Orioles' 40 Man Roster 2009/2010 OffSeason Discussion

Crazysilver03

Sarfate is making the decision harder. 6 games in the Mexican Winter League. 7.1 IP, one run, 7 SO, 4 saves.

Its not time to make the decision yet but weighing Sarfate vs Perrault vs Castillo vs waiting to sign Hendrickson. Or does Fiorentino or Hughes go unprotected? With Sarfate and Perrault still playing what happens in winter ball could matter.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sarfate is making the decision harder. 6 games in the Mexican Winter League. 7.1 IP, one run, 7 SO, 4 saves.

Its not time to make the decision yet but weighing Sarfate vs Perrault vs Castillo vs waiting to sign Hendrickson. Or does Fiorentino or Hughes go unprotected? With Sarfate and Perrault still playing what happens in winter ball could matter.

We have enough MLB data on Sarfate to go on. He's not very good. I see no reason to keep him on the roster and what he does in the Mexican Winter League wouldn't make much difference to me. I'd take my chances with someone else.

We have enough MLB data on Sarfate to go on. He's not very good. I see no reason to keep him on the roster and what he does in the Mexican Winter League wouldn't make much difference to me. I'd take my chances with someone else.

Well maybe. But if he was not healthy this year and now he is, then he may return to what he was in 2008. With a blazing fastball. What the Mexican League does is give him a chance to show he is healthy again.

2008 in relief:

4-1, 3.38 ERA, 64 IP, 43 H, 48 W, 71 SO, .195 average allowed

I think there is time to see what happens with him and Perrault over the next month.

Well maybe. But if he was not healthy this year and now he is, then he may return to what he was in 2008. With a blazing fastball. What the Mexican League does is give him a chance to show he is healthy again.

2008 in relief:

4-1, 3.38 ERA, 64 IP, 43 H, 48 W, 71 SO, .195 average allowed

I think there is time to see what happens with him and Perrault over the next month.

He throws hard (so do a lot of guys) but his track record indicates pretty clearly that he can't throw strikes consistently. He's allowed 81 walks in 119 MLB innings. Even his minor league numbers show a guy that has control issues. He's not young anymore and there's no reason to think that he will improve. In fact, between the injuries and age, I wouldn't be surprised if he loses a little off his fast ball. I don't have a problem offering him a minor league contract. I wouldn't consider a spot for him on our 40 man roster.

This projection reflects the Outrighting of Fio and Lambert

40 man roster projection

Starters

1. Bergy – 24

2. Matusz - 23

3. Tillman - 21/22

4. Guthrie – 31

5. Hernandez – 24

Relievers

6. J Johnson - 26

7. Mickolio - 25 - has options

8. Castillo -34 – has options

9. Uehara - 35

10. Hendrickson - 35 - re-signed

11. Meredith- 26 – has options

12. Berken - 26 - has options

Additional pitchers

13. Sarfate -29

14. Ray -28 – has options

15. Erbe - 22 - has options

16. Perrault - 27 - has options

17. S Johnson - 22 - has options

18. Thall -24 - has options

19. Lebron -25 – has option

20. Perez - 25 - has options

21. Spoone - 24 - has options

22. Patton - 24 - has option

Catchers

23. Wieters - 23

Outfielders

24. Markakis - 26

25. Jones - 24

26. Reimold - 26

27. Pie - 25

28. Montanez - 28 - has options

1B

29. Aubrey - 27/28

30. Scott – 31

31. Snyder - 23 - has options

32. Hughes - 26 -has options

2B

33. Roberts- 32

34. Turner - 25 - has options

SS

35. Izturis – 30

36. Andino – 25/26

37. Florimon – 23 – has options

3B

38. Wigginton - 32

39. Bell - 22 - has options

Exposed

Bass -28

Pauley - 26

Miller - 27/28

McCrory - 27

Waters - 29

Mora - 38 - FA

Moeller - 35

Baez - 32 - FA

Simon - 28

Hill - 30

Liz - 26

Henn - 28/29

Albers - 27

Lambert - 27 - has options

Fiorentino -26/27

Does not need to be protected

Arrieta - 24 - has options

Britton - 22 - has options

Waring - 24 - has options

Ages as of April 2010

Per Roch.

Moore was resigned to a minor league deal but can be taken in the Rule 5. So I wonder if he would pass or if they would give him a spot on the 40 man. I like having him around though.

Moore won't be added to the 40 man roster. No team will take him in the Rule 5 draft and actually keep him on their roster. He has to re-prove himself after two "bad" years at Norfolk.

• 2 weeks later...

By Nov 20th the O's have to set the 40 man roster for the Rule 5 draft. The roster is currently at 34. Here's who I think will come off the roster and who will be added.

DFA'd and/or Outrighted - (3) Waters, Bass and Liz

Will be added - (9) Bell, Snyder, Erbe, Perrualt, S. Johnson, Thall, Lebron, Hughes, and Florimon

Will stay on the roster for now - Albers and Sarfate

Will sign AAA contracts shortly after Nov 20th - Hendrickson and Moeller.

This keeps them in the O's organization over the winter and allows them to be added to the roster for Opening Day. They will not count against the 40 man roster until Opening Day.

By Nov 20th the O's have to set the 40 man roster for the Rule 5 draft. The roster is currently at 34. Here's who I think will come off the roster and who will be added.

DFA'd - (3) Waters, Bass and Liz

Will be added - (9) Bell, Snyder, Erbe, Perrualt, S. Johnson, Thall, Lebron, Hughes, and Florimon

Will stay on the roster for now - Albers and Sarfate

Will sign AAA contracts shortly after Nov 20th - Hendrickson and Moeller.

This keeps them in the O's organization over the winter and allows them to be added to the roster for Opening Day. They will not count against the 40 man roster until Opening Day.

Im o excited to see Luis Lebron pitch...I hope its in 2010. He is like a younger, and more advanced Liz!

I think Liz has the potential, but he needs better secondary pitches, an he needs to keep the fastball down

Archived