Worst Oriole Ever

Remember The Alomar

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In honor of my deceased father, the two most dreadful Oriole pitchers: Ken Dixon & Tom Niedenfuer.

:no:

Ken Dixon?? The poor kid blew his arm out! That's not fair. Better to label Ken a big disappointment instead since his career was so short.

But man, Ken's minor league numbers were a thing of beauty and didn't he shutout Boston in one of his first starts? Really too bad what happened to him.

Go O's!

sfosfan

:no:

Ken Dixon?? The poor kid blew his arm out! That's not fair. Better to label Ken a big disappointment instead since his career was so short.

But man, Ken's minor league numbers were a thing of beauty and didn't he shutout Boston in one of his first starts? Really too bad what happened to him.

In 1983 Dixon went 16-8 with a 2.85 in 240 innings for Charlotte (AA). Excellent season. The innings probably contributed to his later decline.

But that was his only really good minor league season. The rest of his minor league career he was 40-50 with an ERA around 4.00.

His only major league shutout came against the Brewers in September of '85. In his 1984 callup he did make both of his starts against the Red Sox, one at home, one at Fenway. He went 6 innings in the first, seven in the second, allowing three runs in each.

In 1983 Dixon went 16-8 with a 2.85 in 240 innings for Charlotte (AA). Excellent season. The innings probably contributed to his later decline.

But that was his only really good minor league season. The rest of his minor league career he was 40-50 with an ERA around 4.00.

His only major league shutout came against the Brewers in September of '85. In his 1984 callup he did make both of his starts against the Red Sox, one at home, one at Fenway. He went 6 innings in the first, seven in the second, allowing three runs in each.

Thanks for the memories DH. I recall he pitched something like 210 innings with 240ish strikeouts in AA.

Era around 4.00? I'd love another starter like that right now.

Go O's!

sfosfan

Thanks for the memories DH. I recall he pitched something like 210 innings with 240ish strikeouts in AA.

Era around 4.00? I'd love another starter like that right now.

The O's have four or five rookies on the team right now who've done a lot better than Dixon's minor league numbers, save for that one year in Charlotte. Today you'd be treated like a child abuser if you let a AA starter throw 240 innings.

Archived