Adrian Gonzalez - Trade Target in 2010?

wildbillhiccup

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck trying to find one that wants to play here with Boston and the Yankees looking for bats in the next few offseasons.

The point is you trade for AGon because you can't get him in FA. Then you extend him after he gets comfortable with Baltimore, similar to what the Cubs under MacPhail did with Derrek Lee...

He won't leave if you offer him say an 8/160 deal IMO.

How old is Gonzo? Does he have EIGHT more productive years in him? And if he decides not to stay (which I suspect he would leave) you have given up the future for 2 years of Gonzo, when we are no where near ready to contend.

What about Hernandez, Arrieta, and Snyder? One guy who has played well in the majors so far, another guy who is a top 10 pitching prospect, and one of our top 5 overall prospects?

Plus, I think these 3 are possibly some of our biggest boom-or-bust guys

Reimold could develop into Luke Scott, Tillman could blow out his arm or become Gil Meche.

"It's better to trade a player too soon, than too late..."

You realize that in both 2007 and 2008 Gil Meche was worth more than Adrian Gonzalez by himself, right? In 2008 Meche + Scott was worth four or five wins more than Gonzalez.

:D

I know you're joking but we obviously have no shot at a guy like Pujols, and there really aren't any other big time FA's who are in their late 20's that are going to be available..Certainly not in 2010 and I very much doubt there will be next season.

Hence why we should have went all out for Tex even more than we did, but we also have to react and not let that mistake haunt us from trying to improve now that we have some pieces to trade.

In no way should we hurt our depth big time by making a big trade, but as I said in the other thread, Reimold, Snyder, Arrieta, and Ray doesn't reallly do that and I would put that offer on par with any other offer that a team out there would make. These are unique guys in that they are major league ready, but all have 6 years of service time left.

I hear what you're saying, but that is just an awful lot to give up for a two year guy who likely would not resign here. If we were playing .500 ball NOW, and Gonzo was that final piece for next year, then MAAAAAAAAAAYBE I'd think about it, but no way in our current situation do I give up 4 players at a combined 24 years service time for 2 years of Gonzo.

If we could get Pie more AB's i would think he would be a decent trade chip to San Diego. His defense in that park.

Im ok with giving up Guthrie, Snyder, Scott, Pie, Erbe, and Hernandez. We are getting Montanez back next year. The moral of the story is pretty much all contenders have a legit first baseman. We dont. Im not saying give them all up or anything but its gonna take something close.

I hear what you're saying, but that is just an awful lot to give up for a two year guy who likely would not resign here. If we were playing .500 ball NOW, and Gonzo was that final piece for next year, then MAAAAAAAAAAYBE I'd think about it, but no way in our current situation do I give up 4 players at a combined 24 years service time for 2 years of Gonzo.

Exactly. If he were the final piece to a WS team, this would be vastly different, but he's not.

This is just impatient thinking imo, although it's certainly understandable given how painful all these years of losing have been.

Well do you think he will just flat out refuse to sign an extension? His agent isn't Boras I don't think....

Compare Gonzo to Tex. Is Tex any better? If so, it's not by alot.

We offered 150 for Tex and by some insider reports may have gone higher had he wanted to come here. So, use some of that money to lock him up. I mean even if he wants 6/120, why not? He's pretty much a sure thing.

And as I said, the option of trading him as a last resort is not really a bad last resort.

Put it this way...We aren't going to come out of it with 2 non playoff years of Gonzo as the only thing showing from this trade, at least if I were in charge. :laughlol:

I wouldn't say he's pretty much a sure thing, at least not in terms of being a $20 million player, this is a career year at the plate for him, and according to fangraphs, he has never been worth more than $15.4M prior to this season.

I think we'd come out of the first year without playoffs to show for it. The next year is more likely. However, with that being the case, I'd rather hope for him, Fielder, Pena, etc to hit the free agency market, and then only lose money and a pick, rather than a hefty package of young players.

How old is Gonzo? Does he have EIGHT more productive years in him? And if he decides not to stay (which I suspect he would leave) you have given up the future for 2 years of Gonzo, when we are no where near ready to contend.

Gonzo will be 28 next year.

You make sure he doesn't leave by surrounding him with what he needs to be on a winning team.

After you trade Tillman etc. for Gonzo, you spend on a Lackey for instance and you make sure that you have the pieces to win in the next two years.

You don't just add Gonzo and call it quits. You go all in and become a contender and then keep it going.

You make a commitment to winning and then go out and do it instead of hoping everything falls into place.

One from Group A

Matusz, Tillman, Arrietta

One from Group B

Hernandez, Bergeson, Erbe, Patton

Two from Group C

Britton, Drake, Brundy, Zagone

Copyright.... Bluedog

I agree it will take alot to get A Gon but i don't think it will take all of that pitching to get it done. It will take one of the big three and most likely Matusz because he from SD. My problem with it is if you can't get him to extend i'm not sure i want to give up what it would take to get him.

Gonzo will be 28 next year.

You make sure he doesn't leave by surrounding him with what he needs to be on a winning team.

After you trade Tillman etc. for Gonzo, you spend on a Lackey for instance and you make sure that you have the pieces to win in the next two years.

You don't just add Gonzo and call it quits. You go all in and become a contender and then keep it going.

You make a committment to winning and then go out and do it instead of hoping everything falls into place.

And sign Jason Bay to play LF

And sign Jason Bay to play LF

That's a possiblity or a Matt Holliday.

This team reminds me of the Celtics which wallowed for years not willing to commit to big FAs, then they trade for Garnett and get Ray Allen. and instantly they are the hottest ticket in Boston besides the Sox.

The Orioles need that type of push. They had it when Peter Angelos first bought the team, but the farm system had been ruined so it couldn't produce what we needed, nor did we have the drafting of Jordan, so after the FAs left, we had nothing.

Those parts have been fixed now, so an all out splurge could be sustained IMO because the infrastructure is in place to support it. But you've got to be willing to make that leap to get things started. We need that splash to show the players and the fans that we are serious about improving the ML team and making noise in the AL East.

That's a possiblity or a Matt Holliday.

This team reminds me of the Celtics which wallowed for years not willing to commit to big FAs, then they trade for Garnett and get Ray Allen. and instantly they are the hottest ticket in Boston besides the Sox.

The Orioles need that type of push. They had it when Peter Angelos first bought the team, but the farm system had been ruined so it couldn't produce what we needed, nor did we have the drafting of Jordan, so after the FAs left, we had nothing.

Those parts have been fixed now, so an all out splurge could be sustained IMO because the infrastructure is in place to support it. But you've got to be willing to make that leap to get things started. We need that splash to show the players and the fans that we are serious about improving the ML team and making noise in the AL East.

Star basketball players make a much bigger difference than star baseball players.

So while adding AGon, Bay/Holliday, maybe Hardy, and maybe a SP would certainly improve the team a lot, a lot else would have to go right to be an elite team next year.

Star basketball players make a much bigger difference than star baseball players.

So while it's possible that adding AGon, Bay/Holliday, maybe Hardy, and maybe a SP would certainly improve the team a lot, a lot else would have to go right to be an elite team next year.

Yeah like filling all the holes created to get AGon and Hardy and the possible pitcher if he is acquired via trade and not FA.

Archived