Orioles' 40 Man Roster 2009/2010 OffSeason Discussion

Crazysilver03

Roch makes a good point about Thall. Castillo is pitching himself into next years plans.

Added Thall and Castillo. DFA Sarfate and Aubrey after the season.

It is a close call between Liz and Sarfate IMO.

Ages as of start of 2010 season

Starters

1. Bergy - 24

2. Hernandez – 24

3. Tillman - 21/22

4. Guthrie - 31

5. Matusz - 23

Relievers

6. J Johnson - 26

7. Mickolio - 25 - has options

8. Ray -28

9. Uehara - 35

10. Hendrickson - 35 - re-signed

11. Albers - 27

12. Berken - 26 - has options

Additional pitchers

13. Lambert - 27 - has options

14. Castillo -34 – has options

15. Meredith -26 - has options

16. Erbe - 22 - has options

17. Perrault - 27 - has options

18. S Johnson - 22 - has options

19. Thall -24 - has options

20. Lebron -25 – has option

21. Perez - 25 - has options

22. Spoone - 24 - has options

23. Patton - 24 - has options

24. Liz - 26 - has options

Catchers

25. Wieters - 23

Outfielders

26. Markakis - 26

27. Jones - 24

28. Reimold - 26

29. Pie - 25

30. Montanez - 28 - has options

31. Fiorentino - 27 - Could be good in trade for a minor leaguer with options

1B

32. Scott – 31

33. Snyder - 23 - has options

34. Hughes - 26 -has options

2B

35. Roberts- 32

36. Turner - 25 - has options

SS

37. Izturis - 30

38. Andino - 25/26

3B

39. Wigginton - 32

40. Bell - 22 - has options

Exposed

Bass -28

Pauley - 26

Miller - 27/28

McCrory - 27

Waters - 29

Mora - 38 - FA

Moeller - 35

Baez - 32 - FA

Simon - 28

Hill - 30

Aubrey – 27/28

Sarfate - 29

Does not need to be protected

Arrieta - 24 - has options

Britton - 22 - has options

Waring - 24 - has options

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would guess that both Liz and Sarfate are off of the 40 man when the time comes. As much as I think Castillo is serviceable as a reliever, I wouldn't put him on the 40man. Sign him to a minor league contract with a ST invite. I doubt he does any better somewhere else but if he does, so long.

I see no reason to risk losing Castillo or Hendrickson if he will sign. The O's need lefties in the pen. They are often hard to get and expensive. Both these guys fit until Thall and Perez are ready.

I was not going to put Castillo of the 40 man roster but I listen to Trembley praise him night after night and I can't believe that Trembley would want to lose him. It will take several bad outings this month for MacPhail not to put him on the 40 man IMO.

If some team wanted Oscar Salazar after all his years in the minors then I find it hard to believe that Castillo will not get taken by someone or offered more money then MacPhail wants to pay if he is DFA'd. Right now he is under the O's control and making a heck of an impression.

Roch makes a good point about Thall. Castillo is pitching himself into next years plans.

Added Thall and Castillo. DFA Sarfate and Aubrey after the season.

It is a close call between Liz and Sarfate IMO.

Ages as of start of 2010 season

Starters

1. Bergy - 24

2. Hernandez – 24

3. Tillman - 21/22

4. Guthrie - 31

5. Matusz - 23

Relievers

6. J Johnson - 26

7. Mickolio - 25 - has options

8. Ray -28

9. Uehara - 35

10. Hendrickson - 35 - re-signed

11. Albers - 27

12. Berken - 26 - has options

Additional pitchers

13. Lambert - 27 - has options

14. Castillo -34 – has options

15. Meredith -26 - has options

16. Erbe - 22 - has options

17. Perrault - 27 - has options

18. S Johnson - 22 - has options

19. Thall -24 - has options

20. Lebron -25 – has option

21. Perez - 25 - has options

22. Spoone - 24 - has options

23. Patton - 24 - has options

24. Liz - 26 - has options

Catchers

25. Wieters - 23

Outfielders

26. Markakis - 26

27. Jones - 24

28. Reimold - 26

29. Pie - 25

30. Montanez - 28 - has options

31. Fiorentino - 27 - Could be good in trade for a minor leaguer with options

1B

32. Scott – 31

33. Snyder - 23 - has options

34. Hughes - 26 -has options

2B

35. Roberts- 32

36. Turner - 25 - has options

SS

37. Izturis - 30

38. Andino - 25/26

3B

39. Wigginton - 32

40. Bell - 22 - has options

Exposed

Bass -28

Pauley - 26

Miller - 27/28

McCrory - 27

Waters - 29

Mora - 38 - FA

Moeller - 35

Baez - 32 - FA

Simon - 28

Hill - 30

Aubrey – 27/28

Sarfate - 29

Does not need to be protected

Arrieta - 24 - has options

Britton - 22 - has options

Waring - 24 - has options

Nice list. But they always leave a spot open for a Rule 5 guy. I don't foresee that changing this year.

Nice list. But they always leave a spot open for a Rule 5 guy. I don't foresee that changing this year.

The O's are the ones that may lose player(s) in the Rule draft this year instead of picking up one. They are deeper this year then they have been in a long time. I think they full the roster this year and don't pick in the Rule 5 draft.

Just for kicks. Pick anyone off the above roster that you think is the worst guy and then tell me if he was exposed would he be picked by another team or if he was exposed to waivers would he make it through?

The O's are the ones that may lose player(s) in the Rule draft this year instead of picking up one. They are deeper this year then they have been in a long time. I think they full the roster this year and don't pick in the Rule 5 draft.

Just for kicks. Pick anyone off the above roster that you think is the worst guy and then tell me if he was exposed would he be picked by another team or if he was exposed to waivers would he make it through?

Just going with your 40, Hendrickson could be re-signed later.

Is there any reason we would need to have Hendrickson on the roster at the time of the rule 5 draft?

I think that MacPhail will try to sign him early to keep him out of FA. I, of course, could be wrong.

If Hendrickson and Castillo sign somewhere else MacPhail is going to have to spend at lot of money on the FA market to get equal talent IMO.

MacPhail is a miser when it come to spending. At yet he has been up to now.

As for the rule 5 draft, the player has to be kept on the choosing team for the full year or offered back. I think the following guys would either not be chosen or would be offered back at some point.

Rhyne Hughes

Radhames Liz

Chris Lambert

I value your opinion and you could be right, but I think all three would be chosen. We might get the chance to find out.

As to whether they would come back, that of course depends on how they play. There all have the talent to hold a position in the majors if they are put in the right position. I think Liz and Lambert would both be relievers and Hughes a bench player.

I look forward to seeing Lambert with the O's in Sept. I hope he is called up.

Two of the three are MacPhail acquisitions, so he must have saw something in them.

Since the OP was made, there have been some changes:

Sean Henn was acquired from the Twins. He is probably just added depth for September and should be removed from the 40 man roster following the season.

Justin Turner had his contract purchased. He was a definite to have it purchased after the season so this just gets the ball rolling earlier.

Guillermo Rodriguez had his contract purchased. He will be removed as soon as the season is over.

Chris Waters, Chris Lambert, Dennis Sarfate, Matt Albers, Bob McCrory, and Alberto Castillo were recalled for September. They are auditioning for their 40 man roster spots, though most of them will lose their spots irregardless of how they pitch.

Radhames Liz and Jim Miller weren't recalled for September. This pretty much says how the Orioles view them. They will be removed from the 40 man roster after the season.

Brian Bass has pitched horribly. No one will trade for him and we have more worthy candidates for the 40 man roster, so Bass will be removed from the roster as soon as the season is over.

Alberto Castillo has pitched decently. He did so last year as well but was still removed from the 40 man roster and resigned to a minor league contract. The same should occur this offseason.

Fiorentino had his contract purchased and has played well in limited time. I think a debate will arise regarding keeping Fiorentino as the 4th OF, which would be a decent idea. This would force Montanez back into the minors and he should hope the Orioles can trade him.

Definitely Added:

Brandon Snyder

Josh Bell

Brandon Erbe

Steve Johnson

Luis Lebron

Pedro Florimon

Josh Perrault

Lou Montanez (60 Day DL)

Brad Bergesen (60 Day DL)

Possibly Added:

Blake Davis

Ryan Adams

Rhyne Hughes

Definitely Removed:

Radhames Liz

Jim Miller

Brian Bass

Chris Waters

Alberto Castillo

Guillermo Rodriguez

Bob McCrory

Alfredo Simon (currently on 60 Day DL, not 40 man roster)

Rich Hill (currently on 60 Day DL, not 40 man roster)

Mark Hendrickson (Free Agency)

Melvin Mora (Free Agency)

Danys Baez (Free Agency)

Chad Moeller (Free Agency but with Option)

Sean Henn

Possibly Removed:

Chris Lambert

Robert Andino

Lou Montanez

Jeff Fiorentino

Michael Aubrey

Cla Meredith

Both Crazysilver and RZNJ are saying I am nuts to think that Castillo stays on the 40 man roster. You both could be right. However I think there is big difference between last year and this year. Walker and Sherrill are gone. There are are no major league ready lefty relievers on the roster if Castillo and Hendrickson are removed.

I think what happens between now and the end of the season could make a difference but if they both pitch well I think the will be on the 40 man roster come the Rule 5 draft. MacPhail is not going into next year without lefties in the pen and he will not overpay to get them in free agency. These guys are both stop gap lefty until Perez and Thall are ready. JMO.

Fiorentino had his contract purchased and has played well in limited time. I think a debate will arise regarding keeping Fiorentino as the 4th OF, which would be a decent idea. This would force Montanez back into the minors and he should hope the Orioles can trade him.

What debate? The O's already have 4 quality outfielders not including Fiorentino. Five, if you count Scott.

Fiorentino is a nice guy, but he's a dime-a-dozen AAA outfielder (sorry Frobby) and he will not be protected on the 40-man roster.

What debate? The O's already have 4 quality outfielders not including Fiorentino. Five, if you count Scott.

Fiorentino is a nice guy, but he's a dime-a-dozen AAA outfielder (sorry Frobby) and he will not be protected on the 40-man roster.

I believe if he shows well over the next few week he will be protected on the 40 man roster, but I agree he is too low on the depth chart to make it through the winter. He will probably be traded for a prospect who does not need to be protected on the 40 man roster.

MacPhail likes his inventory and I do not see him giving it away. If left unprotected Fio will be selected in the Rule 5 draft.

Right now Dennis is re building his arm strength. I agree on his chances of being protected come Dec. I believe it will all come down to the month he spends in Mexico closing for Hermisillo, which he did very well two years ago. If he does well, they may take a shot keeping him, or use his getting back to form as trade material combining him with another player. I don't think Am likes to just give players away.

As we talked about before, there is little sense using what he does right now as an indicator of what type of pitcher he really is. He lost too much time, lost most of his strength. He is a very positive person, has no belief that his career is in jeopardy. He is on the road to returning to where he was last year. Which in my mind, was a decent full first year in the AL East. It is mind boggling to think that this all started with a door clipping him on the shoulder last April. Oh well, one door closes and another one opens.

I like your posts but sorry, you have everyone being selected in the rule 5 draft. That's a 50/50 in Fio's case. Probably less than 50/50. There are a lot more Fio's around than you think. The reason Fio shouldn't be selected is this. He has no options left so he has to make the team next year or you risk losing him anyway. He's certainly no guarantee to make the team either.

I read in earlier posts that some people thin Ryan Adams might or should be protected. I put that possibility at 0%. First of all, he's just not that highly regarded. Second of all, with this defense, his only value to another team at this point is in his bat which hardly terrorized opponents in high A ball. Do you know of any team that would actually think of stashing Ryan Adams on their bench (especially with the limited number of bench players) just for the purpose of sending him back to the minors in 2010 and hoping he blossoms into a really good hitter? He offers ZERO to a ML team in 2010 without much promise of a payoff down the road. The chances of losing Ryan Adams is ZERO. Florimon, I think might be protected. I think it's a longshot that he'd be taken in the Rule 5 but I'd put the possibility at greater than zero. Given the dearth of legitimate SS prospects for the O's they might not want to risk even the minute chance that he's lost.

On Perrault, I'm confused. Sending him to the AFL is a signal that the O's like him and might protect him. However, they didn't call him up which sends the opposite signal. I'm admittedly confused on that one.

I think the O's will keep Albers. I hope the O's cut ties with Bass & Sarfate but I think it's 50/50 on their futures. If the O's think Sarfate can regain his mid 90's heat, they might gamble a spot on him. I'd bet against it though.

BTW, if I haven't said it before, I love this thread and I"m thankful for all of the work and expertise that CrazySilver has put into it.

I think the reason he won't be selected in the Rule V is that it would be cheaper to claim him when he's outrighted (in addition to the fact that the claiming team could outright him again later). I know that's semantics, depending on how you look at it. :D

Now, would Fio, Sarfate or Albers be claimed when outrighted? Maybe we hold onto them and then outright them in Feb. Either way, I don't think the Rule V is an issue for these guys.

That"s the thing about the rule five. You can't hold onto everyone you would like to. Tough decisions have to be made. Sometimes it's a gamble you roll the dice and don't protect a guy and hope he slides through.

As far as Dennis' velocity goes, even though his clavical was fractured in April he had the entire winter to do his usual prep work so he was ready when ST came around.

This past winter he had to have the surgical procedure done to set the bone and clean up the area. So, his regular workout regime didn't happen. He was behind from the beginning. That's where arm strength issues happen. The circulation problem, a left over from the surgery perhaps, no one is positive, is a concern first of all for your overall health. Forgetting the game for a minute, this could have been a very serious issue, life, certainly career ending. But, velocity wasn't affected too much I don't think. It's more you can't feel the ball right, so you don't let it go instinctfully.

The 4 months down time was the first 8 weeks of nothing. No lifting the baby etc. Then the 1 inning, off etc. A long period of down time causing the arm strenght to disappear. It takes a long time to build it back up. That's where he is at today. I think he will rebound. More important he knows he will. It's a matter of patience and trust.

Dennis was the closer on the '05 AAA champion Nashville Sounds. He closed in Mexico for a team that had a giant lead in their league when he left. He has the mental toughness to be successful in the game. Hopefully this was the last incident he will have to fight through for a long time.

Thanks.

Archived