Alex Rios claimed on waivers

JTrea81

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He made $4 million last year, how much does he make this year and going forward? I know Toronto locked him up a few years ago like we did Markakis. Man I hope Markakis doesn't become Rios.

Markakis won't be Rios. He's been on fire since the break.

Rios has a horrible contract for his production, only rivaled by his teammate Vernon Wells...

Rios is making $5.9 million this season, and he is set to earn salaries of $9.7 million in 2010, $12 million in 2011, $12 million in 2012, $12.5 million in 2013, and $12.5 million in 2014.

Maybe, but Toronto also has the option of pulling him back.

Riccardi should be fired on the spot if he does that.

Letting Rios go could free up enough money for them to keep Halladay whose trade value will plummet as he gets closer to FA.

Calling it: The Mets claimed it.

Rep points if I'm right? JK

Seriously though, it's either the Mets or Angels.

But I really think it's the Mets.

Delgado is a free agent after this year. So is Brian Schneider. And Billy Wagner. So there's money that's freed up for this.

Calling it: The Mets claimed it.

Rep points if I'm right? JK

Seriously though, it's either the Mets or Angels.

But I really think it's the Mets.

Delgado is a free agent after this year. So is Brian Schneider. And Billy Wagner. So there's money that's freed up for this.

Oh, if he got as far as the Mets there's no doubt in my mind it was them. The question is if anyone in the AL or behind the Mets in the NL would have taken him first. The White Sox strike me as a team that might have done this.

Haha, it's good to know JTrea's insane single-player hate/love agendas aren't limited to O's or players the O's might sign.

Alex Rios is a good ball player having a bad year. That's all there is to it.

Also, isn't this what every team does every year? They expose big players to waivers just to see what interest there is. This is a complete non-issue.

Curious...

Though unlikely, the team that put a claim on Rios could, in theory, be the Orioles.

I'd prefer a lower salary certainly, but Rios is a good player that we could put in LF for the next five seasons, shifting Reimold to DH and freeing up Scott for an off-season trade. It's like signing Rios as a free agent, without losing picks... getting another quality -and still young- bat into the lineup.

Rios is outstanding defensively and could potentially be a good offensive player as well. Perhaps Toronto would eat a portion in return for a player or prospect?

Again, not likely, but while I'd be shocked, I could see some merit behind it.

Also, isn't this what every team does every year? They expose big players to waivers just to see what interest there is. This is a complete non-issue.

I think it's relatively unique that a player with what is generally considered to be an albatross of a contract is claimed. If I'm the Blue Jays I see if I can get anything from the team that claimed him but if not I still go ahead and let the team that claimed him have him and say thank you for taking this contract off my hands.

Archived