Some things I've heard

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is to stop a college senior from intentionally not coming to terms with his drafted team in order to go to another organization?

A college senior doesn't have the Aug. deadline, he has much later, so if he doesn't sign he misses not just that half a season but a chunk of the next season as well, then you are looking at a 22-23 year old kid JUST starting out IF he signs quickly. It hurts their draft status a good bit, just not as much as it hurts the team.

Well, Givens expected to get 1st round money, when earlier this season before the start he was rated as a 1st rounder by many. So, even though he didnt perform like a 1st rounder this year, he thinks hes worth 1st round money, fine with me, Im ready to move on and sign someone else....

Unfortunately, that is absolutely the truth for some of these guys. I imagine it is a hard pill to swallow, but one that must be dealt with all the same.

From what I've seen, here is at least part of the problem:

First off, some of these kids have been told they would be first round picks since their freshmen or sophomore year, and it may have genuinely looked that way at the time. Unfortunately, some of them a) didn't have as good of a senior year as they had hoped, b) had an injury (big or small) that set them back somewhere along the line, or c) didn't continue to impress scouts at the same level as some of their equally-talented peers.

Couple that with the fact that they may have an advisor (or parents) telling them they should hold out for big bucks - and previous drafts to stoke their belief that waiting until the deadline will result in a bigger payout - and some of these kids really are having to take a moment to reflect, and hopefully accept, that things didn't turn out quite as they had hoped.

I could easily name five or more high school players from this draft that were highly touted as first rounders and slipped for reasons that didn't have to do with financial demands. I would also say that the majority of those same guys proved that they were serious about playing ball rather than holding out for the hope of extra cash, and they worked through any disappointment they had quickly and got out there and signed. Some of them are going to need a little more time to come to terms with their situation, or they are hoping August 17th turns out to be a big payday for them.

As for Jordan picking Givens because he had to make a quick decision after his other choices were taken, it just doesn't work that way. Teams have an entire board full of names they are interested in, and when one guy gets taken, they just move on to the next name on their board.

I, for one, like JJ's response about "I'll get over it." Who knows what may have been said or what demands may have changed to prompt a response like that, but I doubt he made it just as an idle threat. It is his job to get these guys to sign, and I'm sure he has every interest in doing just that provided the "negotiating head games" don't become such that it is in our best interest to just let a few of these guys go.

For an organization that's hoping to really make strides this second half of the season leading into next year -- losing a 20 year old shortstop who hasn't played baseball all summer yet thinks he's a player worth first round money is fine to me. If he signs, he's 4 years away at best. If he doesn't, you take the comp pick and go at it again next year. Given the unique nature of the draft, it's possible to really not lose much here (if anything at all) in the long run. If you asked me where I'd like to put my money, it isn't with the kid who's just hanging with friends before arguably his first potential pro season.

Some updates:

The O's are very close with ninth round pick RHP Ryan Berry out of Rice. In fact, this may already be done but just some final dotting of the I's and crossing of the T's need to be done.

Things are also looking good with 4th round selection RHP Randy Henry but nothing in the bag there yet.

On the other side, things are looking bleak with 2nd round pick Mychael Givens. Unless he has a change of heart or comes down off his first round pick asking price, look for the O's to collect their 2nd round compensation pick and use it next year's draft.

Berry is the man! Can't wait until they get him inked. To me, he's the best pitcher we selected.

Berry is the man! Can't wait until they get him inked. To me, he's the best pitcher we selected.

Actually he is the best pitcher we celected, at the moment kinda by default only because hes the only D1 college pitcher we selected that I can think of. But on the same token, these HS and JuCo kids are supposed to end up better and all have higher ceilings.

Some updates:

The O's are very close with ninth round pick RHP Ryan Berry out of Rice. In fact, this may already be done but just some final dotting of the I's and crossing of the T's need to be done.

Things are also looking good with 4th round selection RHP Randy Henry but nothing in the bag there yet.

On the other side, things are looking bleak with 2nd round pick Mychael Givens. Unless he has a change of heart or comes down off his first round pick asking price, look for the O's to collect their 2nd round compensation pick and use it next year's draft.

Any word on Tolliver, Ohlman, or Walters?

So, JJ has contingency plans in place ....

Personally, if it meant landing Ohlmann and one or two other HSers, and then picking in the second round twice next year, I prefer Givens go back into the pool for another time.

Of course, with the way the Pirates are spending $, I would rather sign Givens and get the extra couple HSers.

Archived