Worst Oriole Ever

Remember The Alomar

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jason Grimsley, and not only for his on the field suckitude, but b/c he was most likely the middle man connecting Gibbons, Roberts, et al to the juice.

That is pathetic to say that . You don't know that at all. Saying things like that without proof is flat wrong.

early 2000's Relief pitcher - first name Darrell. So bad I've put his last name out of mind. Think he ended up with an era heading to 20 when he was let go!

Darren Holmes. Always my personal favorite. In 2000 he posted a 25.05 ERA and a 3.857 WHIP for Baltimore. His third team that year. Then we dumped him, and he kicked butt. Googling him to grab his stats, I saw a blurb saying he was linked to HGH in some fashion. Not soon enough for us.

That is pathetic to say that . You don't know that at all. Saying things like that without proof is flat wrong.

All he said was that Grimsley was probably the link. There isn't anything in that post that says that he was the link. It was just pure speculation about it. So it is actually kind of pathetic to accuse someone of saying something that they didn't actually say.

Back on topic... I'm going to say Glenn Davis.

Reggie Jackson.

I never liked the fact he utilized Baltimore as a pit stop on his way to bigger bucks. I'll grant trading for a player of that caliber in the final year of his contract was a big risk, but he never really considered the O's as a team he would sign with. He held out for more money, joined the team late and moved on.

Yes, he had a very solid year for that million bucks, but when a player is clearly marking time with your favorite team, it left me feeling a bit cold and bitter. And really, his signing in New York was the first reason I went from merely disliking our division rival Yankees to feeling far more hostile about the pinstrippers.

Out of curiosity, I looked up his wiki history, and no text mention of his time in Baltimore. It simply noted he was traded and the O's were listed as a team he was with on the far right. A literal blip on his career radar.

Reggie will always get my vote as Worst Oriole Ever.

-Don

Wait, he didn't make anywhere near a million bucks. I think it was somewhere around $250k. The story I always heard is that he wanted $1 million total for 5 years (i.e $200k a year) and Hank Peters said those numbers boggled his mind.

Even when he left the O's and went to the Yankees, he didn't make $1 million a year - he signed for 5 years for just under $3 million total, or not quite $600k per year. Salaries were a lot smaller back then.

Bob Bonner was a fairly putrid player, as was the real Drungo Hazewood.

Bob Bonner was a fairly putrid player, as was the real Drungo Hazewood.

The real Drungo was a pretty good prospect, he just never got a chance in the majors and I can't quite figure out what happened.

As a 19-year-old in AA in 1979 he held his own. Hit 21 homers and ended up with an OPS over .800. This was a pitcher's league, seeing less than 4.5 runs/team/game.

In 1980 he got sent back to AA, and hit a little better. .840 OPS, 28 homers, 74 walks. He did strike out a rather alarming 177 times. In any case, he and Cal Ripken had similar numbers outside of the Ks, and were clearly the two best hitters on the team. The O's rewarded him with a September callup, where he went 0-for-5.

In 1981 back he went to Charlotte for the third straight year. This time he really raked, putting up a .919 OPS at the age of 21. But at the end of the year he went up to Rochester for 18 games and didn't hit at all.

So in 1982 what to the O's do? They send him back to Charlotte for the 4th straight year. In '81 he'd hit almost exactly as well as Mike Young did in AA at the same age, and Young went up to Rochester in '82.

Maybe Drungo didn't take well to a 4th consecutive season in AA ball, maybe he sulked or pouted or gave up. Maybe he was hurt. I don't really know. But he hit poorly, and was out of baseball by the end of 1983.

Archived