)

He probably does not have many friends left on this team. Maybe none.
Mora needs to go. I have considered him a "cancer" for the last few years.
Good riddance.

And I still think he was a juicer.

Here we go...

Too bad. I agree with the comments about ending it on bad terms with Melvin.

However - if he drops his no-trade clause and we trade him for a blue sky, I'm on it.

DT's fighting for his job here - he shoudn't have to justify to Mora anything.

This makes you appreciate Gregg Zaun. He might not have a batting title and an all-star appearance, but he's played in the majors for 14 years and does have a ring. And yet, when he was displaced by a kid with only one year of professional service, you didn't hear squat from him--rather, he relishes the role of mentor and veteran, and comes to the park ready to play once a week. And because of that, we'll [gladly] see him return next season.

To be fair, Zaun knew exactly what he was going to be doing when he signed a contract.

Mora quotes published July 27th by Dan Connolly in The Sun:

I want to be an Oriole forever, especially when you look at the numbers, and I’m behind Brooks Robinson playing third base,” Mora said. “You kind of look at that as neat.”

Mora has to play 20+ more games this year to pass DeCinces (782) in # of games played at third base. (Brooks has 2,870.) Will he get there? I think so.

If they want to pick up my option, that would be good,” he said. “If they don’t take it, that would be good, too, because then I could choose where I want to go

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-osnotes0727,0,5575243.story

"The only thing that I worry about is every time I see the paper' date=' I see the Orioles 13 or 15 games behind. When you see that, I'm not able to do my job and help my team win some games. I don't worry about home runs. I just worry about the team being in last place."

[/quote']

When you see this wording, keep in mind that Mora's not perfectly fluent English adds to his troubles with saying the wrong thing. (Not an excuse, I know.) My Dad has been here for 50 years and he still occasionally comes across the wrong way in small part because his English isn't as good as someone who went to school here. In the same article, Mora had asked for a second day off in a row to help clear his head.

http://www.cltv.com/bal-sp.osnotes03jul03,0,1331236.story

Earlier in the year, I remember Mora, Reimold, and Wieters all being sat on the same day. There was some minor criticism on OH. Mora said to the press something like, "Those two guys need to be in the lineup." Sorry, there have been too many articles for me to find that quote with a keyword search.

EDIT: So I may have butchered the English language here, myself. Eh, I'm not correcting it.

I don't think any one of us should be the least bit surprised by this. Mora is a habitual whiner. Always has been, always will be. If something doesn't go Melvin's way, Melvin will show his displeasure. Can't wait until this season is over and he's away with forever.

There are only two regular starting third basemen in the major leagues with a lower OPS than Mora: Garrett Atkins of Colorado and Emilio Bonifacio of Florida, and at least those two play more than one position.

Tired of hearing the same old Me Me Me Crap Melvin; go do it somewhere else.

On another note, Wiggington isn't much better, he also has an OPS under .700 and only 19 extra base hits as compared to Mora's 15 (and Mora has 40 more AB's).

If we are going to call Matusz up Tuesday, why not DFA Melvin and call up Josh Bell?

It's truly sad to watch some professional players as they reach the end of their careers. Too many don't know when to call it quits, and many of those don't know how to face the end gracefully. As talent erodes, only pride remains.

Pride is all that Mora has left, and pride will always roar in pain and defiance as reality transforms it into humility.

Archived