Adrian Gonzalez - Trade Target in 2010?

wildbillhiccup

Everyone talks about "developing" or signing a legitimate firstbaseman in the offseason. What about putting together a trade package for Adrian Gonzalez next season. There's no question the Pads will be looking to move him as the trade deadline approaches. I think Gonzalez, playing in a hitter's park like OPACY, could very well match Teixiera's production going forward.

We've grown the arms, now it's time to buy (or trade) for the bats. What would it take to land A-Gon? The Pads need EVERYTHING, so they'll probably be looking for quantity. Maybe one of our big three SPs, plus a collection of lower level prospects? Get ir dun.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is good, because we haven't talked about this possibility at all.;)

I don't want to give up the arms it would take to get him. No problem giving up a Reimold or Snyder, but not the arms it would take to get him.

You've got to give up talent to get talent.

Still I would rather see us pursue a less expensive bat like Gamel. But I have no problem with us going after AGon with our pitching.

One from Group A

Matusz, Tillman, Arrietta

One from Group B

Hernandez, Bergeson, Erbe, Patton

Two from Group C

Britton, Drake, Brundy, Zagone

Copyright.... Bluedog

Too many arms in that equation. SD needs everything, so you can take out an arm from group C and add Snyder and/or Reimold

Tillman, Britton/Erbe, Snyder and Reimold or Scott probably gets the deal done.

You've got to give up talent to get talent.

Still I would rather see us pursue a less expensive bat like Gamel. But I have no problem with us going after AGon with our pitching.

In the other thread, people suggested giving up Reimold, Snyder, and two pitchers to get Gonzo. Sorry, he might be good, but he's not THAT good. In that scenario we are giving up our projected long term left fielder, first baseman, and perhaps one or two starting rotation guys for ONE bat. No thanks. Too expensive. Plus we would then need to extend the guy at probably close to $20 million per season. If we were going to do that, why not just pay the $25 mill/season for Tex and keep our prospects.

All of these Gonzo threads are taking the place of the Tex threads. He's becoming an OH cult hero, but there is NO WAY he is worth four guys who are projected to be on our 25 man roster by 2011 or sooner.

And with that, Dip reaches the 7000 mark.

He's not worth what it'd cost, IMO.

Plus, I'm still burned that we didn't trade Ponson for him because of Fearless Leader. :mad:

A legit 35-40 hr/100 plus RBI threat for the next 5 years? Anyone know what the RedSox were offering for him before the trade deadline? I'm thinking a Tillman/Reimold package might get it done.

A legit 35-40 hr/100 plus RBI threat for the next 5 years? Anyone know what the RedSox were offering for him before the trade deadline? I'm thinking a Tillman/Reimold package might get it done.
I'd much rather have Tillman, Reimold, and $100M to spend on a different FA bat than have Adrian Gonzalez.

Firstly, we don't know IF he would extend here.

Secondly, Reimold could develop himself into a 25-30/100rbi guy.

And thirdly, Tillman could be the first ace we've had on this staff since the departure of some Moose guy ten years ago.

No thanks.

I'd much rather have Tillman, Reimold, and $100M to spend on a different FA bat than have Adrian Gonzalez.

Good luck trying to find one that wants to play here with Boston and the Yankees looking for bats in the next few offseasons.

The point is you trade for AGon because you can't get him in FA. Then you extend him after he gets comfortable with Baltimore, similar to what the Cubs under MacPhail did with Derrek Lee...

He won't leave if you offer him say an 8/160 deal IMO.

Firstly, we don't know IF he would extend here.

Secondly, Reimold could develop himself into a 25-30/100rbi guy.

And thirdly, Tillman could be the first ace we've had on this staff since the departure of some Moose guy ten years ago.

No thanks.

Reimold could develop into Luke Scott, Tillman could blow out his arm or become Gil Meche.

"It's better to trade a player too soon, than too late..."

Archived