Melvin's Tipping Point

jamessemaj

I appreciate all Melvin has done on and off the field all these years, but this isn't good. He's been one of the better players on some bad teams and that I think has been a comfortable place for him. (I hope Roberts can break free from that culture and be a part of the future.) He's been a "good Oriole" but unfortunately that hasn't meant being a winner. It represents a large part of whats been wrong with this organization and what must change to protect the young talent so they can grow and succeed or we'll be in for more of the same.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melvin has received over $36m from the Orioles. He was underpaid in 2003-2005 and has been overpaid since. The way he should stick it to us is to hit from here on out, leave after the season, and sign a fat FA contract with someone else; that'd show us up for being ingrates.

Hold the line, Mr. Trembley. Wiggy may be our 3B next year, so he'll need the reps.

It's pretty crazy how people can't understand Melvin's frustration here. Sure, I wish he wouldn't have said what he said, but I can tell you that I'd feel the same way. He's been with a miserable team for pretty much his whole career and he's beyond frustrated.

Hopefully this is the end of it, or i'll be on the Melvin Mora bashing bandwagon as well. But I say one emotional outburst from a guy who's given everything to this team even though he knew they weren't going to win is fully understandable. I feel for the guy.

It's pretty crazy how people can't understand Melvin's frustration here. Sure, I wish he wouldn't have said what he said, but I can tell you that I'd feel the same way. He's been with a miserable team for pretty much his whole career and he's beyond frustrated.

Hopefully this is the end of it, or i'll be on the Melvin Mora bashing bandwagon as well. But I say one emotional outburst from a guy who's given everything to this team even though he knew they weren't going to win is fully understandable. I feel for the guy.

That's not it, and it's not just one emotional outburst. The guy's been an incessant whiner the past few years, and it hasn't been due to the team's performance. As others have mentioned, he sounds off damn near every time he sees reduced playing time or when he thinks he's being made to do stuff he doesn't think he has to do. The guy's a "me first" player through and through.

The 2nd half... 12 GS, 239/294/304/598! He's got 15 extra base hits for the whole year, in 316 PA!

You hit, you play! You don't, you sit!

MacPhail and DT should call him into the manager's office. If he agrees to have his playing time limited, he can stay. If not, thank him for his service and give him his release.

He apparently was interviewed on TV earlier and said basically the same things he told writers earlier so he hasn't calmed down. It's unfortunate he has to leave this way. I'm sure he will be another DFA victim soon.

It was the same interview. If you read the print quotes, they are the same that was said on MASN...

Thanks for the information. I thought it was a private TV interview. DT'S comments were right on the money. If Melvins attitude lingers he will be off the team in a matter of days. If his wife is not at the game today and is watching at home maybe she will be able to calm him down when he comes home. It's all about money today. "Me first" He wants another contract from somebody. I still think he will end up with Ozzie Guillen in Chicago with the White Sox or in St Louis. He's going to be platooned no matter where he ends his career.

Archived