Is the cupboard now bare?

DocJJ

The thing with the HS pitchers has been well supported over the years. BA did a study two or three years ago and the numbers do support QB's assertion. But, you can still get the Josh Beckett and Zach Greinke types. It is still done obviously, and my impression is that the development folks are doing a better job of getting the kids through their systems. You may only have a 40-60% success rate in drafting a HS pitcher high in the draft, but that gamble may be worth the chance of getting a Beckett or a Greinke.

I'd also add that HS coaches and parents are much more aware of what limits a kid should have as he grows, i.e. no curveballs before the ages of 15 or so, etc...

As far as the thread, the cupboard isn't bare after this season. But, it is depleted no doubt. The depth of the system is still much better than it was a few years ago, as far as legitimate prospects. The most accurate thing in this thread is that we won't have many top 100 types for a while, maybe three or four on the lower end of that list. Arrieta (20-40), Britton (20-40), Bell (40-60), Snyder (60-80) and Erbe (80-100) are the candidates for the top 100 as I see it, with guesses of how they may be rated...optimistically, very optimistically. :D

The next tier is a good size drop-off. Assuming that we can no longer count these guys: Wieters, Tillman, Matusz, Bergesen, Hernandez, Reimold, Mickolio and Berken. The next group (in no order really):

• Caleb Joseph C
  • Troy Patton LHSP (don't bet against him)
  • Xavier Avery OF*
  • Brandon Waring 1B/3B
  • Tyler Henson OF/3B
  • Ryan Adams 2B/?
  • Pedro Florimon SS#
  • Kyle Hudson CF*
  • Tim Bascom RHSP
  • Chorye Spoone RHSP (most seem to forget about him)
  • Ronnie Welty OF
  • Billy Rowell OF*
  • Rich Zagone LHSP
  • Jim Hoey RHRP (a guy who has apparently made significant strides?)
  • Joe Mahoney 1B*
  • LJ Hoes 2B
  • Oliver Drake RHSP
  • Pat Egan RHRP
  • Matt Angle OF*
  • Greg Miclat SS#
  • Bobby Stevens SS
  • Pedro Beato RHSP
  • John Marriotti RHRP
  • Radhames Liz RHSP (he may not qualify, but worth mentioning)
  • Elvin Polanco 1B#

After those 25, you have the guys like Garabez Rosa, Corey Thomas, Luis Ramirez, Jose Kianes, Matt Hobgood, Tyler Townsend, Jesse Beal, Bobby Bundy, Justin Moore, Vito Fabrizio, Jarrett Martin, Aaron Wirsch, Jacob Cowan, and whoever else signs from this past draft and INT FA's.

There are some guys I didn't mention like a Sean Gleason, who may belong on the list above. But I just wanted to throw something out there for the moment to show that it's not barren, just not the star power of this past season. Man, some of you guys are spoiled! :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. Take a look at Rookie, A, A+ and AA, and that's the answer.

Off the top of my head:

Pitching:

Drake;

Zagone;

Moreland;

Bundie;

Hobgood

Hitting:

Avery;

Bell;

C. Joseph;

Hoey;

Snyder

Just as the OP said, apart from Snyder, all of those guys have potential, but aren't currently highly touted prospects.

Since the major publications tend to be lagging indicators, our system ranking will probably jump based on how many successful people it produced this year.

You mean jumped back, right?

That will probably happen as we graduated several top flight prospects. I doubt we will have anyone in the top 20. Arrieta will probably nestle in the 20s with Britton in the 40s, Snyder in the 50s, Bell in the 60s . . . maybe, maybe, Hobgood toward the back.

We'll probably be in the 12-15 range next year.

I think Bell, Arrieta and Snyder all have a pretty good chance of coming up here before next season is over. Three guys in one year is pretty good.

And, there's always the possibility that the team could trade for another high-level prospect or two to replenish the system.

You have to consider how much has come out of all the other systems too.

Orioles BA top 10:

1. Matt Wieters, c -MLB

2. Chris Tillman, rhp -MLB

3. Brian Matusz, lhp -MLB

4. Jake Arrieta, rhp

5. Nolan Reimold, of -MLB

6. Brandon Erbe, rhp

7. Billy Rowell, 3b

8. Troy Patton, lhp

9. Brandon Snyder, 1b

10. Kam Mickolio, rhp -MLB

Rangers BA top 10:

1. Neftali Feliz, rhp -MLB

2. Derek Holland, lhp -MLB

3. Justin Smoak, 1b

4. Elvis Andrus, ss -MLB

5. Martin Perez, lhp

6. Taylor Teagarden, c -MLB

7. Engel Beltre, of

8. Michael Main, rhp

9. Julio Borbon, of -MLB

10. Max Ramirez, c/1b

Athletics BA top 10:

1. Brett Anderson, lhp -MLB

2. Trevor Cahill, rhp -MLB

3. Michael Inoa, rhp

4. Aaron Cunningham, of -MLB

5. Adrian Cardenas, 2b/ss

6. Chris Carter, 1b/3b/of

7. Gio Gonzalez, lhp -MLB

8. Vin Mazzaro, rhp -MLB

9. Jemile Weeks, 2b

10. James Simmons, rhp

Braves BA top ten:

1. Tommy Hanson, rhp -MLB

2. Jason Heyward, of

3. Jordan Schafer, of -MLB

4. Gorkys Hernandez, of -traded

5. Freddie Freeman, 1b

6. Cole Rohrbough, lhp

7. Jeff Locke, lhp -traded

8. Julio Teheran, rhp

9. Kris Medlen, rhp -MLB

10. Craig Kimbrel, rhp

Rays and Indians are not going to move very far though. But I'm just saying that every team promoted a lot of prospects this year, we aren't alone.

Archived