30th rounder, Webb signs, an offer he couldnt refuse.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/08/03/sports/collegesports/z3b399b7ab25ee43a88257608000b2110.txt

Brenden Webb's summer took an unexpected turn over the weekend when he signed a professional contract with the Baltimore Orioles, he confirmed Monday.

A 30th-round draft pick of the Orioles in June after a fine freshman season at Palomar College, Webb was set to play next season at USC.

"But the Orioles came in and made me an offer I couldn't refuse," said Webb, at Mt. Carmel High graduate who was playing in the Northwoods League this summer.

"I had been in contact with the Orioles, but was committed to USC. Pro ball was an option, but I didn't think it was going to happen."

Baseball sources say the deal Webb signed Sunday is worth about $250,000.

Tony seems to be right. They are giving Mychal Givens money away to lower round guys to get them in the system.

I remember reading that this kid was pretty good. That Andy Seiler guy said that he wouldnt sign, but would be a very good one if we somehow got it done. You are right though, you can see the O's spending their money elsewhere.

Everyone remember though, just ebcause we are signing kids this far down in the draft doesnt mean thats the quality of ball player they are. This kid got what 3rd round money?

Nice to see our FO go after talents like this. $250k is fourth/fifth round $ - I believe in the range of what Miclat received last year - which was high for a 5th rounder.

FWIW, I do not believe this is Givens' $. We spent almost $1M on Bundy, Beal and Drake last year and a large majority of that was above slot plus we had another $500k - $750k (my estimate) out there for Brady, Martin and other. So, IMO, it is not surprising if we go $1.5M or so above slot on some of these kids who slipped - exclusive of the Givens' $.

Where we will save $ from last year is the $1M difference between Matusz and Hobgood, but if Berry costs a lot of $, the spend between the two drafts will likely be less than this $1M - especially if we go for kids like Ohlman. There is still a ways to go before the picture is complete, obviously, and the above is only my opinion - perhaps we are moving on to secondary choices and we really are spending Givens' $.

I'd like to think that is not the case and that our FO has decided to ramp up the above slot signings after the fifth round above last year's levels.

I think the money being spend is the money we saved on the pro-rated portion of Sherrill's contract. That was probably good for at least an extra

$1M(4-5 drafted overslot players). That is another benefit to the trade not to mention we just saved ourselves another arbitration case and got ourselves a young cheap 3B that will save us more money in the next 4 years if he pans out.

Perhaps a CF version of 2008 draftee Ronnie Welty?

I like this kid's package moreso than Kyle Hoppy's because of the power potential. Now, if we can just find a way to lock up Olhman and Tyler Naquin i'll feel pretty good about the young positional talent we've added.

Perhaps a CF version of 2008 draftee Ronnie Welty?

I like this kid's package moreso than Kyle Hoppy's because of the power potential. Now, if we can just find a way to lock up Olhman and Tyler Naquin i'll feel pretty good about the young positional talent we've added.

The article says he will report to the GCL squad, but where do we figure he'll start next season? If he matches the Welty comp, then he starts in Delmarva next year. Of course, Welty started in Bluefield when he was drafted.

Archived