20/20 Rowell Hindsight

PlumOriole

Put me in the camp of not drafting high schoolers in the first round. After Loewen and Rowell I just feel you want someone that has a few more years of proven maturity, reliability and has battled better competition.

Just because you have picks like Rowell and Loewen that didn't work, for whatever the reason, shouldn't keep you from drafting them in the future if they are the best available player and you feel can and will be an asset to your organization.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are quite a few teams who drafted ahead of the Orioles who wish they had picked Lincecum, too. That's the way it goes. If Wieters, Matusz and Snyder all pan out, I'll happily take 3 out of 4. (Too soon to talk about Hobgood.)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34469

This is actually a pretty funny thread to look through.

I for one am not laughing when some genius picked Rowell and Beato when he could have had Lincecum and Chamberlain. :(:eek::cussing:This wretched drafting in years such as this has been one huge reason why the team never competes year after year after year.:(

I for one am not laughing when some genius picked Rowell and Beato when he could have had Lincecum and Chamberlain. :(:eek::cussing:This wretched drafting in years such as this has been one huge reason why the team never competes year after year after year.:(

Dude, stop. Just stop.

Hindsight is 20/20. Joba had arm issues leading up to the draft, and many teams thought that Lincecum's combination of delivery/frame was a recipe for disaster. Is it unfortunate that our guys haven't panned out? Sure, but according to the bible of baseball drafting, Baseball America, Billy Rowell and Pedro Beato were rated as the #13 and #20 prospects. A lot of people were wrong about these two, and it's a shame that we missed on both.

I know you are sarcastically calling Jordan a genius, but the guy's actually been pretty solid. And just to prove the point of hindsight being 20/20, you could look at the draft over the last 25 years, and find multiple "mis-drafts" every year.

He's hitting so poorly, I think a demotion might actually do him some good. I'm not sure which is a bigger kick to the self-confidence, a demotion to Delmarva or continuing to fail at Frederick.

I've watched a bunch of Frederick games this year. He's a complete mess at the plate. He can't seem to get around on a good fastball, he chases sliders in the dirt, he's completely overmatched up there.

I don't think he'll ever amount to anything, but I wouldn't mind seeing him try to find his stroke again at Delmarva or Aberdeen....

And some genius picked Moskos and Welker when he could have had Wieters and Arrieta.

What's your point?

People constantly point out the short end of the stick the Orioles get but the Orioles win just as many of these things. Heck, Matusz is making his major league debut tomorrow.

I think the Orioles learned some lessons with the Rowell selection. I know I was dissapointed at the time when he was drafted but only because I had seen Lincecum in Hawaii and was blown away by him. I recommended him to the Orioles scout by saying he was "One of the two best pitchers I've seen in scouting college and the minor leagues with Josh Beckett as the best back when he was in AA."

The Orioles went in a different direction and I truly think that if given the two players again, Jordan drafts the college pitcher. Maybe I'm wrong, and as we know Jordan is not against going against the conventional "publication wisdom," but I feel he would lean towards the pitching prospect over a raw but talented high school hitter.

I think the Orioles learned some lessons with the Rowell selection. I know I was dissapointed at the time when he was drafted but only because I had seen Lincecum in Hawaii and was blown away by him. I recommended him to the Orioles scout by saying he was "One of the two best pitchers I've seen in scouting college and the minor leagues with Josh Beckett as the best back when he was in AA."

The Orioles went in a different direction and I truly think that if given the two players again, Jordan drafts the college pitcher. Maybe I'm wrong, and as we know Jordan is not against going against the conventional "publication wisdom," but I feel he would lean towards the pitching prospect over a raw but talented high school hitter.

Doubtful it happens, but let's say Bryce Harper falls to the O's in next year's draft. Do you think they'd draft him?

Archived